Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Can You Start the Pill Anytime of the Month (Page 1)

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
User Profile
Hello everyone. I am going to start taking BC but dont know when to start it. I am starting the 777 pack, but my doctor said I need to wait until the first sunday of my next period. This is crazy cause I need to be on BC as soon as possible. What have you guys heard? I should trust my doctor but I have heard different things. Also why should it matter? Also have you guys had any bad side affects on 777?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper kristigraham
|

replied September 3rd, 2007
Re: Can You Start the Pill Anytime of the Month
Well, I'd suggest just going with what the doctor said. They told me to do the same thing. Wait until the period following the start of your period. And don't have unprotected sex still until at least a month after you start taking it.
|

replied September 3rd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Rosie H wrote:
Hello everyone. I am going to start taking BC but dont know when to start it. I am starting the 777 pack, but my doctor said I need to wait until the first sunday of my next period. This is crazy cause I need to be on BC as soon as possible. What have you guys heard? I should trust my doctor but I have heard different things. Also why should it matter? Also have you guys had any bad side affects on 777?

You can start right now, it's okay.

The reason they have you start on the first day of your period is so that the pills are immediately effective. Since you want to start mid-cycle, you will need to wait one full week before you are protected from pregnancy.
|

replied April 25th, 2011
So how do i know when to start taking he placebo pills?
shouldnt the placebo pills be taken during your period days??

im so confused. thank you!
|

User Profile
replied September 4th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
thanks for the replys. I am releived.
|

User Profile
replied September 4th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
They usually just say Sunday because it's easy to remember and lowers your chance of having your period on the weekend.
|

replied September 5th, 2007
Confused
So I just started taking Yasmin...and I was told to take it within the first 3 days of my cycle. and i took it on the first day. am i posing any danger to myself? my period was already late by two weeks and my mother said i am screwing my body up big time. will i be ok?
|

User Profile
replied September 5th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Re: Confused
britt1987 wrote:
So I just started taking Yasmin...and I was told to take it within the first 3 days of my cycle. and i took it on the first day. am i posing any danger to myself? my period was already late by two weeks and my mother said i am screwing my body up big time. will i be ok?

Why would you think you are screwing up your body?

No, there is no danger. If you took it on the first day of your period that is just fine. It might take a few months for your period to become regular again, but it won't hurt you at all, it's just inconvenient. But that would happen regardless of when you started.
|

replied May 31st, 2012
My mom tells me the same thing-that it will screw my body up, or more specifically, mess with my hormones. Technically, they are right and she's probably not just saying it to scare you out of doing it because she doesn't want you to have sex. I am 20 and married and my mother still advises against birth control because it is unnatural and when you do ANYTHING unnatural to your body it's not good for it. Whatever you do, don't assume your mom is an idiot. That is my main point because there will most likely come a time in your life when you wish you had followed much of her advice. I know that's happened to me.
|

replied February 23rd, 2010
When?
My period is due any day now, however I do not want it to happen on saturday (im going away for the weekend)
should i just take it today( tuesday) or wait till the first day of my period which could be saturday ahh!
Is it harmful to take it when my period hasn't started?
|

replied February 23rd, 2010
Especially eHealthy
loulou, It is normal to start birth control pills on the first day of menstruation. If you are only starting it now for the first time, the chances are very good that it will not make any difference on Saturday if you start it today. You can only regulate your cycle with the pills if your body is used to the hormones.

If you are a tampon user, my advice will be to go and look for Instead SoftCups in your local store. These are disposable menstrual cups that you put inside your vagina. It catches the blood for up to 12 hours and its got nothing sticking out of you. In that 12 hours there are no smells or health problems with keeping it in.

If you are a pad user, you will probably just have to make space for Aunt Flo to go with.

Enjoy your weekend!
|

replied April 10th, 2012
When you say "start birth control pills on the first day on menstruation" does that mean the hormonal pills or the placebo pills? I thought the placebos were supposed to be taken during menstruation?
|

replied May 28th, 2010
Birth control
Hello,

Can someone advise...I start my BC "Yasmin" on a Monday about 8 days before my period start...Do I have to stop the pill and start it again on my period day? should I continue taking it normally? Is there any chance that I might be messing up my body cycle. please I will be very thanksfull of having some insight. Thanks
|

