Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Am I the Only One With Back Pain While Laying Down?????? (Page 1)

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
Help! I'm so frustrated!! I've been dealing with this back pain over three years and I can't get an answer that works.

I injured my back at work 3+ years ago. I herniated two disks in my thorasic spine....doctors seemed shocked on the location of the herniations. Ever since then, I haven't been able to sleep. Over the years the pain traveled down my spine and is now all the way from my thorasic down to my lower lumbar. There are days when I can't even walk due to the pain in my hip joint due to muscle strain near my tail bone.

I've been dealing with my "WORKERS COMP" doctors and they just keep giving me more drugs. (WHICH I REFUSE) Now it seems like their COP OUT is degeneritive disks. With this diagnosis I won't get any disability or even coverage of any future medical bills. I'm at my wits end.

I'm so sick of only getting about 4 hours of extreemly broken sleep every night (up every 20 minutes or so). I've tried the heat, cold, drugs, exercise, three years of physical therapy, different sleeping positions (sleeping upright in a chair is the best option), chiropractic.... the list goes on.

I just feel so alone because everywhere i turn for help I find people that actually get relief while laying down. For me it is so much worse in that position. Is there ANYONE out there that has symptoms similar to mine? I'd love to hear from you so we can compare notes, I'm at a loss and at my wits end.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ironside
|
Users who thank witsend for this post: HealthyPA 

replied September 4th, 2007
Hi witsend,

I empathize with you and I suffered with a similar problem of not being able to lay on my back sometime ago. However I guess my problem was not exactly same as yours, because mine was caused by lifting a heavy weight when my spine was completely unprepared for it. It lead to a injury in my lower spine making it bend. (Its now called scoliosis).

Now my problem is alleviated to a large extent and I can sleep much better. But then, I have a whole lot of other health problems too. I only have a suggestion for you. After much research I tried homeopathy and that seems to be helping me. I am not completely cured or pain free, but I guess it helps. The other thing you could probably do is investigate osteopathy and consult one if you haven't already done so.

Don't feel alone. Try and keep up your spirit and have the faith that things will get ok. I wish you all the best for getting well soon.
|

replied November 1st, 2012
PAIN WHEN I LAY DOWN
I have that problem also. When i lay down, no problem. Take 800 mg at night but thats only good for 3 maybe 4 hours of sleep. once that wears off, the pain wakes me up. Then the pain is worse. Its like my lower back is settling into a position that after a while just worsen as time goes. I slowly get up, and after stretching the pain goes away. It doesnt hurt during the day. Fall asleep in a chair no pain. I can sit in the car for hours, no pain. I have a landscaping job and yes, no pain. It's only when I sleep in the bed, on the floor, on the floor with quilts, whatever. Help............
|

replied September 4th, 2007
Thanks for the well wishes Smile

This might sound a little nieve, but what is osteopathy? What makes it different than regular chiropractic? I've seen a few chiropractors that are into "the natural" way of doing things and have been given some natural medications that didn't work.. are you saying there is something I haven't tried?

I'm at the point where there isn't anything I wouldn't try if there was some hope of relief!
|

replied November 26th, 2007
Back Pain Laying Down
hi, i'm sure it's different from you, but i have so much pain laying down, can't find a position that i don't hurt. no sleep. i had back surgery in june and then again in july. discetomy of my L5 and something... first surgery was to correct foot drop and it worked.. then my spinal fluid started leaking ended up having to have another surgery to repair that.. then and infection in my back.. anyways it's been over 3 months and a month ago i started getting the pain it is painful when i stand and walk, well it really never stops, but the laying down is the worst.. consider your self lucky that they give you something for pain, i got somthing for sleep, but it only works a couple hours. my doctor wants me to go back to p.t. those people just shruged their heads at me.. i tried to explain to the doc that it wasn't my muscles, but he thinks it is.. he wants to wait another month or so till he trys some injections. i just want it to stop now. getting very frustrated and the lack of sleep doesn't help.. most people with back pain get relief when they lay down.. my last mri i couldn't get off the table.....it takes me at least 5 minutes to get out of bed and alot of noise. i was considering the back crackers, but now i'm sure i don't want to after listenting to you. something has to be putting pressure on the nerves in that laying down position. have u had anyone suggest injections in your spine? going to try to see my general doc today and beg for pain pills. please let me no if you find out anything that works. am running out of patients.. i still go to work but am unable to do the job i was hired to do. they let me drive around instead. no lifting so i have been lucky in that way. but not getting anysleep it's hard to maintain my focus.. i have heard that acupunture is a good alternative. have u tried that?
|

