Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Mononucleosis Forum

Quick Question

Must Read
Is mononucleosis bacterial or viral? Does everyone get mono at some time? How does mono spread? Basic facts and definitions about "the kissing disease". ...
Do you know what causes mono? Although children are more at risk than adults,what can you do to avoid getting sick from mono? Review risk factors here....
The symptoms of mono may not manifest for everyone who contracts the Epstein-Barr virus. But when are symptoms serious? And when should you seek medical help?...
I met my new girlfriend about a week ago and of course we've kissed and so on. She later told me when she left that she's a "carrier" of mono and that she "transmits it around spring". Whatever that means.

I have a nasty sore throat and my glands are soar and swollen. I'm going to see a doctor this week, but how long until I know after being tested? When I re-united with my g-friend, because she says she's a carrier is it possible for her to intermitantly spread mono to me again and again.?

Thanks in advance
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper JoeDC
|

replied March 24th, 2004
Experienced User
Mono is a very contagious disease and something like 80% of the people in the world are carriers. Being a carrier means that you have been infected at some point in your life. Of the people that are infected, only about 50% of them ever develop symptoms. That means half the people infected with it will actually come down with symptoms and be sick, while half the people infected never get sick and usually never know they are even infected. Mono is contagious in the first 30 days after someone has been infected - the tricky part is it usually takes 30 days after infection before you develop symptoms. So you are contagious before you even realize you are sick.

As to your question about being tested, I believe they can tell you the same day whether you actually have mono or not. While your symptoms do sound like they could be mono, it could also be anything from strep throat to allergies. Regardless though, if you think you have been exposed to mono, be sure to mention it to your doctor so that he/she will order the blood work.

As far as I know, mono is not a seasonal disease that once you are infected flares up and makes you more likely to infect someone else with. So as far as your girlfriend transmitting it around spring - I don't really think that is a true statement. Once you are infected with mono, you can not be reinfected with it. It stays in your body the rest of your life, therefore you are never "cured" and are always infected.

Good luck with the doctor - hope you start feeling better soon Smile
|

replied March 24th, 2004
Thanks for the informative response. I really appreciate it.

Wink
|

replied March 25th, 2004
Experienced User
You are welcome - anytime Smile
|

replied May 20th, 2009
This is incorrect
I have had mono 3 times:
4/03
12/04
5/09

I had been tested in between these times because I 'thought' I may have had it one other time, and the test was negative. These are all 3 times of DOCUMENTED cases of mono reinfection. So, this info is incorrect.
|

replied August 17th, 2009
I also have had mono 3 documented times. Blood tests confirmed! All were roughly 1.5-3 years apart.
|

replied February 25th, 2010
I get a EB flare up every fall. Blood tests confirm... Ironically the first time I got Mono was in the fall when I was 15 yrs old.. I'm now 49....
|

replied March 15th, 2010
mono again!
You can get mono more than once in your life. I had a friend who had symptoms & was diagnosed with mono when she was in middle school and got it again in high school. Its rare said the doctors- her symptoms the second time were very severe and she ended up getting pneumonia and going into a coma for 3 months so be careful, don't think you cant get it again!
|

replied April 6th, 2010
You don't GET mono multiple times; TAKE VITAMIN C!!!!!
ummm basically what I know is that you don''''t GET Mono multiple times. There is no test that suddenly says, "You have it again now!" because once you''''ve had Mono, it stays with you and any blood test will bring it up. What you Get is a flare up of the original infection.

Now I used to have a pretty consistent feeling of fatigue for around two years after my initial diagnosis and a major flare-up one year after the original diagnosis. BUT ever since I started taking a bunch of Vitamin C everyday, it''''s pretty much gone away.

This is controversial information because the FDA sees no conclusive evidence that ingesting high amounts Vitamin C does anything to combat viruses, but if you go to a Health Foods market and find a product like Nutrobiotic Plus or even some basic Vitamin C supplement, I think you''ll see your immune resistance go up. Regardless of what the FDA says.

Plus, taking a lot of Vitamin C won''t hurt, you''ll just pee out the extra. Honestly, anytime you get any sort of virus, drink a bunch of water, and do everything else you normally would, but try taking a good supplement for immune resistance (make sure it has Vitamin C in it), and see what happens. Most Docs will say it won''t do you any good, but since it doesn''t hurt, and since a bunch of people--including me--seem to have had more than satisfactory results, you might as well try!

Good luck!
|

replied July 10th, 2010
how do you know if you are a carrier or mono?
|

replied July 11th, 2011
YOU CAN'T GET MONO TWICE
Actually, you can not be infected with mono multiple times, however, once you have had mono, it lays dormant in your body. In rare instances, it is possible for mono to reoccur. YOU CAN NOT GET MONO MORE THAN ONCE!! It is the same initial infection that has been dormant in your body and "flares up" again.
|

replied April 24th, 2012
Once you get mono it stays in your body, but at a point it stops being active. That doesnt mean its not there because it is, it just means that its not making you sick or spreading to anyone. Now for the part about getting infected again, no you can't technically catch it again but something you do wether it be stressing your self or overworking yourself the mono in you from before flares up again and can make you just as sick as you were before.
So when people say "i got mono again" they really just mean that the infection inside of them has relapsed and caused the symptoms to come back.
I was infected with it near the end of my 6th grade year, then it relapsed again in the begining lf my 7th grade year, and now it's relapsed near the end of my 10th grade year.
So you can getthe symptoms more than once because the infection flared back up but the infection its self doesn't come back because ot never left. It just became unactive.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Harpreet Singh