Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

Black Mole ! Cancer ? (Page 1)

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
I have a black mole that has appeared about 1 1/2 weeks ago. Does black mean cancer?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Fairy Godmother
|

User Profile
replied September 7th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Black color of mole doesn't mean cancer(melanoma). Moles are harmless skin growths, which can rarely become cancerous. Their normal color can ranges from pink flash to dark brown or dark. You should be concern if the color is in many different shades(dark mole with some brown parts and maybe some small dark dots on the brown part.)
Where is the mole located? Do you find this mole different from the other ones you already have?
|

replied September 7th, 2007
Hi, thanks for answering.

Yes, I have one other mole and it's brown. This mole is on my waist on the side.
|

User Profile
replied September 11th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
As I mentioned in previous post you can have moles with different colors on your body and thats normal. You should be worried if the new mole has different colors( it's black, but also has some lighter parts) You can check it if the form is asymmetrical(one half is not the same with the other); if the mole becomes larger then pencil eraser and if its border develops ragged edge. Does your mole looks inflamed? Does it bleed, itch or crust over?
|

the mole I was talking about was a blood blister. But I had a biopsy on one on my back that has been there for many years. I went to two doctors who didn't diagnose it. This doctor I went to biopsied it and I don't get the results for another week. I'm really worried.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
A good way to tell if its cancerous or not is (and this is what my dr told me about my mole on my back):
1.) It gets bigger
2.) It gets darker
3.) It isn't round but jagged (similar to how you would draw a sun).

Hope that helps! Keep us posted on what you find out. GOOD LUCK!
|

User Profile
Supporter
Hi
I had a mole to just "appear" on the back of my thigh, it was solid black and the size of a small deer tick. I went and had it removed/biopsied and it came back as malignant melanoma. I have had so many other moles/suspecious spots removed I've lost count. my dermotologist informed me, when something like this appears BLACK, get it checked immediately. THe longer it has time ot grow and spread, the wrose your chances. I cuaght mine in time, athough I do have a nasty 6 inch scar, plus I opted for hte lymph node sentinnel node biopsy. Common moles are brown in deed, but follow ABCD-Assemtry, Base, Color, Diameter...if a mole is two different colors or changes in size or color, oozes, of course your need these looked into. Skin cancer is nothing more than a mutated cell and you can even get this from a burn or skinning your knee as a child. Dogs get melanoma between their paws, the african american population get them yet, they are not sun worshipers like caucassions. Try not to worry about the report, just thank your lucky stars you caught this in time and something can be done about it! Keep us posted! PM if you'd like! Laughing
|

The doctor told me she doesn't want me to spend my time worrying about this because it won't go any further than having it cut off. She said, really, it isn't anything that will go further. Told me to find something else to worry about cause this isn't a worry. Do you think she would lie to me just so I don't worry?
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Nope i don't think she would. She a dr and isn't suppose to do that. And thats really all they would have to do is cut it off. SO no worries...just relax and enjoy life! Very Happy
|

Thanks...I am a natural born worrier. I'll post the results. I just wish it wouldn't take so long.
|

User Profile
replied September 12th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Debm
We are all thinking of you and waiting for the results! Did the doctor remove it all or she just took one piece?
Hope everything will be fine!
|

I think she removed a piece because she said I'll have to get it cut off. Does a surgeon do that? Thanks so much for all of your responses. You have helped me beyond words. I will let you know as soon as I find out. I'm praying it's not too late. Thank you!!!
|

User Profile
Supporter
Hi
You are gonna be just fine.......its not too late, you caught it andhad something done about it. I had mine removed by a dermotologist, who in turn sent it in for biopsy. The waiting was the worst and jsut happend to tell me on my anniversary it was melanoma. I ahd ot go to Emory in Atlanta to have it done by Mohls techinque. Was told this was the best and so off I went. They literally punch the size of a half dollar into the area the mole was becase if its melanoma, it grows downward and out and they have to endure that the margins are clean from any cancer cells. Then they have to pull hte skin back together and stich up. Not trying to frighten you, jsut telling it like it is. I am praying for you hat this is not anyhting major and you won't have to go through this. But if you do, please feel free to PM me, I'll anwer any questions you may have!
|

I have had this for years and it was misdiagnosed twice, that's what scares me. How long was your recovery time and how are you doing now?
|

User Profile
replied September 13th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Debm
Mole removal can be performed by cosmetic surgeon or dermatologist and typically takes less than an hour to perform. The mole will be removed with excision(this includes stitches), shaving(no stitches) or with a laser treatment.
I'm praying for you!
|

replied September 13th, 2007
Thank you so much for your prayers and I'm praying for all of you. A friend of mine says her Dad has the same thing and he goes back in a week. I'll pray for him too.
|

replied September 21st, 2007
The biopsy came back basel cell carcinoma. The doctor took it out and has to send it to pathology to make sure she removed it all. She said I'm not going to die from it. Yet, I still worry since I had it for so long. I go back in a week.
|

User Profile
replied September 22nd, 2007
Experienced User
If she said that your not going to die i would believe her. My friend a few years ago had a cancerous mole on her arm. Ended up with skin cancer and they just removed it and she was fine. Couldn't tell that she was even going through anything, so i'm sure you'll be fine. And if she didn't get it all she'll just go and get some more Smile no biggie! You'll be fine
|

Thanks Keeba, your response meant a lot to me. It made my day actually! I haven't told a lot of people about this cause I was always afraid of doom responses. I guess my fears are the doom.

I'm happy your friend is doing well. Have a great day!
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Your welcome, Anytime! Very Happy
|
12 >>