Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Spleen Forum

Pain Under Lower Left Rib - Chronic Constipation

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
Hello

A number of years ago I injured my left lower abdomen area. (A twisting accident – pulling to the left.) At the time I felt sharp soreness around my left floating rib, accompanied by nausea and hot/cold feelings. (Spleen sensitivity I guess.) After a days rest the hot/cold/nausea symptoms disappeared.

However as soon as I ate a meal I experienced severe pain just to the left of my naval button. This lasted for a few weeks then died away after complete rest from any activity that require me straining to my left side.

Today, I still experienced discomfort when eating, but mostly under the left lower ribs. My main problem now is chronic constipation. This was not present at the time of the injury but has gradually developed into an overwhelming problem. (I have a high fiber diet, and access to excellent laxatives if required, to help, but the condition is worsening.)

The following tests showed northing wrong:

Barium Enema Test
Colonoscopy.
Spine/Ribs x-ray

The following test did pick up one problem:

Abdomen Ultrasound

It detected that my rectus muscle (6-pack) had split down the middle and that the left side was noticeably unsymmetrical.

My physio believes that my ribs are no longer symmetrical and that a floating lower left rib may be pressing on internal organs which could be the cause of digestion problems?

Any thoughts on the matter would be most appreciated. I am planning to have an MRI shortly to confirm the symmetrical ribs question.

Thanks very much..

Peter
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper petem
|

replied October 21st, 2007
Rib Pain Right And Left Side-under the Rib Cage
I am so happy to find this web site to think I'm not alone and completely crazy. I have had this pain started gradual for past 2 years under the rib cages, radiates to the back, sternum is tender, floating ribs are almost untouchable. Some nausea lack of appetite, does not seem to go with foods I eat. All gallbladder testing was normal 2 years ago, endoscopy, spruce, pancreatitis, have repeat CT scan of abdominal and pelvis and more blood tests to see if there are any changes. All of these test have been normal the pain is increasing every week lately, doctor does not seem to have any ideas??? I'm so frustrated and it is getting me depressing, scared and emotional!!
Any new ideas?
|

replied November 29th, 2007
I can not beleive that someone else has the same problem as i do so here is my story..I went to the dr a few weeks ago because my stomach started hurting with just dull pain under my left rib and about 2 inches below. My doctor took an xray and said I was constipated because the xray shoed that i was full of stool, she also said I more than likley had irritable bowel syndrome so she gave me stool softner. WHAT I DONT GET is that every since I was little I have a rib on my left side that always gave me problems i couldnt even go to the tanning bed and lay on my stomach because my rib stuck out and it hurt against the shield so I wander if my left floating rib is causing these problems..WHAT HAPPENED>>DID YOU FIND OUT IF THAT WAS THE CASE???
|

replied June 10th, 2008
Lower left back pain radiating to left front
Confused
I am a 26 year old female. I would consider myself very healthy. I am 5'3" weighing 107lbs. and I have been suffering lower left back pain for a number of years. It starts usually mid day with a dull ache in the lower left side of my back and by the evening is excrutiating pain that radiates from the lower left floating rib to the front. Also by the evening my entire lower left side feels very ballooned and painful to touch. Finally, I also feel at the peak of my pain what feels like the floating ribs are popping in and out of place. Reading others entries is encouraging to know that I am not alone, but also discouraging to know that none of us have found answers. I have spoken with doctors and have been sent home with the diagnosis of chronic back pain and told to have massages, constipation and to take laxatives, and lastly I was sent home and told it was probably anxiety and to start taking Flexeril regularly. I have been taking the Flexeril for a little over 4 months now and have relief while I sleep, but no relief during the day. This does not seem to be getting better and I am becoming very exhausted. Any advice?
|

User Profile
replied April 2nd, 2009
Left side stomach pain/white brain matter
For the last 8 months I have suffered from tremendous upper left stomach pain and constipation. Also numbness and I feel twisting all across upper stomach. Pain does travel at times but seems to always come back to the ujpper left side.

Colonscopy, Endoscopy, blood work are fine. I san a Neurologist and had Brain MRI...it showed White brain matter. My gums are bright red and tongue is red with cracks. I have lost 40lbs in the last few months because I get bloated and am never hungry.

