Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Swollen lymph nodes + aching joints + rash

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
I am wondering what these symptoms could be. It started on July 20th and has continued to present. Swollen lymph nodes and aching joints at first, then a rash on inside of legs and arms, then swelling of joints(could barely walk at first), face, and other areas of the body. Very fatigued, nauseated at times. Hot flushing all over body. Short of breath. General achiness throughout body. Rash went away and then came back a couple weeks later and then went away again. Anxiety and depression seems worse. Sore breasts at times. I can't wear my rings because fingers are so swollen and sometimes my bra feels so tight I can't wear it. Blood test shows that I am lactating which I should not be because I am not pregnant nor have been recently. Blood tests are all good except for white cell count being low. My sister has had all the same symptoms and for approximately the same amount of time. Lymph nodes have went back to normal but rash and all other symptoms come and go. Help

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper skeptical
|

User Profile
replied October 19th, 2007
General Q and A Answer A3316
You wrote:

"Current medical status: Full medical examination,ful blood tests, on examination had swollen lymph nodes, rash, NO fever everything else fine. Blood tests were good except white cell count was low.

Current medical treatment: was given doxycycline at first for potential lyme disease, then developed a rash which dr. thought was allergic reaction to doxycycline. Then I was given prednisone and a antihistamine. It ended up not being lyme disease when the blood test came back and my sister has the same symptoms of rash, swollen joints, swelling, tired muscles, aching all over. I don't believe I had an allergic reaction either. I am currently waiting for a West Nile test to come back."

Swollen lymph nodes combined with a rash, swollen joints and muscle pain could indicate some type of infection but may very hard to identify. Some viral infections (rubella) can cause low white blood count, rash and swollen lymph nodes.

You should examine the kidney status to exclude or confirm some kidney failure as a reason for the finger swelling. Sedimentation rate if the blood is also very valuable.

Furthermore, anxiety and depression are not connected with any infection. They are connected with other issues but not with infections.

Finally, if the level of the hormone prolactin is increased and you are not pregnant or breastfeeding, you should examine your pituitary gland (all pituitary gland hormones and CT-scan of the head). In any case, you can consult a GP and endocrinologist about these matters.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.