Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Getting Pregnant Forum

How Long Should U Stop Taking Adipex Before TTC?

Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
I take adipex, but I am going to try to have a second child. How long inbetween stopping adipex and getting pregnant should I wait?
Does anyone know if there are any side effects with Adipex and pregnancies?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper MollyK
|

User Profile
replied September 8th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
What is adipex for exactly? This is something you should ask your doctor though.
|

adipex is an appettite suppressant
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I would consult your doctor if I were you. You definitely need to be off of that before you try to have a baby. I'm guessing you're taking it to lose weight, right?
|

replied September 9th, 2007
yes it is but I don't need it anymore.
|

User Profile
replied September 9th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Then I still say consult your doctor about this. I would be scared to give you any advice concerning this type of medicine. If you just call them up they should be able to tell you what to do.
|

replied February 17th, 2010
I am actually wondering the same question, can you please tell me how you dealt with this?
Thanks!
|

replied May 7th, 2010
i currently take adipex i have lost 72 ibs in 9 months. my best friend has also taken adipex and lost almost 50 ibs. but now her and her husband want to have another child. the doctor told her it was ok for her to take adipex while trying to get pregnant but as soon as she had a pos preg test she needed to immediately stop taking adipex. talk to your dr and see what they say let me know if they say the same.
|

replied March 1st, 2011
My doctor said the same thing. I am currently on Adipex but my doc said that I could take it while trying but when I got a pos test to stop immediately. I was on this when I got pregnant with our second child and quit immeidately when I found out and thank god my child was born healthy.
|

replied September 24th, 2011
I am TTC and noticed that my follicular phase of my cycle (1st phase) shortened to only 10 days...which can cause significant problems and/or miscarriage if you do get pregnant. I was unaware but learned that medications which alter your "central nervous system" DO negatively affect your fertility and can cause problems while TTC. I recently found out about all of this from my Dr. after seeking advice for not being able to conceive for the past few months while I have been taking this medication. For the women who have gotten pregnant, I am surprised that your dr. had given you the advise to continue taking it until the preg. test was positive. Most (not all) women won't be able to sustain a pregnancy while taking this medication because of the negative affects it has on the menstrual cycle/follicular phase.
|

replied September 8th, 2012
My husband and I have been trying for the past 8 months trying to get pregnant. I have PCOS (Polycystic ovarian syndrome) Wich causes me to gain weight, hard to shed off, have irregular cycles and dont ovulate every month. I have been on Clomid for the past 4 months and have upped my doeses every time. NOw I am currently taking metphormin wich in a diabetic pill and still nothing. I have taken adipex in the past but would like to know if it has anything to do with my fertility. If anyone knows of a good diet that is cheap and easy please share! Smile
|