Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Sore breasts with leaking fluid : colostrum or infection ?

Must Read
Flu basics - what is the flu? Get started here to learn how to protect yourself....
Who is at risk of developing flu related complications? Can people die from the flu? More on risk factors here....
We answer your questions on flu symptoms here. How are cold and flu symptoms different? When should you seek medical help for flu? Plus more....
User Profile
okay im 17, and i have a 16 month old daughter.
i never breatfed..
but for the past few days my breasts have been sore, and when i massaged them b.c they hurt it seemed comlostrum.. the stuff that develop in ur breats after u become pregnant, came out.
adults have told me its normal.
i havnt missed my period yet that i know of..
is this normal 16 months after u hava child or is the only answer pregnancy?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 28th, 2007
Sexual Health - Women Answer A3290
Sore breasts experiencing leakage from the nipples 16 months after delivery could be due to an infection or hormonal imbalance (excessive prolactin, for example) but it is very important that the breasts are examined (inspection and palpation) by your GP or your gynecologist. Further diagnostic procedures (mammography, ultrasound, hormonal analyses) can be done if necessary. You are probably not pregnant if you haven’t missed your period yet but you may take a pregnancy test to be sure.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexual Health - Women , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.