Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

Why Do Women Have a Funny Smell Down There? (Page 1)

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
well i don't get it,cause i thought when your vagina had a funny smell that ment they had a bad infection..why do women have them funny smells for?I know some doc's say IT'S NOTHING,I think there is something wrong and they don't want to take the time in treating it.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper x0_babycakes_0x
|

replied September 7th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
um well lets see vaginas have a smell to them no matter what

its normal
|

replied September 7th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Re: Why Do Women Have a Funny Smell Down There?
junebug28 wrote:
well i don't get it,cause i thought when your vagina had a funny smell that ment they had a bad infection..why do women have them funny smells for?I know some doc's say IT'S NOTHING,I think there is something wrong and they don't want to take the time in treating it.

A BAD strong smell means they have an infection, such as smelling like fish or smelling like yeast (fresh bread).

However, most women have a "smell" to them all the time, 24/7. They are not infected, they just naturally smell. Just like semen has a smell and a taste all the time, so too does a woman's vagina have a smell and taste.

If you have yellow or green discharge, or it is thick white and clumpy, associated with itching, burning, or a strong, bad smell, THEN you have something to worry about.

Most of the time a vagina will start to smell "funky" if a girl doesn't get to bathe for a few days; this is especially true in hot weather. Sweat and bacteria mix down there and it smells!! It's not a disease, it just means you need a bath.

Some girls have "wet" underwear all the time, and it's not because they don't wipe after they pee. It's because they have a lot of natural discharge and the underwear is the only place it has to go.

Wearing silk panties traps moisture, so if you're naturally aromatic (smelly) and wet, then wearing silk can actually make you smellier and wetter. Soggy panties are icky.

So, most women wear cotton panties. These "breathe" better - like sports clothing. Some women even have to wear very thin pads on their underwear to keep them - and their pants - from getting soaked through! I've had days like that.

So as a summary:

It is very normal for a vagina to have an odor. It is normal for this odor to be "strong". As long as the odor isn't "bad", everything is good. Also, most women have discharge all the time. It's not that they're "dirty" and don't wipe; it's just their bodies. I own a lot of "dirty" underwear.
|

User Profile
replied September 16th, 2007
Experienced User
I have a lot of those 'dirty' things too! And i take a shower everyday, still have an odor too! I'm normal Very Happy
|

replied June 20th, 2009
Belly buttons smell all the time too- it's a part of being human. Smile

Seriously, though, I think Tylanas has the best answer for you.
|

replied August 13th, 2009
i have had the SAME problem for years and im just 17. i seriously thought i was a freak. Im so glad you posted this question. im glad im not alone Very Happy
|

replied August 13th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
The same reason that Men have a funny smell down there. Areas of the body that collect moisture gather musk and are subject to additional exposure to bacteria. The scent you're detecting is most likely the biological method by which the female attracts a mate.
|

replied August 14th, 2009
We really have a smell down there no matter how many times you washed it. That's the smell men loves. lol. But if you have foul smell and urinates frequently, you might have UTI. If you have, just drink plenty of water to wash away the bacteria that is clinging to your uterine wall that is flushed away through urinating.
|

replied September 15th, 2009
Question for the group. On a day to day basis I do not have any of the symptoms listed for this condition. The problem I have is when I play a sport. After playing is when the odor is apparent. Thanks for your help.
|

replied January 17th, 2010
dirty panties yumm
Wearing silk panties traps moisture, so if you're naturally aromatic (smelly) and wet, then wearing silk can actually make you smellier and wetter. Soggy panties . yummy i love the smell of soggy silk panties i love love juice it smells so good . i dont get why most women dont like the idear of guys getting off smelling there dirty pantys ? i mean all women love control right ? well throw you dirty silky panites or any love stained panties at guy and he will love you lol
|

replied March 28th, 2010
yeah, i smell of fish when i'm on, and i thought there was something wrong with me. i have a shower every day, so is it something i need to see a doctor about?
|

replied April 8th, 2010
Girls dirty smells, most guys will not tell the truth but we can not get enough of your scents. Nothing as hot or sexy as the female smell. Not just down there either. If a girls armpits have a little dirty smell Hard on city. I think girls know this as well. Girls seem to love holding their arms in the air when they want to look sexy. Just look at any fashion mag how many models arms are up when they are wearing something with no sleeves. Watch when they dance their arms are up every 5 seconds. If they like a guy watch how many times they fix their hair what they are really doing is showing another part of their bodies that gets wet if not shaved has hair and will stink. Hey sounds just like the other and most female part of their sexy bodies. If this is not true please will a girl tell why you all love to hold thoses arms over your head so much??
|

replied April 8th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
tbxxx
Arousal from body odor is a fetish. Response to pheremones is is common to men and women but not releated to body ordor and not why women lift their arms when they dance. They lift their arms because they're dancing.
|

replied April 12th, 2010
HAAHaahaaah Okay, dude there dancing and armpit smell?? Come on man, I''m all for a girls honey pot smell that smells like it should:) (Big turn on) but that not fishy smell.
|

replied April 19th, 2010
ok so im looking through website to website to ask why im for some reason always wet between my legs??
i take showers and i dont use any of that fancy stuff like douches or fruity soaps but for some reason if i walk alot of if i play a sport or the big one when im getting arroused i get the weird wet feeling like i just went pee and it smells like something diffrent every time i even barely spread my legs...

this is embarresing for me to post so please no really rude comments i just really want some help and information that would be useful.
thanks Smile
|

replied April 19th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
bbkbanger
Check the tags on your clothes. Do you wear a lot of cotton or wool between your legs?
|

replied April 19th, 2010
im pretty sure that most of the jeans i wear are made out of cotton.
why you ask?
could that be the reason for the smell??
oh and thank you for replying!
|

replied April 19th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
Clothes that don't breathe well and tighter clothing will build up heat as your body moves. You might try wearing slacks or cargos and see if that doesn't improve things. Also a lot of panties are made with high polyester count. If you tend to sweat more you end up feeling like you've wet yourself when you're being active. Cotton, especially ribbed or or winterized cottons are expecially good at helping with moisture as they tend to wick excess fluid away from the skin.
|

replied April 19th, 2010
okk thank you!!
but (and this is for anyone to reply to)
why does the smell really only smell when i barely spread my legs and its like it goes straight up to my nose and i get so self concious that other people can smell it too..
any ideas on like any type of powders or ANYTHING that may help me??
|

replied April 27th, 2010
You are too fussy about your knickery smells. Girls smell lovely so do not worry. If you are not convinced, just wear thin cotton knickers that will breath and keep you dry most of the time. When you wash, just use warm water and do not try to wash inside, you will only make matters worse. Your smell is what nature intended and it is attractive to nearly all men. Often a fishy smell is to do with urine but again, this smell is lovely to most men. My advice is, if you feel all right down there, no soreness or pain, just do not worry, it is OK.
|
Quick Reply