Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

How Easily Can a Hernia Be Mistaken For Epididymitis?

Dear All,

I am at a loss of ideas as to how to pursue what seems to be a hernia in my right lower abdomen (close to the groin). I started experiencing pain whenever I coughed and laughed about 2 months ago. There was no visible bump, however, so the doctor had a hard time diagnosing anything. The pain eventually got worse, and one day after playing football, an actual bump emerged. It makes sense that I have a hernia, also, because prior to the pain 2 months ago, I was working my lower abs pretty rigorously in the gym, possibly to an extreme that was unhealthy. Anyway, I went to a doctor, who booked a CAT scan to check for the hernia. Coincidentally, he felt my scrotum and told me he felt swelling/tenderness, and it could be epididymitis. He prescribed me 100 mg 2x/day for 10 days of doxycilin. We didn't have time, however, to book a Ultra sound before I left for China, where I am now. The CAT scan didn't reveal the hernia that I expected, but apparently this wasn't a huge surprise, since epididymitis apparently presents "hernia-like" pain sometimes. I have finished my anti-biotic prescription, and while the pain seems to be less prevalent (though in a weird way, it may not, I just don't laugh/cough as often as I used to now that I'm in China), the bump is still there, and now it's as big as ever.

Is it possible that the CAT scan missed the hernia? And how "hernia-like" is the pain from epididymitis? Do you have any knowledge of the safety of getting an operation in China? Or should I wait 3 months to return to the States? I would love to get it done with now, since I am pretty avid about working out, but obviously not at the expense of more important health issues. Any advice would be excellent, thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 14th, 2011
I had a hernia for over a year told my doc about the lump and he said it was probably nothing to worry about almost cost me my bowels, get another opinion ct's don't catch everything i know i work in a hospital. see a doctor or surgeon and have them examine you
|

replied January 26th, 2013
hi i went to the doctor for my testicle thinking i had cancer and he said it was a hernia. I still don't know for sure is it possible he was mistaken? could I have testicular cancer? and is it possible for a doctor to mistake testicular cancer or do they know 100% after 1 feel.
|