Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms Forum

Implantation Bleeding - How Long Does It Last?

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
User Profile
Hey girls,

I have a question about implantation bleeding. I apologize in advance if something like this has been asked before.

Approx. the week of the 21st of August was supposed to be my most fertile time of my cycle (with the 25th being perhaps the best day for us to conceive) The Hub and I 'baked' (as my good friend likes to say - now that she knows we're trying for #3 - LOL) every other day that week, including the 25th. From what I read, implantation bleeding can take place anywhere from 7-14 days after BMS.

Last Wednesday I noticed a wee bit of spotting when I wiped after going to the bathroom. It has happened a few times on and off since. Ive noticed some spotting/streaks when I wipe today. Its brownish in colour and today Ive had a few cramps. Im 'due' to get my period today, but other than the spotting (which started last week) nothing has happened yet.

So I guess my question is this - How long does implantation bleeding last? (and could that be what Im experiencing - or is my period on its way?)

How soon after the implantation bleeding, or the expected date of my period can I take a HPT?

I look forward to your responses!

Kelly
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper WaitingForBaby5
|

replied September 12th, 2007
Re: Implantation Bleeding - How Long Does It Last?
hello, implantation bleeding usually lasts about 2 days but everyone is different, and what u are experiencing may have been implantation bleeding, i am also ttc and i had what i believe is implantation bleeding a few days ago (around 9-10 dpo) and it was light pink and only lasted one day. My period is due today and if it does not come i will be testing tomorrow. That means u could actually test today and get an accurate result!!

Good Luck!!!
Baby Dust Wink
|

User Profile
replied September 12th, 2007
Well, I did test yesterday, and got a BFN Sad(

However, I still havent had anything but very, *very* light spoting. We're talking hardly anything at all. So Im guessing its just a really light period. However, when I found out I was pregnant with my daughter, I was a good 5 weeks along before I even got a glimmer of a positive result on a HPT. So maybe Im just testing too early for my body.

Who knows. *sighs*
|

replied September 13th, 2007
maybe u should test again in about two weeks, if still bfn then get a blood test, so they could check your hcg levels
|
Users who thank ice3 for this post: babyblues1980 

replied November 7th, 2011
Hello, I am pregnant with baby num 5. I had implantation bleeding that lasted a total of 6 days. For the first 3 days i had nothing but brownish discharge(mostly when i wiped after urinating). After 3 days of that it change from brown discharge to actual bleeding. However, the bleeding was different than what you see when having a period. It was a little darker in color and not as much. This lasted on and off for 3 more days. I had no blood clots and very minimal crampings. Twenty days later i found out i am pregnant.
|

replied December 17th, 2011
COULD THIS BE IMPLANTATION BLEEDING
could this be implantation bleeding..... i had sexual intercourse on nov 28, n my husband ejaculated in me three times that nite... on dec 10 i got a blood streak when i wiped.... very light pink though.. then the next day i had little very light pink in toilet as tho i dropped food color in water.. not like a period tho.. no blood clots just light pink ... lasted for three days.. the 3rd day was jus a bit spotting ... could that be implantation... i took 4 hpt n they all came negative... i think im testing too early....
|

replied December 17th, 2011
Ok so this is a little long so bare with me. They say ovulation is about 14 days after the 1st day of your missed period right? I used an online ovulation calculator and according to that, being that my last period was on Nov 4th I would be ovulating somewhere around Nov 19th. I had on the 19th which according to that calculator was my most fertile day. We did however use a condom.( I am not trying to get pregnant) Not that people haven't gotten pregnant using protection but...Anyway….My question is how long of a time frame do you have to conceive after intercourse? And when would implantation start? Could what I experienced really be implantation bleeding? This is my story. My period was a day late to start. It came late afternoon on Nov 5th. It was a little lighter than normal but nothing to strange. Tuesday morning I woke up and had what I thought was a normal period flow... bright red, a litte clotty...soaked through my panty liner (TMI sorry) Thought everything was fine until it slowly tapered off and then Wed when I woke up it was gone! Thurs nothing...Just had very light brown spotting. Barely visible to the eye only when I wiped. Then Friday I got a little tiny bit of a light bleed in the afternoon, almost pinkish brown and then it was gone. What is weird is that normally I would get all the classic PMS signs. Break outs, moody, sore breasts, cramps etc... This time I had nothing. No sign of my period what so ever. Now every since that bleeding occurred I have been extremely bloated, sometimes nauseous and some slight cramping. It’s really uncomfortable. I'm tired too, but I am always tired. I keep touching my breasts to see if they hurt but they really don’t. I have been having headaches, but I am under so much stress. I just don't see what else could cause the flow of my menses to be so messed up. My period is like clockwork. They come every 30 days with same symptoms every month. Never missed a cycle and never had an irregular one. I took an hpt on 12.15.11 and it was neg. But is it possible it's too early to test? I'm kind of confused on how the timing of everything works. They say Hpt detects before a missed period right? So I would think by now I should be ok and that negative would be accurate right? Or do you think I am testing too early? I keep reading about all these people who test negative for weeks and weeks
|

replied March 2nd, 2012
help?
hi, I'm 19 and I had intercourse with my boyfriend on the 1st of February unprotected and he ejaculated inside me (I was fertile and I ovulated the 3rd) I was supposed to get my period the 17th and I haven't gotten it yet. a few days ago I noticed that when I whiped myself, there was brownish bood on the toilet paper and it's mucousy. does this mean that I'm pregnant?
|

replied March 4th, 2012
PREGNANT ? OR NOT ?
My last period was Feb. 9 .. i ovulated the 23. I had unprotected sex on Feb. 17 and 20th. For about 3days Ive been feeling queasy when I wake up .. but not to where i have to throw up. Ive been bloated and gassy. And my breasts are sore .. ive also been VERY tired latey. And little cramps in my lower stomach & back .. my appetite is kinda weird right now .. i also dont get PMS symptoms .. so im just wondering .. my period is supposed to come Thursday (the 8th) so i cant test yet.
|

replied March 22nd, 2012
spotting before period then period then brownish spotting.
im in the same situation but i was spotting for a day an half then got my period for 2 days normal. on the second night there was nothing till the next day at 4pm. then it stopped then i was spotting pink and brownish then next day i spot again then brown n now pink. wats going on?
|

replied April 17th, 2012
Hi my last period was the 27th of march , i had sex on the 9th of april which was when i was ovulting i think , now 8 days before my next period i have started light pink bleeding , it has lasted 2 days and 2day is the 3rd day , i have had some niggling back pain , but other then that nothing eles , what do you think it is ?
|

replied June 2nd, 2013
bleeding
hello, i'm 19, my lover and i had unprotected sex a couple times in the past month, but he always pulled out, i was supposed to get my period about a week ago, and i did not.
a couple days ago i started bleeding, very light at first, and it only lasted two days, was it implantation bleeding? i have been feeling rather odd lately and i'm worried, neither my lover, nor i , are ready for a child.
|

replied November 19th, 2013
hello I had sex on my exact ov day (day 14) and started spotting on 10dpo 11dpo 12dpo and 13dpo on 14dpo I notice the bleeding was light barely change any pads. on 15dpo I started spotting and then it stop. I have a regular cycle and it normal last 5days, but now it short could I be pregnant?????
|