Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Muscular and Nerve Disorders Forum

Finger Nails

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
for about the past month my finger nails have been turnning white. when it started you could bearly see it. it started at the cutical and now is about half way down my nail. could you please tell me what this means, i don't understand why this is happening
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 5th, 2007
Most of the time the white spots on your nails simply are a sign of a past injury. By the time the white spot shows up (about six weeks after the injury) you've probably forgotten all about banging or knocking your fingers. Sometimes, the injury can stem from a manicure that put excessive pressure on the base of the nails. The white spots also can be a sign of an allergic reaction to nail polish or nail hardeners and, sometimes, are a symptom of a mild infection.
It can also be liver or heart disease, kidney disorders or, more likely, a lack of iron or zinc in your diet.

Ask your doctor about it.
|

User Profile
replied September 5th, 2007
Community Volunteer
Hi

I think they are 'calcuim' spots .... as nails and bone contain calcuim, any lack of this may cause these spots, and as it starts at the cuticle after a week or 2, as the nail grows, it will eventually get to the tip, it's nothing to worry about, as previously stated by 1nsomni4, you may have knocked it and it's 'fractured'....
Take care Laughing Wink

Ginger
|
Quick Reply