Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Pain Management Forum

Chronic Pain - Nothing Is Working!

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Hi! I'm a 25-year-old woman and I'm having a serious issue with pain.

I have been having pains in my chest area for years, but in the last nine months, its become severe. My doctor did X-Rays, MRIs, CT Scans, blood tests, and finally determined (3 months ago) that it wasn't shingles (which I have a history of) or a heart or lung problem - but that it is Carpal Tunnel. So she prescribed me a wrist brace and exercises to strengthen the area and help with pain.

Here's my problem - my insurance ran out two months ago and I am currently unemployed, so I'm completely broke. Several days ago my wrist began hurting tremendously, then it moved to my shoulder, and now it's in my chest. I can feel that the pain is not coming from around my heart, but appears to be coming from directly under my breast and on the left side of my sternum. If I breathe shallowly, I don't feel any pain, but if I breathe deeply or sit or lay in certain positions, the pain in unbearable. I can't even sneeze because I can expand my chest enough to allow the air in.

I have tried every over-the-counter pain medication, arnica, Icy Hot, Tiger Balm, hot pads, ice, baths, even my Tramadol prescription for when I first diagnosed... nothing works. I called my doctor's office and the nurse said that unless I come in for a visit (which I can't afford) there's nothing she can tell me. I'm in so much pain that I can't function normally.

Does anyone have any experience with this and any advice? I live in the Denver area and am desperate.

Thank you.

(By the way, I typed this with my non-carpal hand since I want to keep from using it as much as possible... I don't know if that's a good idea or not...)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 7th, 2007
Try This Site
link removed
|
Did you find this post helpful?