Medical Questions > Cancer > Prostate Cancer Forum

Rising PSA level! Biopsy Or No Biopsy?

Must Read
Millions of men experience prostate problems every year. But what defines prostate enlargement and how does the prostate grow as it enlarges?...
What puts a man at risk of having an enlarged prostate? And what causes the prostate to grow in the first place? Answer your questions here....
An enlarged prostate rarely occur before a man is 40. Learn the signs and symptoms BEFORE they occur. And know when to seek help for bothersome symptoms....
My father has been going to the doctor regularly and his PSA level has been rising. Right now, his PSA level is 11.15 and his Free PSA is 15%. The doctor advises him to get a biopsy, but he is really reluctant to do so. He is afraid that if he does have cancer, all that probing around when they do the biopsy will make the cancer spread quicker. Is that a possibility? Plus, he has a friend who is a homeopathic doctor who advises him not to do the biopsy as he feels that with a correct diet and massaging the prostate 3 times a week will make his PSA level lower. Is that true? How safe is the prostate massage? Please advise your thoughts as his biopsy is scheduled 2 weeks from now, but my father has made it quite clear he will not go through with it. My family is not sure what the next step should be. If you could shine some light on this matter, I would really appreciate it.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper asiagee
|

User Profile
replied September 11th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Hi!
The fact that your father's PSA levels increased by time and now are moderately elevated indicates need for biopsy. Man with higher PSA levels are more likely to has prostate cancer. There are some benign conditions that also cause elevated PSA levels, such as inflammation, infection and hyperplasia or enlargement of prostate. The only way to distinguished them is by biopsy. Side effects that can be caused by this procedure are infection and bleeding. Personally, I don't think massaging the prostate will help him if he has cancer.
|

replied September 27th, 2007
Rising Psa Level
In MY opinion:- PSA levels over a lenghty time are an indicator ONLY of a problem and biopsy is a sure way of determining if there is maligancy or just PBH. Not a pleasant procedure and yes there are sometimes complications. A friend of mine had to have a catheter installed for six weeks due to infection.
ONE REAL PROBLEM IS THE ACCURACY OF THE PSA TEST. My own results were see-sawing up and down. Some factors effecting the reading are:- A digital rectal examination , constipation or ejaculation (even a lenghty erection) will cause elevated readings for some days. Believe me I have experienced this.
|

User Profile
replied September 28th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Peter
Hi!
What are you suffering from? Have you been diagnosed with prostate cancer?
There is no specific normal or abnormal PSA level. Various factors (such as age and race) can cause PSA levels to fluctuate, thats way only one abnormal PSA doesn't indicates a need for other diagnostic tests. When PSA levels continue to rise over time, other tests are usually performed.
There are,also, false positive and false negative tests.
|

replied March 5th, 2008
mastibation affect on PSA level
This message is directed to peter peters

You wrote that ejaculation or erection will cause elevated PSA readings. Do you have any more backup data on this? Should one not mastibate within certain number of days before a blood test ?
|

User Profile
replied March 13th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Men should abstain from ejaculation for 2 days before testing.
|

replied July 1st, 2008
My PSA went lower
Hi everybody. I would like to say something to all of you concerned with prostate and prostate cancer. 8 month ago, a biopsy reveled that I have cancer in the earliest stage. I consulted with many doctors to evaluate my chances and treatment until I found a product that is working in my case. It is Prostate-C by ambiolife.com . After taking this product for about 5 months now, I went back to my doctor for a PSA test. Guess what, my PSA came down from almost 6 to 4!. The doctor asked me what I did. I told him about the product I was taking and he just said to continue for it is working!. My next visit to the doctor would be in 6 months. Well, this is what I am doing and I am glad to share with all of you.
|

replied July 5th, 2008
Prostate cancer
Last October I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. My PSA was 5.3 and I went through a biopsy. Just 2 out of the 14 samples collected showed cancer. Not much, but I was concerned on the treatment and consequences. I did my own search, read books on the subject. Last month I checked my PSA and had a doctor appointment to review. My PSA dropped to 4.5. The doctor asked me surprised what I have done. I am taking Prostate-C from AmbioLife found at ambiolife.com. This is the best product I could find so far. I showed my doctor the bottle. My doctor told me to continue by all means. I also take Ambio-Quercetin and Ambio-Pectin both helpful for prostate cancer as I learned from the books I read. We are not going to do anything at this point but closely watch the PSA levels every 6 months. I hope this message is of help.
|

replied December 29th, 2009
Is this Science or Snakeoil?
Fernmc-Is this an sales ploy for Prosrate-C. If so God is really going to get you for preying on desparate folks.
|

replied October 27th, 2011
Rising PSA Level! Biopsy Or No Biopsy?
Prostate-C from AmbioLife: Those of you taking this make it sound like this is fighting the cancer but can't the psa score go down if in fact the Prostate-C is just shrinking the prostate; small prostate = lower psa, not proof the cancer is going away.
Devils Advocate
|

replied July 15th, 2012
No doctor would be surprised at a 0.8 drop in a PSA or even a 2.0 drop and ask what you were doing.

There are many many reasons that a PSA can drop. It doesn't mean your cancer (if present) is going away or that you are minimizing your chances of having it if you haven't been diagnosed.

Ridiculous
|