replied July 4th, 2010
stopped taking the pills and unprotected sex
hi everyone, I have stopped taking my BC pills -YAZ- 3 weekes ago because I started a diet and gym classes and I wanted to loose weight. I've been taking them for 4 years now and I became very regular with my period, I started taking them because I was very irregular - in a year I got my period 5 times! Imagine that! So I had some doubts: I just had unprotected sex with my boyfriend (TODAY JULY 4th) and I was wonderig, can I start taking YAZ right away?? does this help me to not get pregnant??? and can I start the BC pills at anytime, when ever I want, not only on the first day of menstruation??? I checked my cycles calendar and yesterday (JULY 3rd) I begun my fertile days and my last period started on June 22nd, I know i'ts not time to get my period yet, but I also wanted to know if theres anything that I can take that can help me to not get pregnant?! I have to say this so that you can understand my situation, but I don't know how to put it in decent words and I hope you understand what I mean by Nothing Happend during sex, but still, I'm worried because I'm not on the pill and we didn't use a condom. Can someone answer my doubts??! I can't wait 'till tomorrow (JULY 5th) to ask my doctor
|

replied July 19th, 2010
My dr. told me the reason they ask you to start the pill during your period is to make sure you aren't pregnant. As long as your 100% sure you aren't, then you can start the pill anytime.
|

replied November 25th, 2011
My doctor told me the same thing but didn't explain if I was going to protected on the second pack or if the directions are the same every month. I'm really confused. I started my first pack 7 days after my period and got my period a week late and started my second pack after my period started. So my question is am I protected? And if not when am I protected.
|

replied August 21st, 2010
i'm starting a 28-pill cycle, but i'm visiting in my boyfriend for a week in a few months and i want to make sure i am not going to have my period. this may sound like a lame question, but once i start the first pill, when will my period actually come - during the last few unactive/"fake" pills?.....

i feel so clueless and forgot to ask these questions at the dr's office!!
|

replied December 22nd, 2010
when will my next period be?
Im taking levlen ed now and its the first birth control pill i have used. The dr told me to start taking the pill on the first day of my period which is what i did. also , i was suppose to start in the red section and i did, but because my period started on a sunday, i only took one pill that was in the red section and then i just followed the other pills in the green section. Will this screw up my next period. because i thought that when u reach the red section that was when you were suppose to get your next period, but i dont think that will be the same for me as i started on the last part of the red section. my question is basically, when will i get my next period? will it still be 21 - 28 days?
because i really want to know when my next period will be , no one likes to get it unexpectedly.
|

replied February 27th, 2011
yaz
my doctor perscribed me yaz yesturday and i have already had my period this month but it is for acne and im not expecting my period for another 3 weeks so can i just start taking them if its not for contraception? and when around will my next period be if i dont take it on my first day
|

replied April 1st, 2011
If I missed 4 pills?
what should i do if i went abroad and managed grab only 1 pack of BC.When the pack will be finished im going to miss 4 pills of the next pack.Should i get some different brand of BC here and take 4 tablets of next pack and by returning home continue taking yasmin.Is it safe?
|

replied April 26th, 2011
can i go back on the pill after not having a period?
Hi i came off my dianette pill 5 weeks ago and havnt had a period yet and is driving me mad, i want to go back on it for another year can i just start it even tho i dont know when my period is coming? or shud i be taking a pregnancy test?
|

replied June 18th, 2011
I'm having the same problem. I took the plan b pill at the beginning of the month and my period is now 8 days late. I don't think I'm pregnant so does anyone know if the plan b pill can make your cycle messed up? Please help I'm freaking out
|

replied July 20th, 2011
i just got the pill today and the doctor said to wait until the first day or the first sunday of my next period, but ive read that you can start taking it anyday of the month. am i putting myself at risk by just starting the pill today, instead of waiting?
|

replied July 22nd, 2011
Regardless of when you start the pill (First day of period, Sunday after next period), you MUST use a back up method for the first full month of taking the pill. The reason why doctors will tell you it's best to start when your period comes is to ensure that you aren't pregnant. If you are 100% positive that you aren't, it's okay to start at anytime. Make sure you take it at the same time every day. (If you're never without your cell phone, you can set a daily alarm - this is what I do and now I can't forget!) ... Also remember that's normal to experience some spotting between periods in the very beginning of starting the pill - so don't panic and continue to take the pill regularly.

Hope this helps! Smile
|

replied November 25th, 2011
Community Volunteer
The science behind pills actually say that the blood levels of the hormones will reach the optimum level after 7 days, not a month.

The pill is not harmful to a baby. It is advisable to stop as soon as you find out you are pregnant, but there is absolutely no evidence that the modern pill/shot/implant/ring/patch is harmful to a developing baby in the early months.
|

User Profile
replied November 27th, 2011
Yes you can but in my view you should't use these pills more then a cource in one month.
|

replied February 28th, 2012
delaying period
My period is due in 10 days. If I start taking yasmin today (active pills of course), will it delay/stop my next period?
|
12 >>