Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Bile Duct Disorders Forum

diverticulitis ? upper stomach swollen just under rib cage

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
User Profile
my upper stomach is really swollen just under rib cage. sometimes is very tender to touch. my lower stomach or waistline is not. when i need to have a bowel movement the upper stomach gets really extended. i exercise alot, walking for at least 30 min. aday at a fast pace and i have no problem breathing, but sometimes just walking up 1 step makes me out of breath. sometimes laying in bed i start gasping for air. i know i am over weight, but i have large muscles because at times i have to do a lot of heavy lifting at work..unloading trailers with up to 2000 cases of items that weigh 50 lbs. my doctor says i am fine am not heavy, just keep walking, but this under my rib cage scares me.. i had a colonoscopy 2 years ago which is where they discovered my diverticulitis..my bowels do not funtion correctly. sometimes am constipated for days, than i have very lose stools 7-10 times aday for days. please tell me what to do.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied December 3rd, 2007
Bile Duct Disorders Answer A3374
You wrote: "List of other diseases, conditions, or injuries and their treatment: hypothyrodism, diverticulitis

Diagnosis that has been suggested: thyroid med. watch what i eat for the other

Current medical status: i have had none except for blood test which showed my thyroid problem and the colonoscopy 2 years ago
Current medical treatment: levothyroxine 0.05mg(50mcg) once a day"

According to the symptoms that you report (pain in the upper stomach, bloated stomach, constipation and diarrhea) you might be experiencing one of several possible gastro-intestinal disorders such as an intestinal infection, intestinal tumor, gallbladder disorder (stones or infections), gastritis, duodenitis, peptic ulcer, hiatus hernia, etc. Diverticulitis in the colon is also one of the possibilities. Beside these organic diseases there is one functional intestinal disorder called Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) that may be a possible diagnosis. IBS is a functional intestinal disorder without any organic damage. But before establishing the diagnosis for IBS all the possible organic disorders have to be excluded. Beside colonoscopy you can also perform some other diagnostic procedures like gastroscopy, abdominal ultrasound, occult blood test, microbiological examination of the stool etc. must be performed

An occasional breathing difficulty is another problem that should be also investigated. Several diagnostic procedures can be also done: physical examination (auscultation of the heart and lungs), ECG, X-ray of the chest (if necessary) etc.

You can consult a gastroenterologist about your problem.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bile Duct Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.