replied November 26th, 2007
Experienced User
Most common pains are sitting pain, standing pain and pain while lying. You didn't mention how you injured your back? What is the cause of problems...

Sometimes osteopathians are better than chiropractors. But there are many kind of osteopathians. Some of them are very similar to chiropractors.
|

replied November 28th, 2007
i don't know how i cracked my disc but a piece was causing foot drop, my op corrected it.... then i started leaking spinal fluids, had to have another op to fix it. then i got an infection in my spine... now i'm thinking i have another infection but am being tossed back and forth from the infection doctor to the surgeon. went to my general practioner today. he looked at my mri and started calling the other doctors telling them they better look into the infection again.. he's a good kid.. at least he gave me some pain pills to help me cope.. working was getting too hard. anyway, he told me it was not in my back musles like my surgeon thought.. i'm going to try some aquatherapy and am really praying for it to help. it's getting interesting.. at least he told me i wasn't crazy.. i thanked him for that.
|

replied December 9th, 2007
ritapa wrote:
i don't know how i cracked my disc but a piece was causing foot drop, my op corrected it.... then i started leaking spinal fluids, had to have another op to fix it. then i got an infection in my spine... now i'm thinking i have another infection but am being tossed back and forth from the infection doctor to the surgeon. went to my general practioner today. he looked at my mri and started calling the other doctors telling them they better look into the infection again.. he's a good kid.. at least he gave me some pain pills to help me cope.. working was getting too hard. anyway, he told me it was not in my back musles like my surgeon thought.. i'm going to try some aquatherapy and am really praying for it to help. it's getting interesting.. at least he told me i wasn't crazy.. i thanked him for that.

I have foot Drop to. Mine started 4 weeks ago and i've not tried any procedures. My Dr said it was my desision to let it heal, try injections, or go with non-intrusive surgery. I chose surgery. Surgery is Tuesday but i'm worried that other complications such as your might spring up.

My pain was sever but has subsided some. Its still very annoying and I don't sleep well and in pain and discomfort constantly.
|

replied December 9th, 2007
ritapa wrote:

I have foot Drop to. Mine started 4 weeks ago and i've not tried any procedures. My Dr said it was my desision to let it heal, try injections, or go with non-intrusive surgery. I chose surgery. Surgery is Tuesday but i'm worried that other complications such as your might spring up.

My pain was sever but has subsided some. Its still very annoying and I don't sleep well and in pain and discomfort constantly.
|

replied December 12th, 2007
[ my first surgery was okay, i was up that night walking and raiding the fridge in the hospital.. all i can say is do exactly what the doctor tells you. do not feel like your fine and try anything like lifting anything more than u are supposed to. i my have over done it. walked a little too much and picked up a cooler that had some ice in it.. good luck and please let me know how it goes. just be so careful. you no they kick u out of the hospital so fast now, and i understand some of the reasoning but not being in there has a tendency to make people underestamate the severity of the procedure. again good luck and take it easy..
|

