Medical Questions > Abortion > Medical Abortion Forum

Info on abortion procedures please!

Must Read
A D&C is a standard procedure. But it can be scary when you don't know what to expect. Learn about what happens during dilation and curettage to prepare yoursel...
Dilation and curettage, or D & C for short, is a procedure that is used to diagnose and treat a number of womens health conditions. What are some goals of a D a...
A D&C usually is free of problems, and the recovery period for the procedure is short. But knowing about possible complications can help you detect problems ea...
How badly did the abortion hurt?
Unbearably
Horribly
A little pain (incl. cramping after), but mostly emotional stress
Barely felt anything but cramping
Didn't feel anything at all
14%  14%  [ 1 ]
42%  42%  [ 3 ]
28%  28%  [ 2 ]
14%  14%  [ 1 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7
Well, first, a little background. I'm 19, have been with my boyfriend for 3 years, and just found out I'm pregnant.

I found out 4 days ago, have a good idea that I'm around 6-8 weeks along (because that's when the boyfriend and I decided we would quit having sex and did.

First of all I do not need anyone trying to pressure me to have a baby. I am 100% certain that I am not. My abortion is scheduled for next Tuesday (5 days away).

My problem is that I am absolutely terrified. I have never had surgery before, and for my own sake have to prepare myself for the worst. I may be able to have a medical abortion, but most likely will have to have a surgical abortion (or am at least preparing for that).

I was just wondering if anyone here has had a surgical abortion, or an abortion at all for that matter. I am scared and would really like to be able to talk to someone that has experience with this situation. I have looked all over websites and forums and haven't really found any information about the actual physical pain an abortion induces. Especially a surgical abortion.

I really appreciate the help, as I feel very sick to my stomach about the situation (and, no, it's not morning sickness).
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 30th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
We have many women on here who have had surgical abortions and I know all of them would recommend it over a medicinal one! I don't think many of them had severe pain, if any of them.
|

I just realized there was a post on this a few days ago. Sorry bout that. Smile

Well, I had a friend that had a medical abortion and I called her to talk about it. She is now pregnant, and instead of helping me she begged and pleaded for me to keep the baby. I am not financially well enough to raise a baby, nor am I emotionally stable. I believe she just wanted someone to go through pregnancy with her.

Well, from what I've read surgical abortion has a higher success rate, even if it is just a few percent. I guess it would be nice to know what it's like compared to menstrual cramps. I have always had ovarian cysts too, so if it compares to that in some way that would be nice to know.

All the description of surgical abortion I've read sounds quite painful. Talking about stretching and such. It would be really nice for me to know how big around that vacuum is as odd as that sounds. Because (and I try to say this discreetly, but tightness has always been an issue for me).

I appreciate the response...I haven't been able to talk to anyone about this at all.
|

Especially eHealthy
If you regularly have severe or strongly moderate cramps, then I believe the pain is equivalent, but that's if you have no sedation at all.

What is suggested is what's called IV sedation.
|

Extremely eHealthy
I do not know if you know this..

You can be asleep or have IV sedation for an abortion, just like with any other surgery, and it would be painless.

NOT ALL clinics offer painless abortions/IV ANESTHESIA, but most do, so sometimes you have to call around and ask.
|

Extremely eHealthy
The vacuum is a bit larger than a drinking straw, of sorts.

I work in an abrotion clinic.

The vacuum is not very big at all.

Here is a short listing of clincis in Indiana...You can find out which ones offer IV sedation.
|

replied June 27th, 2011
When u get the iv sedation do u feel any pain during the procedure?
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I wish I could give you more info on the experience, but i am just here to tell you that you will not be judged in this place for having an abortion. I will support your decision and be here afterward to answer any questions you might have later. It must seem a little scary to you right now, but many women have been through exactly what you are going through, and it sounds like you have done a lot of soul searching to reach the decision you have come to. I wish you the best for a speedy recovery. I am sending positive energy your way.
|

Well, I don't know how anyone feels about planned parenthood, but I've read some pretty lousy things about it. If they're horrible about it I don't really want to know it will just make me more nervous. And I'm sure it varies a lot from clinic to clinic.

However, I don't think they offer IV sedation, just a GA, but I think I'll just refuse the GA because I've heard it doesn't do much good.

I've always had VERY heavy cramping due to ovarian cysts. And cramping pretty much doesn't bother me anymore.
|

Experienced User
I'll describe my experience with you

I had a surgical abortion at 7 weeks along, and was given general anesthesia administered intravenously.

I had no horrible adverse effects to the anesthesia and woke up fairly quickly from it (I woke up as they were wheeling me into the recovery room). They put me to sleep before I had the procedure done. When I woke up I felt the kind of cramping I suppose you would associate with menstrual cramps (I rarely cramped during my periods, so these were a little stronger than what I have ever felt, but definately not unbearable). I bled very little, and in fact, pretty much after I left the clinic I did not bleed at all. The cramping went away basically after I was able to stand.

The only thing that happened with the anesthesia was that my arm reacted to it, the nurse monitoring me checked it when I asked her why my arm had become blotchy and she told me that occasionally the medication will flow from the site and pool underneath the skin Shocked, and she said it might swell and get redder but should go away in a few days, and to just keep my arm elevated. This sucked cuz I had to wear long sleeved shirts to hide the redness and swelling from my parents. My mom is a nurse so she would have recognized it for what it was Confused. It eventually turned into a huge bruise that covered most of my upper arm, but went away completely after 5 days.

I suppose I was one of the lucky ones, when it comes to pain and recovery, because I had virtually no pain and recovered almost at once, except for my arm.

hope this helped.
|

replied August 31st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
GENERAL ANESTHESIA Knocks you OUT.

It is the same thing they give for 'regular operations'. It would be painless.

It is the LOCAL anesthesia that does not do much, because you are awake!

Here are clinics you can choose form, not necessarily planned parenthood.

http://www.gynpages.com
|

Extremely eHealthy
INdiana has abortion clinics to choose from, just go to that site =)
|

Extremely eHealthy
How are you?

I had a surgical abortion under general anaesthetic so obviously I couldn't feel anything during it. Afterwards I had some cramping but no more than mild period pains if I'm honest
|