Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

reddish lesion on my left arm - Skin Cancer?

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
I have a lesion on my left arm. It is reddish in color and when pressed the red goes away and theres like a freckle underneath in almost a star shape and another smaller freckle right next to it. It is smaller than a pencil eraser, its about 4 mm long and maybe 5 mm tall. It is slightly raised. It doesn't feel hard or irritated. I first noticed it 4 months ago and had my doctor look at it at my physical. I was told to go see a dermatologist if it got bigger or changed at all. In that time It hasn't changed at all, it stays the same size and looks like it did when I found it. Also looking at a pic of myself from last September shows it on my arm, and at that time it looks to be the same size. (I just never noticed it, its on the backside of my arm)

Could it be cancerous? My doctor gave it a good look over and didn't seem very concerned.....
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 6th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
If it doesn't change in size and color, you shouldn't be concern about skin cancer. Probably, some blood vessels are involved in the lesion, because the red color goes away when you 're pressing on.
Can you, please, send a picture of the lesion?
|

replied September 9th, 2007
It hasn't changed in size in the 4 months I have been monitoring it. It still is completely covered with the head of a pencil eraser. The only thing with it is about 3 weeks ago I tried to remove it (I know, bad idea) mainly because the sleeve of my shirt would rub on it and annoy me. So I shaved off the top of it, and it bled but finally scabbed over. Now its healed and it is flatter now but looks similar to before, with some scar on it now, but has not grown bigger.

this is the best pic i could get
|

replied September 9th, 2007
I'd make an appointment with your doctor. It could be a bite. Your doctor will know what it is.
|

User Profile
replied September 10th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I can't see well what it is. It could be some wart. The best idea is to visit a dermatologist. Write to us if you make a check up!
Best wishes!
|

replied November 3rd, 2007
I went to see a skin doctor about my lesion. He looked at it, measured it, looked at it with some special light thing, and told me to come back in 6 months and he would measure it again. He said if there is no change, I'm home free, but he doesn't think it is going to change or get bigger. (BTW he masured it as 5mm) So thats good I guess.
|

User Profile
replied November 8th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
It seems this lesion is nothing to worry about.
As your doctor suggested, you should only practice watchful wait and visit your doctor in six months.
Try to avoid any type of provoking this lesion!
Waiting for your post with new informations!
Take care!
Marija
|

replied December 20th, 2007
Update:

Ive been using a acne wash for my back recently, rubbing it on my back neck and upper arms. So that means it gets rubbed over my lesion. The lesion is still the same size after almost 2 months since my appointment. But I noticed the acne wash is drying it up a little, some of it scabbed and fell off. I'd think that if it was a cancer it would be a bit more resistant to acne wash, that or I have discovered a new treatment for cancer. So I'm just going to keep a watchful eye on it and go back to the doctor in a few more months.
|

User Profile
replied December 26th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I guess you were using acne wash with salicylic acid as a key ingredient.
This substance can have effect on other skin lesions along with acne and in all these cases it's causing the cells of the epidermis (the most upper layer of skin) to slough off more readily, preventing pores from clogging up, and allowing room for new cell growth.
|