Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Help - Iud And Pain (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
I had a c section about 8 weeks ago. I had a mirena IUD put in me about a week ago. Today I felt an extremely sharp pain that felt as though a bee was stinging me in the uterus. The pain was definitely in my uterus. I called the doctor and the nurse stated that if it happened only once she was not concerned. She told me to feel for the string. I tried to find it but can't locate it. I haven't tried until now to even touch the string so perhaps it's there but I just can't feel it. I also am on my period. At least I am hoping it's my period and not perforation of the uterus. I haven't done anything extraneous which would cause perforation. I was actually just sitting down when the intense pain came over me. I felt a bit of the stinging sensation about five minutes ago, again. It is past office hours and currently it's not bad enough to go to the emergency room.

Help

....Added - found the string but still worried.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper GiGi2212
|

User Profile
replied September 5th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
That actually is vaguely normal and should go away. Keep in contact with your doc about it if it doesn't.

I had sharp and unbearable, (like down on the floor) pains like that a couple times a week for months. It was horrible. But it's not like that for most people. It should go away or they should be able to do some adjusting. But don't put up with it too long like I did, I should've made the doc fix it because the doc who took it out said it was probably in wrong.
|

replied April 15th, 2011
Ive had mine for two months. The insertion was uncomfortably painful but didn't last long but still feel pressure of it. I have never been able to feel the string but had an ultra sound saying it's in the right spot. Today I had sex and the pain afterwards has been sooo unbareable having sharp pains in my overies area and my bum hole! I had a baby six months ago and this pain today actually had me screaming When my contractions while induced (which r worse) never made me scream. I couldn't stand, sit or lay with these pains today my husband was trying to bring me to the hospital. I have a very high tolerance for pain. I also have been lightly bleeding from my period for a couple days not sure if that has to do with nething. I'm giving it a day to go away.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Thanks for responding. I am wondering if mine was put in wrong or slipped. I can still feel the string but the pain is sometimes unbearable. I am actually scared to have sex and my husband refuses until we know what is going on. Which means I need to run to the doctors and find out what is going on....tomorrow...morning!!!

I do have an extremely low tolerance for pain but this sharp pain is different from anything I have experienced. I am so glad that someone else can relate. If it is in wrong, could it cause a perforated uterus? The chances of getting pregnant are higher if it is in incorrectly, right? I really couldn't imagine getting pregnant after just having a baby. I am sometimes a hypochondriac. It probably just needs adjusting. I don't know if I am having my period or if it's bleeding from the Miranda. I am going on day 5 of off again, on again bleeding.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
The bleeding is very likely from the IUD. That shouldn't worry you.

But yes, if it's not in place correctly, you are at risk for pregnancy. If the doc thinks that might be the case, they might do an ultrasound to be sure of the placement.

I don't know for sure, but my doc said that a perforated uterus wouldn't cause pain because there aren't nerve endings in the uterine walls... you could just tell if the strings were gone. That's probably not the case for you.

But like I said, don't let them blow you off! It may take a while for you to be comfortable, that is true. But don't do what I did and let it go on for months and months. I was miserable that whole time!!!
|

User Profile
replied September 18th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
my dr or the nurse informed me as well that infection can cause cramping and pain. Because its a foreign body in your uterus , it could either be placed in wrong or your body might be trying to reject it. I jsut had the mirena IUD put in this past friday. I havent experienced any sharp pains at all.
|

replied November 24th, 2007
Mirena Iud
I had a Mirena put in me 2 years ago , the first 2 week or months I'm not sure which I had really sharp pains , like maybe a shock in my lower stomache area , dr. said it was a usual side affect and it should go away before to long
|

replied March 26th, 2009
Mirena IUD
i have had my IUD for 4 months, and every month i get cramps that are sooo severe, and in the past months, i have barely bled, but this time its bleeding more. So im guessing its obviously my period, but the cramps are way worse then they ever where before i got it. is this going to happen for the rest of the time i have it? is this normal?
|

replied April 3rd, 2009
In so much paid- IUD!
I had my IUD fitted this morning and am currently writhing about in pain in bed, the pains in my stomach and all down my legs, anyone have any suggestions on how to ease the pain, i cant bare it!
|

User Profile
replied April 3rd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Re: In so much paid- IUD!
meganlucy wrote:
I had my IUD fitted this morning and am currently writhing about in pain in bed, the pains in my stomach and all down my legs, anyone have any suggestions on how to ease the pain, i cant bare it!

