Medical Questions > Nutrition > Weight Loss Forum

Weight Loss

Must Read
What is metabolic syndrome and how is it characterized? Get started by learning more about metabolic or insulin resistance syndrome here....
Is insulin resistance related to metabolic syndrome? Does a poor diet cause metabolic syndrome? And are you at risk of developing this metabolic disorder?...
Does metabolic syndrome manifest any symptoms? Learn the characteristic signs and symptoms of metabolic problems, plus know when to seek medical help....
I had gastric bypass surgery on April 9, 2007. I am 5'2" and weighed 270 when I had the surgery. I have lost about 63 pounds. I have been counting my calories every day and eat an average of 1000 to 1200 a day. For the past 2 months I have been hitting big plateaus of no weight loss. This last one has lasted 15 days. I have lost 7 or 8 pounds in the past 30 days. I do exerciseon my treadill for 20 to 30 mins several times a week.

I just don't understand why some surgery patients tell me the weight is just coming off of them and they don't even exercise. And I don't understand how I can eat so few calories and not be losing weight. If I do my calculations correctly, I should be losing 12 pounds a month.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 11th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Re: Weight Loss
kellyjouk wrote:
I had gastric bypass surgery on April 9, 2007. I am 5'2" and weighed 270 when I had the surgery. I have lost about 63 pounds. I have been counting my calories every day and eat an average of 1000 to 1200 a day. For the past 2 months I have been hitting big plateaus of no weight loss. This last one has lasted 15 days. I have lost 7 or 8 pounds in the past 30 days. I do exerciseon my treadill for 20 to 30 mins several times a week.

I just don't understand why some surgery patients tell me the weight is just coming off of them and they don't even exercise. And I don't understand how I can eat so few calories and not be losing weight. If I do my calculations correctly, I should be losing 12 pounds a month.

12 lbs a month is a lot of weight. Keep doing what you are doing. Add in some more exercise. Walk on the treadmill more. Get out and ride a bike. Take a yoga class. Go to a gym. When you hit a plateau, you need to work just a little more or tweek your program a little bit to get things moving.

1,000 calories is quite low. Is this doctor recommended and supervised? Your body can go into starvation mode if your calories get too low. You will instead be burning up muscle instead of fat. Muscle is what you want. Keep the muscle! Smile Sometimes you just have to keep moving!

You are doing a great job!
|

replied September 11th, 2007
I found a couple websites yesterday that said some of what you said. They said that plateaus of 2 - 4 weeks are normal. I was glad to hear that. One site mentioned eating too little. Recommendations were also to change what kind of diet I'm on for a few days, like high protein, shakes, or increasing calories. I'm trying to push myself harder on the treadmill and more frequently. And I did some crunches today and a few pushups.

You mention 1000 calories being low. I put myself on that diet. I'm supposed to just eat less and healthy. I'm not great at the healthy, so to keep myself in check I watch calories. When I saw my gastric doctor in late July I told him I was eating between 1000 and 1200 calories and he only said to make sure not to eat more than 1000. He's in the top 10 percent in the country. But one site I went to recommended eating 500 calories less than you need to maintain. I'd be eating 2000 calories if I did that.
|

User Profile
replied October 21st, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
You are doing so good, don't rush the weight loss! I definately wouldn't be going under 1200 calories a day. As ingi said your body will go into starvation mode and hold on to the calories! Also, you shouldn't lose more then 1-2lbs a week, if you lose more then that you'll be less likely to keep it off. Just keep working out and eat right. You mentioned that you don't always eat real healthy so you just go based on calories...and that might be the problem. Although you are staying low on calories your body might be missing some essential nurtients that it needs. Try adding a new fruit or veggie to your diet and eat a little more of that! Also drink water and limit soft drinks!! Good luck, you're doing awesome!
|

replied October 25th, 2007
Hit Plateau 2
I also had gastric bypass surgery June07. 5’4" and weighed 260 . Lost 80 pounds. Started exercising 3 days a week 30 mins. first 3 months after surgery, then 5 days a week 45 mins. next 3 months, then afraid I was going to gain during holidays so I stepped it up 7 days a week over an hour from then until now. For the past month I haven’t lost anything if anything gained 3 lbs. I have been eating more, nights and even sweets which I could not do and still cannot do a lot of. I’ve reset my goals and weigh myself on Sundays. Like you, I hear and see people who do not exercise at all and now weigh much less then I do and do have no problems dropping the weight.
|

replied October 25th, 2007
Muscle
As you continue to lose weight and work out dont be frustrated by no weight loss as now that you have lost so much your body may be adding muscle which would cause the scale not to buge, pay attention to your clothes and take some measurements, the scale just depresses and besides you've made it this far just stay positive and look how far you've come!! KEEP IT UP!
|

replied October 29th, 2007
Loss Weight Solution
hi im jenny. I would like to recommend the marvellous product that would not make you suffer for loss weight while enjoying the tasty of the drinks. It is FDA approved, n approved by doctors in the medical universities. You could purchase from me or get more info from me as well.
|