replied September 5th, 2008
Help
So I was reading this forum. And I can totally empathize with those who have low back pain. I tell you one thing I have tried it all. Osteopathy, Homeopathy, Chiropractic and PT and it never worked. In fact it seemed to make it worse. After my third chiropractor I came upon this one chiropractor that explained everything to me in great detail. Simply put he explained to me that Not every chiropractor is equally as good. Everyone thinks they are ALL the same. They are NOT. Its like ANY profession there are good ones and bad ones. He specializes in a thing call Gonstead Chiropractic which is chiropractic but they do more studying and a more thorough job. He has helped me tremendously. I am so glad because I have heard so many stories of unsuccessful surgery I refused to do it. I can do everything I ever wanted and I am playing golf, sleeping better than i ever have, and I am 48. Don't be discouraged. There is help. Oh and just to help a little more if the chiropractor doesn't take and X-ray or use chiropractic instrument they aren't being responsible enough.
Blessings
|

replied September 5th, 2008
You are not alone. I've heard many people say that their herniated disc pain is much better when they are laying down, however, mine aswell is as much a pest whether I am standing or laying down.
Try sleeping on your side, with a pillow inbetween your legs, this should take some pressure off of your vertebre. It has helped me a tiny bit. But I hope the best for you.
|

replied April 22nd, 2010
Lower Back Pain, consistent with inital poster
I can relate to the orginal poster, almost exactly. I too had thorasic surgey T1-C7 2 years ago. Over the past couple of months, I have had terrible lower back pain, intolerable to sleep (any position) but can work it out ''some'' day, not all days. And again at night it''s just terrible. Seen a Chiro, he has helped but it doesn''t stick for more that 3-4 days. Chriro said lower back may be cause by the fusion I had causing rigidity on other parts of the spine. Makes sense. I too refuse the meds.

Iam shocked you insurance will not cover deg dics dis? Why not?
Been several year since this post, wondering if you''ve had any relief?
|

replied August 16th, 2010
my lower back pain is incredibly strong while lying down I get relief when I am standing or walking. I have done everything I was told to do by every type of doctor I think they just don't know what is the problem.
|

replied August 17th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
ironside
have the docs done any testing. did they mention the facet joints?
|

replied October 24th, 2010
Lower Back Pain While Laying Down
I hope the original poster, and all the rest of them have been able to improve their situation.

I too suffer from this while laying down. I am fine during the day, but after about four hours of laying down at night the lower back starts hurting. If I get out of bed it is gone in less than a minute...what gives? I often heard a "crack" in my lower back/hips when standing up, for whatever that is worth...Would be nice to solve this little mistery since it has been interfering with my sleeping for years now. The extent of the problem varies with different mattress, but it never goes completely away.
|

replied October 28th, 2010
Is It worth buying a memory foam mattress?
I have lower back pain when lying down also, I don't know exactly why but I suspect it's a combination of old injuries and the fact that I do a desk job.
I'm considering buying a memory foam mattress but I've heard that the cheap ones are no good if you want proper support.
They are expensive so I was wondering if anyone here had heard of them or better still owns one?

Thanks
|

replied June 24th, 2011
I also suffer from pain after laying down but have never found answers to why it happens. Laying down for one or two hours I can usually get away with without too much discomfort. Problem there is that I am a very hard sleeper and won't wake up until the pain gets pretty bad. It then takes me about 5 or 10 minutes to get out of bed. Sometimes I am ok within a just few minutes but sometimes I have problem with the pain for a few days. Most of the pain that I have is lower and mid back pain but I do get some neck and joint pain on occasion. I am 48 now and have had back problems since my twenties. Though I did not realize it, thinking back now, laying down may have contributed greatly to my back pain early on. I have been diagnosed with bulging discs, herniated discs, spinal stenosis, arthritis, etc. It seems I get a different diagnosis with each Dr. that I have seen. Sleeping sitting up in the corner of the couch is how I get the most rest. It still isn't enough. Thank you for posting and I hope you find answers.
|

replied August 6th, 2011
BACK PAIN = CANT BREATHE.
Hi everyone.

I have a similar issue. I am 18years old and I've been suffering from this problem for about 5months or so...