I too had horrible pains the day of my IUD. I used a heating pad and took a pain pill. There wasnt much I else I could do but sleep. My period came the next day, but the extreme pains were gone. To this day, my 1st day of my period is horrible. I have such bad cramps. Then I feel fine for the rest of my period.

Hang in ther it should get better by tomorrow. Use a heating pad, take some pain medication and rest. I also found that a warm bath helped...oh and sex did too
|

replied April 6th, 2009
IUD....
I just had my IUD removed last Wednesday after having it in for just over a year... I had pain from the start--that just never eased up.... the last 3 months that I had it in was virtually one long period. There would be days that I could not even stand up straight.... I had it taken out and like magic I feel better already--my dr. told me I was going to bleed "all over the place for a while" but only experienced maybe 2 days of heavy bleeding after it was removed--nothing like the 3 months I just went through. I am a little nervous about going back on the pill (I was not very efficient at the pill--and got pregnant..) but the pain just never got better--my periods got worse.... not better like they promote. My dr. said everyone has a different reaction--but I just dealt with it for a year hoping it would get better....until I couldn't stand it anymore. If you still have pain in a couple months--I'll bet the pain will be there in a year too.... just a matter of how much you can or want to handle... I'd definitely keep in contact with your dr. though.
|

replied March 10th, 2012
That's how I feel, I actually go to the doctor Monday, and I been having mine for a year and had pain all year. So I might have him take mine out as well, and I too, had gotten pregnant on the pills, so I need another solution...
|

replied April 28th, 2009
Thinking about removal...
I am thinking about getting my IUD removed as I have had it for a little over a year and have pain all the time. I went to the doctor for this and she just said well pain can happen with it and at least your not pregnant that's the important part. I don't really agree with that, I just want it taken out, how do I go about that, obviously she won't do it. Also is it a good idea to get it taken out or will the pain eventually go away? I just hate it.
|

replied July 14th, 2009
I just got my IUD inserted last week and that experience was the most painful day of my life. I cried and almost screamed when she checked my cervix and then inserted. She said its not likely for women to get an IUD if they hadn't had children yet, but she didn't say why until afterwards. The Pain! I've had horrible pain ever since and I already want it out. The only thing is I'm scared to death about the removal as the insertion was so painful. Does anyone know if the removal is as painful or have experienced the procedure?
|

replied October 4th, 2012
IUD removal
I recentley got mine in last week to this day and this morning i had it removed. It is a little uncomfortable but if you're used to getting paps then you'll be fine. It didn't hurt when she removed it, just a little pressure and you feel it come out.It literally lasted two minutes. I felt immediate relief afterwards having a bit of normal cramping but nothing like the cramping i was having. Removal is a much much easier way then the insertion.
|

replied August 18th, 2009
Come on, its not that bad!
I read these reviews before getting my IUD in and they scared me to death. I have not had a child, and I got my IUD in today, it went totally fine. I was shaky and crampy for a few hours after, and I cried the entire drive to my house, but a few hours after I was fine. The benefits out weigh the few hours of pain and discomfort that's for sure. I am baby-free for five years... and I know having a baby is a lot more pain than getting an IUD so it was totally worth it.
|

replied September 1st, 2009
Seriously, it's not that bad at all
I got my IUD put in about two weeks ago, and I can say that the procedure itself was painful for about a minute and after that I was just mildly uncomfortable. The pain itself was gone by the next day, though I was still able to 'notice' something a bit different for a few days.

I can definitely say it was better than ANY dentist appointment I've ever been to, and that the majority of these posts represent the WORST CASE scenario (unprofessional, uncaring and inexperienced doctors).

Also, I've been experiencing the same sharp pains as the original poster. This isn't from perforation. If you can feel the strings, it's there and it should be correctly placed. These pains may be from an infection like PID or even a UTI/Bladder infection. The IUD leads to a high risk of infection for the first few weeks, and if you've had sex or used tampons, the risk is even higher.

