Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Causes of difficult bowel movement , constipation, sulfur gas ?

Must Read
We burp, belch and fart an average of 12 times a day. But why do we have gas? And what is intestinal gas?...the basics here....
Intestinal gas forms from two main sources - swallowed air and bacteria in the intestine. Plus, learn which factors to avoid to decrease the likelihood of gas....
How much gas is normal? Usually symptoms of gas and flatulence are more bothersome than serious. But learn when you should seek help for excessive gas here....
User Profile
Why do I have a very difficult time having a bowel movement. Some times I am having abowel movement once a week. I constantly feel like I have 50lbs of junk in my stomach. I have tried fiber pills, and all the other good stuff with little results. Instead of having a bowel movement, I have realy bad gas. The gas that I pass always smells like sulfur.

IWhy am I experiencing this problem and any advice would be great

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied December 3rd, 2007
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A3377
According to your description you are probably experiencing constipation. It seems obvious that after several days without any bowel movement larger amount of gases will be collected in the large intestines. Those gases are the result of bacterial metabolism in the large intestines. Sulfurous or a sulfur-like smell is in fact smell of H2S-gas that originates from amino-acids metabolized by the intestinal bacteria.

Constipation is only a symptom, not a disease. If there aren't any organic reasons present for the constipation, such as tumors, it could be symptom of a functional disorder called "Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)". Constipation is treated with a fiber diet (food that contains a lot of cellulose fibers), paraffin liquid, ricinus oil, alcalax…

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.