If i walk around just to simply go to the loo and then decide to lay down, i can't breathe properly as the lower part of my back hurts really bad, so i am "fighting" with my back pain to try and breathe... My dad suffers from MAJOR back issues and so does his dad... (i know we have the same issues with our knees as my sister and my dad and his dad have a knee problem; aches/pains)

Do you think i should go to the chiropractor? or just see if it goes??.. HELP!
|

replied September 25th, 2011
lower back pain (my expirience)
i started to have lower back pain about 9 years ago, from sleeping on a soft mattress on my stomach. i was then in my early 30's and after 10 min of waking up and starting to walk the pain would disappear and so the years went by. by the time i manage to change beds it was apparently to late. a year ago around this time the pain was unbearable, it had moved also to my shoulders, it lingered all day and i did not matter what kind of mattress i had i could not get a good night sleep.
I started pilates which has been good, but the real change was when i got Rolfing therapy. The lower back pain is still there but less than 50% of what it was a year ago, and the permanent shoulder pain is gone.
I had the standard 10 sessions of Rolfing, it has now been 3 months since i completed that and i will go again for 3 extra sessions. i will do this as many times as it takes.
I would recommend anyone with back pain to read about Rolfing on the net and give it a try.
|

replied February 8th, 2012
I am experiencing a terrible back pain while laying down, also. I am a 48 y.o. female, sitting at work 8 hours at office every day. It usually starts after 4 hours of sleep and it seems that right side of middle section of back hurts most. Pain is so intense, I have tried to lay on my stomach, on the right side, on the left side, put a cushion under my knees etc, and nothing has worked. I had to put thick cusions behind my back and literally sat asleep for many nights because of that. Usually my pain goes away after getting up, moving around and once the pain is gone, it's even hard to pinpoint where exactly it hurt. Went to a Chilopractor, tried MuscleEase that he recommended, did electric massaging, went to a medical doctor who just thought I had pulled a muscle or something, tried prescription drugs (muscle relaxant, pain killer, sleeping pills), nothing really cured my problem. I came across someone's post about Lordosis and I started wondering if it was something hip related, so I also considered going to Rolfing, but before that, I decided to start stretching and Yoga to see if it works. It's a few weeks ever since I started stretching and do some Yoga. My husband says it is important to stretch every part of your body, not just lower back, so I am trying to do several kind every day. My pain was going for over one month and during the period I never slept through laying down, but now I am getting to the point that I can keep laying down, even if I still feel some pain. I just realized that when this problem happened, I tried to find someone coming over to magically "cure" my pain and give me some solution, but probably this is something I have to work on it, too. I am not quite sure if my case is Lordosis or it's a solution for other people's cases, but at least stretching and moving my body seem to be working for my body.
|

replied April 3rd, 2012
Back pain only when laying down
I'm glad I found this website as my back pain was similar to many here. The pain only occurred when I was lying down and in the mid to lower back area. If I turned while lying in bed, I would get a quick severe pain (like a sharp knife) in the middle of my spine. Like others, I couldn't sleep at night due to the continued pain, but when I got out of bed, the pain remained for 15 to 20 minutes but then disappeared. I had no back pain doing daily functions. I went to a couple of doctors and they had not heard of such an issue. One suggested that I have an MRI, but it revealed nothing out of the ordinary for a man my age (52). It was suggested that I get physical therapy. I have to say, within two weeks working with the physical therapist, I can sleep at night. She pinpointed my issue within 15 minutes which was the muscles that surround the spine were not being used to keep it aligned properly. She has me doing exercises to strengthen them and to focus on tightening my stomach and lower back muscles as I turn in bed. I have to focus on this tightening but when I do, there is no pain at all. She is slowly working on various exercises with me to rebuild these muscles, with the end game being that eventually it will be second nature to utilize the muscles without having to think about it. This is working for me as I can now sleep at night and get out of bed in the morning with no pain. I hope that my experience will assist someone else that may be having this issue. I understand the pain you are going through and the need to find a answer to make it go away!
|
12 >>