My doctors can't find the problem and I feel like I am going to die...does anyone have any idea what this could be??
|

replied January 16th, 2010
HELP
I have a constant undying pressure under my ribs and it goes to my stomach too i know almost for a fact I have gerd i have lost 10 lbs in the last year cause i cant eat without getting heart burn but heres he weird thing i get gas trapped all in my gut i cant burp cant pass gas and when i urinate my heart beats wildly I have been to the doctor had 4 or 5 ekgs and thy tested my blood for heart damage and took x rays of my heart they say my heart is fine and oh yeah i get really headlight sometimes and my ears ring almost all hours of the day but my blood work was fine:S i cant figure this out i also have the feeling im going to drop dead please help i cant take this anymore ive lived with it for over a year now
|

replied January 17th, 2010
pain under left ribs
I'm having the same problem, pain under bottom left ribs and going into the back area when the kidneys are, been to docs 10 times, had bloods done and ultrasound, they were normal but when i said i wanted a ct scan or mri he said i couldn't have one..? sometimes the pain is sharp and perceing but a lot of the time its a bad dull ache.! been on loads of website and its unbelievable how many people are having the same problem but nobody knows what it is.! no wonder people are turning to heroine.?
|

replied July 19th, 2010
I wonder if thi is the same but I've had problems with constipation since i was a child and always complained on my stomache, among plenty other issues th one bugging me now is the severe pain on the left side under the last ribs. It gets really sharp when gases go through then stays super tender and sharp to the touch. It feels like a war battle strateically planned out. Sharp pains> constipation> feeling of severe diarhea (but thats the mind trick) This is enacted in waves/ breathers.

I've studied myself a lot and can track the gas/stool(?) moving through different parts of the stomache and just by that i can tell how much longer i have to endure. But seriously...WHAT IS THISSSSSS? I know this triggers withing 15 minutes of eating anything mildly spicy (which i dont anymore) and triggers instantly with stress (which there is plenty of nonstop in my house)

All of you reading this with this problem: I know its tough and makes you feel like yourbody is killing itself from the inside but hold on and remember to breathe and stay calm and have patience... and laxatives... <~< .

Someone please help us?????
|

replied July 19th, 2010
I had a CT scan a couple months ago and they found i had diverticular disease... look it up and see if the symptoms are the same as i think its that thats been causing the pain with me..??
|

replied May 9th, 2012
I have experienced the same symptoms as well for quite some time. I notice it is very uncomfortable immediately before a BM .
I believe I had the same symptoms as a young child. I was beginning to think I had an undiagnosed injury to my ribs.
I find it extremely uncomfortable as well when getting a massage . Laying on my stomach and the pressure from front to back has been incredibly jolting.
I was beginning to think I had a piece of rib attached to my spleen.
It's always good to know that others can describe this to a tee!
I'm not crazy after all!
|

replied June 4th, 2012
I have been having back pain and see a chiropractor for it. I have floating rib pain mostly on the left hand side that radiates the my left side towards my "love handles." When I have my adjustments the chiropractor pushes on a part of my spine and doesn't have to push hard and its painful. Once he adjusts it (cracks it) and uses this metal tool to adjust the outer part of the ribs it feels better. He believes it because I work at a desk for 8hrs, 5 days a week and I don't have good posture so it somehow puts pressure on the rib. But I wake up in the morning with back pain and I sleep on my side and toss and turn all night long. Who knows if it will ever be fixed permanently.
|

replied November 15th, 2012
hello,.im a 23 years old male, 2years before i had this dull pain under my lower left rib cage when i drink pinapple juice or alchohols and faty foods, two years ago i had a endoscopy and my stomach is normal, but still the pain is present,the dr said that its only because of the gas because of my galblader polyps, but on september 8 2012, my constipation and irritable bowel movement stars,doctor gave gasmotin for 15days,relief me for a while,and when i go back to the dr. he gave me again a ceecon advence vitamin and omx probiotic capgel for 1motnth,and somehow reliev my constipation,but the ibs is still their,so derpressing,im only eating no veges and cereals, and decrease my apitie, now im loosing weight,and feel weak, and i think i had this lump under the anus and pain when straining and pro long sitting on the toilet,please help me give some ideas or comment,to enlighten me,so stress,i think i lost 5 or 6kg in just 2 1/2 months,hoping for your concerns,thank u., godbless
|