Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > First Trimester of Pregnancy Forum

Pregnant - How Long Can I Wait to See a Doctor?

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
I am pregnant, and this is my third pregnancy. I am 12 weeks pregnant but still have not gone to see a doctor, becuase I do not have insurance that covers maternity for the moment. We will have insurance that covers maternity care and delivery only from December 1st - I will be 24 weeks pregnant then.

I am wondering if it will be advisable to wait till I am 24 weeks pregnant to go see a doctor. We are financially very tight at the moment, and I will not be able to afford all of the prenatal visits and costs of lab work and tests. I know I must do blood tests, urine tests, probably will need to do amnio, etc. etc. I would like to know if it is possible to do those tests and exams after 24 weeks.

I have never had complications during my previous pregnancies, and I have always had a comfortable, eventless pregnancy. So, all the more, I am wondering if it will be possible to wait till 24 weeks to start seeing a doctor.

I would appreciate some advice. Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 9th, 2007
Hi, I am 7 weeks pregnant and I am wondering the same thing. I am having my second child and my first pregnancy was a breeze.
As much as I don't want to go to the doctor ( he is over an hour away) I think it will be reassuring for me to see my baby in the 12 week scan.
Sorry I don't know if you can have all the tests past 24 weeks.
Back when my mum was having her third child, she only went to the doctor once in the third trimester.
Sorry I haven't been much help to you. Goodluck with everything.
|
Did you find this post helpful?