Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vascular and Circulatory Disorders Forum

Large Hematoma After Giving Blood.

I have a large bruise\hematoma on the inside of my left forearm which appeared immediately after a blood test this morning. It is situated directly over the large blue vein that runs the length of my arm from wrist to elbow and is about four inches long and one inch wide. The area is much more painful and sore than I've ever experienced from a blood test in the past and while the hematoma does not appear to have increased in size in the last few hours it is still swollen and the area in the centre has lost its bluish "veiny" colour and is turning red. Again, the area is blue, not brown as in the case of normal bruises, and the swollen area is slightly harder than the surrounding area.

Some context: I am an English teacher living in China and I was required to submit to a health examination, including a blood test, this morning. Initially the doctor was unable to find a vein (this has happened everytime I've had blood taken) and I was passed off to another doctor, who decided to take from the large central vein in my arm instead.

I'm wondering if this is something I should be concerned about, or if I should just continue to ice and elevate it and let it resolve itself on its own. The fact of the matter is that I'm hesitant to go to a Chinese hospital to have it looked at for a variety of reasons including the cost and the language barrier. If it's something I can reasonably expect will just fix itself, I'll breathe a little easier.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper quixote23
|

replied October 8th, 2009
swelling after blood test
hey, wont it be a lil' late to respond since yu had it like years ago,, im having the same experience, i have notice this after the day i had a blood test, i am not aware that it has something more than just swelling.. so what happened by the way? how did it heal? i mean is that something serious to look forward to? because i start to freak out reading about hematoma,, i hope you could still advice me after a long time post..
|

replied March 31st, 2010
Mt husband gave blood January 3, 2010. The lady kept pushing the nedle in all the while going through the vein & hitting the nerve. The lump is still there & he has lost some use of his hand. The neurologist says it may come back but could take 6 months.
Went to a ortho because while climbing a ladder (he'
s a carpenter)his left hand went numb & he fell 8-10 ft. Now his right hand is badly damaged. The may have to do surgery. We'll find out this week.
Please go to your primary care doctor & then to a neurologist. Just to make sure. Oh, the ortho told us it make take 1 1/2 years for the hematoma to heal unless that needs surgery also.
FBS will not allow him to give blood again.
|

replied August 27th, 2013
Hematoma-after IV --- still there after 3 months.
I had an iv for a ct scan-the nurse had a horrible time getting the needle in (happens to me all the time) I usually bruise but this time I got a lump about the size of a nickel-ignored it figuring it would go away-my dr. saw it and panicked and sent me to see if it was a blood clot. They said it was a hematoma and could take a long time to go away. I also read that people with sjogrens syndrome can get this too-which makes me worry because I also have dry eyes and dry mouth, but I don't have RA or Lupus. If anyone has any suggestions, email me. Thanks.
|