Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Ear Pain When Swallowing, Tightness of the Jaw

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Someone please help, this pain is excruciating. About two weeks ago I started getting a pretty bad sore throat, so I went to the hospital and they did a strep test. Both the rapid test and the culture came back negative. It went away for about a 4 days, then it came back in mostly the left ear and left side of the throat. Then it moved exclusively to the right ear. It only hurts when I swallow. I went to my family doctor and she did a blood test for mono which came back negative. That lasted 3 days, and now on top of that my jaw is really tight and I can only open my mouth about an inch. It doesn't respond to Zicam, robutussin dm, robu cough and cold, tylenol severe cough and cold, or Motrin. However Ibuprofin takes the edge off slightly.

Please toss out some ideas.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 9th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Ear Pain When Swallowing, Tightness of the Jaw
oomba wrote:
Someone please help, this pain is excruciating. About two weeks ago I started getting a pretty bad sore throat, so I went to the hospital and they did a strep test. Both the rapid test and the culture came back negative. It went away for about a 4 days, then it came back in mostly the left ear and left side of the throat. Then it moved exclusively to the right ear. It only hurts when I swallow. I went to my family doctor and she did a blood test for mono which came back negative. That lasted 3 days, and now on top of that my jaw is really tight and I can only open my mouth about an inch. It doesn't respond to Zicam, robutussin dm, robu cough and cold, tylenol severe cough and cold, or Motrin. However Ibuprofin takes the edge off slightly.

hey you may have tmd.(jaw disorder) come to the tmj forum and pm me and ill get you a good doctor and we can get this taken care of.
|

replied September 9th, 2007
Re: Ear Pain When Swallowing, Tightness of the Jaw
dyanmatteson wrote:
oomba wrote:

hey you may have tmd.(jaw disorder) come to the tmj forum and pm me and ill get you a good doctor and we can get this taken care of.

Thanks, I figured it out. As it turns out, I had tonsillitis caused by strep, and the jaw problem was due to my wisdom teeth coming in. Thanks, though.
|

replied December 14th, 2009
Soar left tonsil with high amounts of pain even in my left ear
I have same symptoms, The have ran mono, strep, lukema, and several other test multiple times everything they have tested for has came back negative. I have chronic pain in my throat and at certain times of the day my ear becomes very painful as well. i am 15 years of age worried about cancer bc cancer has ran in many of my family members. I just wondering is there anything to ease the pain?? Or any idea what is wrong?
|