Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Amitriptyline (Page 1)

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
I am about to start amitriptyline for my headaches but have heard stories about it making you so sleepy you can't get up. Has anyone here tried it and what were the side effects and positive effects. Thanks very much
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper SoCalPerson
|

replied April 19th, 2004
Re: Amitriptyline
I started taking this about 2 months ago, and I have not had a migraine since, and I used to get them at least twice a week.

My doctor advised me to take the meds before I went to bed, so I wouldn't feel the side effects.
|

User Profile
replied April 19th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Amitriptyline
Pattibon, your Dr. Is right, this is when I take mine.

Sincerely,
sandy
|

replied April 19th, 2004
Amitriptyline
I've been on it for a month now. I take in about 6 pm. I don't feel drowsy, if anything it puts me on a small high.
|

replied July 13th, 2004
Amitriptyline
Yes take at night and also make sure u r on the right dose. To much can make u too sleepy. Personally I don't like this med... Has some bad side affects. But I am glad it works for others.
|

replied September 6th, 2004
Amtrip
I was also put on amtrip for headaches. At first it did make me kind of sleepy, but after 2 weeks, I am getting used to it. My doctor did also tell me to take it at night. My doctor also put me on the amtrip to help my pain level. (back pain) I can't tell that it has helped my back, but the headaches are few and far between now. Good luck, jenn
|

replied September 13th, 2009
I am SO happy that 10 mg has stopped my optic migraines. THRILLED at that. For YEARS I had them and NOTHING worked. This does. So far side effects are minimal...dry mouth not bad though. I think it may help a bit my panic attacks. I'd like to take more but these stories scare me so I don't know.
|

replied January 5th, 2010
Have just started taking amitriptyline for chronic migraines/ neuralgia. It's been about 2 weeks now, and I'm already noticing a marked difference. After suffering in pain for nearly three years, this is a huge breakthrough. Curiously, I did take amitrityline abour 6 years ago for tension headaches, but it didn't have the effect it has now. It does make me a little sleepy when I take it, but as I take it at night, I can live with that. So far, it's life changing - touch wood it continues!
|

replied May 24th, 2010
I just started taking this along with Midrin, its been about 3 days, and im noticing the headaches are easing up. I have had a headache almost every day for this month of May. Today was the first time I noticed relief, I actually woke up with no headache. I havent noticed any side effects yet, but im concerned about weight gain. I am taking phentermine to keep my weight down, (which i know does cause headaches,but I have had them since i have been 12.)

What side affects have you guys noticed? My headaches get me bad when it rains or snows. what about you guys?
|

replied July 22nd, 2013
Hi nykkchick,

My migraines are weather related as well. My doctor prescribed Amitriptyline and it's sitting in my medicine cabinet. I'm really scared to try it due to all the negative side effects, especially the weight gain. I'm not huge but I'm definitely 20lbs over weight and I don't want to gain any more weight. I hate the headaches but I just don't know if I want to try this drug. I tried topamax, and it didn't work. It was awful trying to wean myself off of that. Thanks.
|

replied May 24th, 2010
Re: Amitriptyline
skeb_nz wrote:
I've been on it for a month now. I take in about 6 pm. I don't feel drowsy, if anything it puts me on a small high.

I noticed that too, i get a little high. I wasnt sure if that was from the Midrin or the Amitriptyline lol! Mine headache just snuck back so I have the Midrin for that.

Thanks!
|

replied May 10th, 2011
ive been taking it for the last 9 months. I had extreme back head pains with tension neck. Its been helpin me a lot. I still have some headaches now and then and my neck is still stiff but at least I can be a normal guy most of the time. Side effects only sleeping ness thru the day and extreme hard to wake up in th moerning. Other than that nothin yet.
|

replied November 2nd, 2011
Hi I'm just about to start taking amitriptyline for a headache I have since Feb/March time. I'm a bit unsure about taking them because of the antidepressant in them was on antidepressants years ago and wasnt the nicest person on them. just wondering if anyone has noticed any change in their emotional state with taking these in such a low dose.
|

replied January 3rd, 2012
I have just been given amitriptyline for tension headaches and just realized they are also an anti depressant. There is no way I am taking them, I'm really against anti depressants I took then years ago and for me they just turned me into a space cadet with lots of other horrible side effects and I became dependent on them! Surely there must be another alternative to using an anti psychotic drug to treat tension headaches!?
|

replied February 6th, 2012
Have had 10mg each night since 17/01/12 for headaches - I was waking every morning with a headache. I was taking 2 soluble paracetamol which cleared the headache within a few minutes. I have tried not to take the paracetamol but I cannot cope at work if I do not take them as the morning headache will not clear.
Will I just have to hope one day the amitrpyline will work or am I wasting time still taking the pain killers each day?
|

replied June 1st, 2012
Rebound headaches
Swanlander.
By relying on the soluble paracetamol each day your getting what's called rebound headaches caused by overuse of painkillers. If you google it there will be some helpful information to help your headaches.
Good luck
Mande x
|

replied September 1st, 2012
Amytriptyline and migraine
Hello, I'm interested in hearing all your experiences with amitriptyline. I have just been prescribed 10mg due to getting on average two migraines per month.
I was nervous about starting it due to them being antidepressants but I've decided to go ahead anyway!
One thing I have noticed after the last three days is how tired I'm feeling.....is this normal?!
|

replied November 7th, 2012
amitriptyline used for headaches
yes, its completely normal. I am pretty young and started getting bad headaches when i was 12. I would have at least one headache at some point every. single. day. I got put on this with a small dose and was very hesitant because it is a very strong anti-depressant. For the first few days or so i was completely wack. I was tired, moody and would cry at anything. After about a week I felt completely normal again and although I do still get headaches (every 3 days or so) it got a lot better. I dont know if I will stay on this for a long time but i say its worth a shot.
|

replied February 11th, 2013
I agree, that this is worth a go as it helps most people will headaches..
If you're worried about any potential side effects there is a full list here:

Ideally take your dose of Amitriptyline before you go to bed as others have mentioned. Hope this hekps.
|
Users who thank user590504 for this post: SoCalPerson 

replied March 8th, 2013
As-needed works if preventative treatment makes you drowsy
Hi, I was a migraine-free zombie on Amitriptyline 10 mg. I cut my dose in half and I was still too sleepy. I stopped taking it except when I have a migraine, then I take it as early as 7 PM and I wake up so refreshed. My migraines used to last 3+ days, this is WAY better. My dose is still 5 mg (I use a pill cutter). I also have a hard time sleeping with a migraine, I sleep great with Amitriptyline.

If you don't respond well to daily treatment try using it as-needed, I have been doing this for over 5 years.
|

replied June 16th, 2014
hi just wondering can you take them only when having an attack?as i dont like taking tablets when not in pain.
|

replied March 15th, 2013
About to start taking these.. Any crazy side effects?
|

replied July 5th, 2013
Has anyone had a huge weight gain on Amitriptyline? I'm about to start taking 10mg for the first week for migraines, then 20mg the next week. I just don't want to gain weight. Help.... Thanks
|

replied July 6th, 2013
lilypad3 Amitriptyline for migraines
Has anyone noticed a huge weight gain while taking Amitriptyline? I am going to start to take 10mg for a week then bump it up to 20mg. I don't want to gain a bunch of weight...... Help.
|
12 >>
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Antonio Marotta
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile