Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Forum

My 16 Year Old Son has a High Blood Pressure?

Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....
He has a blood pressure of 155/94 after I saw his medical report today. He has a father who smokes (he comes home for two of the seven days of the weeK) and doesn't excercise a lot. He also eats a lot of red meats.

What should he do to lower it? Does this mean he will suffer a heart attack soon?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper patrickl
|

replied September 20th, 2007
I would say have it checked again, one reading doesnt usually mean much. I had a similar experience (I am 15), but I ended up having similar readings at home (in comparison to doctors office). I would say have the doctor check it again sometime soon or buy a home monitor (not too much, they range from $20 to $100), and if its still high then have him run. I've been running a bit, and lowered my blood pressure from 146/93 to 135/84. Quite a big jump. Diet can also help alot, less salt would probably show a drop as well.
|

replied October 6th, 2007
It may not be accurate, but even if it were a "bit" higher than what his actual reading is, it's still high. I'm down with getting a home BPM. I really think that's important. I'm in my 20s & am dealing with pre-hypertension. I've had to make a few lifestyle modifications. Of course everyone will tell you that diet & exercise are key. As important as that is, it's easier said than done. I've been using the mayo clinic cook book which has a bunch of healthy & yummy foods. Also i strongly recommend looking into the resperate to lower blood pressure. You can check it out on their site. Also, stay far away from fast foods!!!!! Know what you're putting into your body!
Veronicca
|

replied October 6th, 2007
It may not be accurate, but even if it were a "bit" higher than what his actual reading is, it's still high. I'm down with getting a home BPM. I really think that's important. I'm in my 20s & am dealing with pre-hypertension. I've had to make a few lifestyle modifications. Of course everyone will tell you that diet & exercise are key. As important as that is, it's easier said than done. I've been using the mayo clinic cook book which has a bunch of healthy & yummy foods. Also i strongly recommend looking into the resperate to lower blood pressure. You can check it out on their site. Also, stay far away from fast foods!!!!! Know what you're putting into your body!
Veronicca
|

replied October 10th, 2007
Veronicca wrote:
Veronicca

Whitecoat for some is worse than you may think. I had a case a few years back when I was 12 and mine was 159/90.
|

replied December 23rd, 2012
Blood Pressure
My 12 year old son has been seen our family pediatrician lately because his blood pressure has been anywhere from 138/98 - 130/88. I am very concerned about this. None of the tests have alerted the Dr. to a medical reason, however, he is overweight and carries most of his weight in his abdomen. I am very hopeful that diet and exercise will help along with the diuretic he has been taking. As a mom, I am extremely worried!!!
|