Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acid Reflux Forum

Popping Sound In Throat (Page 1)

Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...
I have acid reflux. Over the past couple of years I have a popping sound in my throat when I lie down. Sometimes it sounds like popping bubbles. Anyone else with acid reflux/gerd have this?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile NickySki
|

replied September 17th, 2007
I get that popping sound too when I lie down sometimes. Usually with the intake of every breath or when I exhale.

Not sure what it is though
|

replied September 17th, 2007
I have bad /sever acid reflux, but I never had the popping sound. I heard its popular though in Acid Reflux sufferers.
|

replied February 2nd, 2008
Popping Sound
I'm going through a period where I have so many weird, seemingly unrelated symptoms that I'm in constant anxiety. One of these things is this popping sound in the throat when laying in bed... Since misery loves company, I was actually thrilled to see someone else even mention this symptom. I have a hiatal hernia and have been taking Prilosec for acid reflux for the past year or so. Sometimes I try not taking the Prilosec and it seems like its worse than ever; I've read that the acid can actually increase because it's been "artifically" inhibited... based on my exper it seems this is true. Anyhow, thx for sharing the popping info; I still don't know what is causing it but I feel better that I'm not alone.
|

replied July 10th, 2012
Take the Prilosec regularly for Acid Reflux!
Please do not stop taking the Prilosec for acid reflux without your doctor's approval. The reflux, or the acid coming up in your throat, erodes the lining of the throat, or esophagus. That causes rapid growth of scar tissue. Rapid growth of cells, when uncontrolled, is cancer. Stopping the medication without loss of over weight and without making significant dietary changes, will bring back the reflux - and it will feel worse because the stomach acids in your throat will eat away the lining AND any repaired tissue. That increases the rapid growth of cells which can cause cancer.

By the way, If you have no medical insurance, or if your insurance does not cover medication like Prilosec, you can buy a lower dose of the medication without a prescription. (The cheapest I have found it is at CostCo stores.) Follow the directions, though. DO NOT take more than the directions tell you. Taking too much could make things worse for you in other ways.

Pills and medications that boast immediate relief do improve acid reflux - but it is a short term fix. Rapidly changing from having reflux, to having it subside temporarily, and then to have it come back again, can even make your conditions worse.

The lining of the throat or the "wall of the esophagus" is made up of layers of tissue. First there are layers of mucous, then muscle and connective tissue. Cancer that forms in the throat / esophagus begins in the INNERMOST layers of tissue and spreads outward through the other layers as it grows, so it can be hard to diagnose in time. Don't do this to yourself! You CAN do things to prevent this.

Keep your body at its recommended weight. Make dietary changes that eliminating food that is harder to digest as it will cause increased acid which will burn your throat. In other words, just eat healthy. So,
- no caffeine,
- no carbonation,
- low fat (Yes, including pizza cheese. Sorry.)
- low acidic foods, like citrus and tomatoes,
- avoid highly seasoned or spicy foods,
- stay away from extreme temperatures of food AND drink,
- and, oh yes, chocolate.
Well, stop any smoking, too. Elevating the head of your bed helps, too, as gravity literally helps keep the acid lower in your stomach.

I know this may sound like horrible news, but oh, does it lessen or even eliminate acid reflux. Plus you are not developing throat cancer known as Barrett's disease or Barrett's esophagus or Esophageal Cancer.

Remember, you don't even have to smoke to cause this cancer for yourself. All the symptoms of Acid Reflux, or more correctly, Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD), are often something each one of us has complete control of, so you CAN do something about it.

Finally, check with your doctor, please. I am not a doctor. I am a patient. I know from experience for myself, my husband, and our son - who is not overweight - that these things work.

All the best to you in your work to heal yourself.
|

replied April 16th, 2008
Sorry to blow the theory out of the water....
...I don't have acid reflux, but I DO experience this popping sound in my throat. Sometimes, in the still of night, it happens with every breath and I swear if someone listened carefully enough they'd be able to hear it too! I get to the stage where I'm listening for it and, as was the case last night, when it happened for a couple of hours, my sleep is suffering as a result. Any suggestions?
|

replied April 21st, 2008
Input
I've had this too.. but also gurgling noises, even when upright. I shouldn't be proud of this, but I can burp like I breath out of my lungs...

It started from taking too many pain killers.. or I should say, enough pain killers over a long period of time (they were for an unrelated ailment). They caused my stomach to produce more acid, which in turn attacked the sphincter it my throat. The acid then flowed up and damaged much of the tubing. Small lumps formed which obstructed the flow of food making it hard to swallow, and making me feel like I was gaging near constantly.

Simple solution.. don't eat so much meat, lay off any drugs (like pain killers), and eat watermelon, lemons, grapefruit (pretty much any normally acidic foods - they end up causing your body to produce a base to digest them).

After few days like this, my problems started fading, and only a few weeks later, they were gone. Hope everyone else has similar luck.

