Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Vestibular Migraines Vs Meniere's Disease

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
My doctor originally told me that I had Meniere's Disease. Yesterday he said that he thinks it may be Vestibular? Migraines. I have constant ringing and pressure in my ears. 24/7. A couple of times a day I will feel dizzy although I do not have "attacks" that put me in bed, etc. No vertigo. A little nausea from time to time. My hearing exam came out normal but I've only had symptoms for six months now. I do suffer from migraines from time to time (for the last 12 years) and have little headaches every day. The doctor said that I can have symptoms of a migraine without the pain. After thinking about it later, does this mean that I am having a migraine 24/7? That seems odd to me. He wants to put me on Pamelor. Is that a good drug or is Vivactil better? Help!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper moonlight345
|

replied August 30th, 2008
Hello,

I have bilateral perilymph fistula's. That means that both my inner ears are ruptured. When both vestibular systems (left and right) are damaged you generally won't have spinning (vertigo) because the vestibular system is equally effected (negatively). Nausea is generally increased with increased motion. Try to find a good ENT to refer you for balance and vestibular testing to analyze your symptoms so a decent diagnosis can be made. From there you can decide if you need to see a Neuro-Othologist who specializes in vestibular disorders and can provide a more accurate diagnosis.

I have what's called "Daily Persistent Headaches." This began with the onset of my fistula's. Look up "Daily Persistent Headaches" and see if that defines your headaches.

X
|

User Profile
replied August 30th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Original post was on 08.30.2007 so I am uncertain if salonowner will get your response however daily presistent headaches seems like something I need to check into...(not for me Smile)
|

replied April 18th, 2009
salonowner,

I hope you have found some relief by now. I suffered from the same symptoms you had (24/7), and both migraines and meniere's run in my family. I have found the best relief from acting like I have both. I use a combination of migraine preventive med's and a low sodium diet. Also avoid all foods or spices with added MSG. (Check labels. It's in Dorito's, flavor-blasted Goldfish, ranch dressing ...so many things!)

One caution. Motion sickness sets off my worst migraine/meniere's attacks. It took me 2 months to recover from an ENG test I had (trying to diagnose Meniere's). The results were negative but my symptoms were not!! Most people consider motion sickness and motion sensitivity tests to be benign and almost comical. But if it overloads your brain like it does mine, it's no laughing matter. I don't want to dissuade anyone from getting needed testing, but just have them do all the other tests first!

Just my 2 cents...
|

replied January 22nd, 2010
I have vestibular migraines and have the exact symptoms you do. Took forever to get a diagnosis. I was dizzy every day, all day long almost. I am on calcium channel blockers which help tremendously, and then if/when i get an acute attack i can take an imitrex to abort the attack, which rarely includes a headache. If i ever have a headache it is at a different time of the dizziness which is another common thing with this type of migraine. Good luck and God Bless, it's rough. After being in and out of the hospital and not working i was so discouraged. Now, with the meds ( which have very little side effects ) and avoiding food triggers i am well again.
|

replied October 6th, 2010
I have meniere's and migraines, thankfully I have a good otologist and neurologist that worked together. If you research foods to avoid migraines, a migraine diet and the same for foods to avoid for meniers, they are about the same. I really noticed a difference with a low sodium diet, no caffeine and no alcohol. I stay away from nitrites and nitrates, and MSG for sure. I basically have an all natural diet. Meds have helped for sure. Some doctors like to prescribe a diuretic and valium, while others say take 800 mg of ibuprofen, and others say a medicine with aspirin and caffeine together. Weather can be a trigger to, or I found going on a plane too; I have to take a motion sickness pill and valium to make it through. An all natural diet helps so much and not missing meals. I only occasionally eat out. It too took me weeks to recover from an ENG.
|

replied March 2nd, 2011
I got vertigo and off-balance attacks as I reduced my Effexor dose a few years ago. Around the same time, I also developed fullness in my right ear and low frequency hearing loss. Many months after being Effexor-free, my hearing returned, but my migraines morphed into having vertigo. Last fall, I started reducing my Wellbutrin and also was on the birth control pill and gradually increasing salt intake to help low blood pressure/fatigue. I got the worst episode of vertigo, vomiting, off balance that I've had. Now I've got the fullness/tinnitus/hearing loss again, with the added bonus of more frequent vertigo and actual off-balance. Migraines? Menieres? Meds? All of the above? Tumor? MS? I'll be asking for an ENT and/or Neurology referral soon.
|

replied August 7th, 2012
Effexor and Meniere's Disease
Read your post with great interest. I also came off Effexor recently and developed 'withdrawal symptoms' which included ringing in the ear and a kind of light headedness. This always happened to me even if I missed taking the Effexor, even for one night. It's now been some 6 weeks since I stopped taking the Effexor and still the ringing. I also have experienced dizziness from time to time. I've had no formal diagnosis of MD, but will get this checked out, but was also wondering if I am afflicted, what role Effexor played in keeping it under control.
|

replied March 3rd, 2011
Hi 2netta,
No orthodontics, no missing teeth. Had a sideways impact car accident about 20 years ago. After my first bout of hearing loss, an MRI was normal. I'm getting more convinced that I've got a combination of Meniere's and migraines.
|