Medical Questions > Womens Health > Hysterectomy Forum

How Do You Prepare Physically For a Hysterectomy?

Must Read
Is ovarian cancer connected with ovarian cysts? What types of ovarian cancer do doctors diagnose? Get the basic facts on ovarian cancer here....
Some women are at higher risk of developing ovarian cancer. Who is in the highest risk group and what can you do to reduce risk of ovarian cancer?...
Ovarian cancer symptoms can be vague or caused by many other conditions. Learn what to look for and know when to seek help for ovarian cancer here....
I am having a hysterectomy (uterus and cervix) removed thru the abdomen due to a huge (canteloupe-sized fibroid). I will just have an epidural, and no general anesthesia. That's how I had my c-sections, so I think I will be able to handle it.
How can I prepare for the surgery? Should I be doing special exercises, taking certain vitamins? Any advice from veterans will be appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper 2coolkids
|

replied March 26th, 2004
:p hi jesnat

i had my hysterectomy 25 days ago. I had the scope surgery first, but the fibroid was too large (the size of a baby's head). Major surgery followed with a total hysterectomy.

I was under general with no regrets. This was my first time for any surgery. Are you sure you want to hear everything that is going on? I did ask for pictures (really cool for me to see where my kids came from).
I also have the report from pathology. That is why I wonder if you really want to hear what is going on. Lots was found during the surgery, like my bowel was attached to this growth... Ouch. Hearing that I would have fainted i'm sure.

I mentally prepared for as much as I could. Frozen dinners for a week with directions attached was by far the best thing I did. Microwave to the table. My family than could visit me in hospital with my kids homework finished before they came. I asked that friends not come over to "visit" until I felt up to it. Hard to do...But they respected my wishes thankfully.

Vitamins I started six weeks before. Multi-vitamin, b-12 for stress, and calcium were my choices. Get done what is important before surgery, let the rest sit until you feel you can handle it.

I'm 45 yrs and never did I expect this to come in my life. I'm thankful for the surgery and my doctor. I was more than scared going under, but looked to those who had knowledge and I put my trust in them. My scar is shrinking in length and is healed. I have a patch and will continue until I change to the vaginal ring after my six week visit. I feel like i've never had the surgery today. I feel very blessed in saying that.

They only thing I would really want you to know after the surgery. Try to practice getting out of bed. That was the most painful part and I did get the dry heaves from the pain, even with morphine attached to me and given by a button that I pushed at my discretion (i.V.). I would have practiced some!!

I will keep you in my prayers. Take care of you.

Sincerely,

2coolkids
|

replied March 26th, 2004
Thanks, 2coolkids:

im having my surgery 4/20. I'll take your advice. Thankfully, my 2 kids are fully grown (i'm 50) so they will probably be taking care of me. That will be a nice switch. Glad to know you are doing so well, it alleviates my concerns a lot and I appreciate it.
|

replied March 27th, 2004
:d
glad I could offer you some support. I'll keep you in my prayers. Take care of you and glad you have some grown up kids to be with you.

Sincerely,

2coolkids (becky)
|

replied March 28th, 2012
I have been taken off the depo injection my dr.
Thinks it is causing my high blood pressure.
I am wanting a hysterectomy as I don't want anymore
Children. Will having high blood pressure affect me having
It done. Does anybody know.
|
Quick Reply