So, now I get the benefit of easy burping, without the trouble of acid reflux or esophagus pharengeal (or however you spell it) problems.
|

replied March 11th, 2012
brilliant! makes good sense...HOPE! it was driving me CRAZY!!
|

replied January 5th, 2013
This sounds like what I have, the noise of gurgling or popping usually happens on my exhale, sometimes it sounds like a whistle. Happens mainly when I'm laying down. I also feel full almost all the time. This problem starting after I took a cruise and ate like a wild man, mainly meats and the acid reflux was tremendous and I had severe heartburn while exercising to the point I thought my heart had a problem.
|

This sounds like what I have, the noise of gurgling or popping usually happens on my exhale, sometimes it sounds like a whistle. Happens mainly when I'm laying down. I also feel full almost all the time. This problem starting after I took a cruise and ate like a wild man, mainly meats and the acid reflux was tremendous and I had severe heartburn while exercising to the point I thought my heart had a problem.
|

|

User Profile
replied April 23rd, 2008
Input 2
I have very similar problems. I thought at first the popping noise was a bronchial problem. Not so. Between the popping/gurgling noise, I too can put most men or beer drinkers to shame in the way I belch. My husband thinks it is funny. However, recently I had shoulder surgery and have taken my share of pain meds and prior to that I sucked up a lot of ibuprofen and aspirin. The extremely early morning pain and discomfort is sometimes unbearable.

I am glad to here that maybe more fruit and less meat may be the clue to some relief. I will try anything at this point as the Nexium is not doing the trick. Thanks for the clue.
|

replied March 27th, 2009
Popping sound
Same problem here only I find myself hearing it like it's my heartbeat or a dripping noise coming out of my throat. mostly sitting up and I catch myself with my mouth open and my throat is relaxed. I too have acid reflux and didn't notice I had it untill the dr. put me on Nexium and I forgot to take it one day. Felt like my stomach was on fire. It was perscribed due to erosion of the esophagus by the acid creaping up at nite. I find that the zantac works just as well and is alot cheaper. Still no solution to the popping though.
|

replied September 28th, 2009
I am getting this popping bubbly sound as well, I have had acid reflux in the past but now it only tends to flare up when I drink alcohol. However I still get this Popping bubble thing even if I don't have heartburn at all, mostly at night when I am sleeping. Does anyone else have the sounds even when not accompanied by heartburn or reflux. They feel like they travel down my throat a little too??
|

replied January 23rd, 2010
yeah i too have poping and gugling deep in my essopogas.
|

replied November 4th, 2010
yep i get it too. both my mother and father have acid reflux and take nexium. even when i sit upright or during random intervals in the day i will get this weird popping/bubbling noise in my throat. i have also started showing other symptoms of acid reflux also such as indigestion. kinda sucks because my parents didn't start suffering from reflux until way later in their lives and i'm only 20. glad to know that it is in fact the reflux and nothing more serious. better start watching my diet and taking med. thanks guys
|

User Profile
replied February 2nd, 2011
same poping sound in my thoat too
but is there a Med for this!!!?? because its driving me crazyy..iv been taking Nexium for 4 weeks and i dont have heart burn..i just Weez and this bubbling/poping sound when i breathe out, at the end of my breath..i went to RiteAde and got this inhaler called Primatene Mist - Epinephine 0.22mg....20$ and it helps me breathe but didnt stop and sounds and weezzing..is there a Med for this??
|

User Profile
So Eat (Lemons,grapefruit and watermelon?)
|

User Profile
i take alot of xanax and painkellers.. and smoke and drink alot..i think they have somthing to do with this..
|

User Profile
replied February 4th, 2011
i found out what it mite be! viral lung infection or possibly an infection with a bug called mycoplasma (referred to as an atypical pneumonia).
|

replied February 15th, 2011
Popping/water drip sound in throat
I too have been experiencing the popping/water drip sound in my throat.. I can be relaxing in the tub and hear it and when I am lying down. I have not been diagnosed with Acid Reflux, but I did have it about 7 years ago and was prescribed Prilosec at that time. I do take pain killers due to my Fibromyalgia and back pain. I would love for this to stop as I thought I was going crazy due to the sound. I am very happy to see others are experiencing the same thing.
|

User Profile
replied April 3rd, 2011
Bubble popping sound/acid reflux
l also get the popping bubble sound. l hear it mostly at night but l think that's just because it's quite and easier to hear. My husband can hear it too. And sometimes l get the dripping sound. l too have acid reflux and take Prilosec every few months. My Dr doesn't have a clue but l see l'm not alone. l wish someone could tell me what it is, why it happens and how to stop it.
|

replied November 3rd, 2011
Air and pop sounds
I have the same thing going on only I have a cough with my symptoms this has been going on for a few years now regardless if I am lying down or sitting up also have pain on right side
|

replied November 3rd, 2011
Air sounds in throat
I have the same thing going on only I have a cough with my symptoms this has been going on for a few years now regardless if I am lying down or sitting up also have pain on right side that travels into my back and major belly bloat ugh!
|

replied February 2nd, 2012
SAME HERE!
omg! I have the exact same symptoms as you pudintang. I had the flu about 2 weeks ago, as I was recovering I went out to shovel my walk and the next morning I was experiencing the shortness of breath, coughing and popping/gurgling sound when I exhale. It was really bad but is getting better very slowly. I would cough so hard that one morning I felt a knot in my lower/side of my back on the right. Now whenever I sneeze/laugh/couch it is so painful. I think maybe all the wheezing and coughing pulled something in my back. I have been trying everything to get rid of this: tea, gargling salt water, inhaler, meds, breathing exercises but this just won't disappear... I AM SICK OF THIS!!!!
|

replied February 15th, 2012
Yeah same thing, I hate it. I sit and have to listen to this horrible sound in the back of my throat, and sometimes it gets loud, and instead of speaking this sound comes out, and of course people think i am doing it on purpose. So now I am on antibiotics for bronchitis, have reflux for about 12 years. I went to the walk in clinic cause my doctor said she didn't know what else to do, and they put me on antibiotics, and she is sort of mad I think i went somewhere else. Man I would try anything to get rid of this.
|
12 >>