You should definitely see a doctor, probably a different one than you're seeing now, and tell them you're worried you have PID, as it's sometimes hard to diagnose.
|

replied November 6th, 2011
It really can be that bad... I'm on day 3 of so much pain I can't even sleep... my teeth chatter and I don't get UTIs... never had an STD as I test myself annually... I have been beaten to internal bleeding before... I can say this is worse... I'm glad your body didn't reject it... but when it does it is violently painful... for me at least... I haven't had a child nor was I on my period for my appt... but it was the only time I was able to schedule this month and I thought it being right before my period would be ok... I have 4 jobs so I don't have time for this.
|

replied September 5th, 2009
Does anyone have the paragard IUD?? I had paragard which is the hormone free iud made from copper about 11 months ago and since then have developed unexplained lower back pain and joint pain. I also have trouble sleeping at night and a low sex drive. I was wondering if there is anyone else that is experiencing this too? I am going to see my dr next week to see about getting it removed.
|

replied October 6th, 2009
Hey T77-

I too have experienced some problems with the Paraguard. I've had it for a little over 2 months, and experience sharp pains, and almost constant lower back pain. Did you ever go to see the doctor about it?
|

replied January 4th, 2010
I'm 25yrs old and had the copper IUD inserted for about 2yrs. I had never had cramps before this but once I got the IUD my cramps were so bad they made me cry, my periods lasted 2 weeks and the bleeding was so heavy I had to wear a tampon and a pad.
I got lower back pain, all the time. It hurt to have sex and I had an infection (odor,discharge, and itching) at least once a month. When I did not have my period I would feel random poking around my uterus and it hurt, I couldn't stand up straignt a times.
I kept telling myself these things would go away once my body got used to it, but it didn't happen. I was so self concious because of all the infections I didn't even want to have sex anymore.
Hope this helps.
|
Users who thank sl032508 for this post: Fira_Infinity 

replied January 22nd, 2010
IUD pain and discharge
I got my Mirana put in about 2 weeks ago and I have been experiencing sharp pains on and off (mostly when I strain my muscles or move a certain way) I have had vaginal soreness and a slightly odoress discharge. I have had slight bleeding on and off. I was really worried about the pains and the discharge. I was scared that I might have gotten an infection. Is this normal? has anyone else experienced this? Should I go see a doctor?
|

replied July 8th, 2012
This describes my experience that brought me here to this forum perfectly. I see that your entry is 2 years old, but I would really love to know what your solution was, and how your experience seemed to go after this, if you wouldn't mind sharing?
|

replied February 4th, 2010
mcusce, I'd see a doctor if I were you.
I've had some bad luck with birth control.
I'm going in for a ultra sound tomorrow. a couple weeks ago I saw my obyn, after a few weeks of pain. I wondered if it was an STD, really unlikely, but I had no good explaination for the sudden pain. She said IUD seems in place fine. It feels like my uterus is being pinched, twisted, swollen, and/or pickled. Antibiotics seemed to help but not clearly or finally.
I've had this IUD about 3 1/2 years and, aside from long periods, 7-14 days, no real concerns. Bummer it's got to go.
I also had a copper IUD about 6 years ago and gave up trying to tolerate it after about a year. Moderate pain, cramping and bleeding. My doctor urged me to stick with it, that it would get better and to not to take it out, but I am glad I took it out- I put up with that too long. This time was so much better, up until a month ago.
Prior to that I had Norplant which went bad after 1 year. 15 years now I have had chronic pain syndrome at the site, through my fingers and to some extent spread through my leg. I have nerve and bone damage at the former site which Dr's called 'normal'. Suffered years of side effects from Nortriptyline med for pain. 3 years in all of total dissability and profound effect on personal life and professional career.
DO what is best for you. If you think you need something, like an IUD removal, Get it. Don't be talked out of what you need and don't count on others, even your doctor, to really know the extent of your situation. Good luck ladies!~
|
Users who thank SantaClaraGirl for this post: Montoya 

replied March 5th, 2010
I had Mirena fitted 2 years ago, although the fitting was fine, I have had problems with back pain and really unusual pain in my lower abdoman. I have searched many web sites for info on Mirena and it seems that very many women have the exact same problems with it, none of which were mentioned by the nurse at the time!
I am considering getting mine removed now as I constantly have the feeling that my uterus is swollen and sore. This morning I was unable to walk or sit down because of the sharp pains I had in my lower abdomen and down my legs. Although this doesn't happen regularly, do I really want this constant "dragging down discomfort"? Mind you, when you think of the alternative.......
|
12 >>