Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cold, Flu and Viral Infections Forum

Donating Blood - Contracting Infectous Disease?

Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...
Hi, I recently donated blood at my local blood bank. Two days after the donation I began to have chills and night sweats with a fever (37.6 degrees). This last for about 5 days. I'm worried that I may have contracted a disease from donating blood. Please help.....
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile The Ginger 1
|

User Profile
replied September 5th, 2007
Community Volunteer
Hi Leo

I sure to say, that you cannot contract diseases by donating blood, as they are taking the blood out of you, not pumping it in ...
You may just be a bit run down after this proceedure, or got the 'flu' Crying or Very sad ... keep your fluids up, drink plenty of water, and sweat that fever out ... Wink

Take care, and please let me know if I can be of any further help.
Wink
Ginger
|

replied October 8th, 2011
So its just my immune system?
So, Getting the Flu or Flu like symptoms after donating is just your body's way of telling you, your not up to speed yet? I feel awful and really sickly, with a cough and runny nose and headaches, and I just need to know if its because my immune system isn't caught up yet?
If that's so, i'll stop worrying so much.
|