Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lungs and Respiratory Disorders Forum

Please Help : Upper Left Abdominal/lung Pain

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
Hello everyone,

I am a 26 year old healthy individual. When I say healthy, I mean that I do not get sick a lot and when there is something wrong, I usually shrug it off and wait for it to go away. However, I'm in a lot of pain and have no answers. On Saturday evening, I was watching a movie with my husband and laying on my left side when I began having a pain like a stitch in my side from jogging. Not thinking much of it, I went on with my evening and went to bed uncomfortable, but thinking it would be gone by the early morning. Sunday came around and it still wasn't any better and by the evening it had grown worse. Monday came and I had absolutely NO energy, so I slept all day long (completely not normal) and finally around 4 p.m. I called my Mother in Law and had her take me to the ER. They ran multiple tests: 2 view chest x-ray, my blood (looking for the clotting factor), and an EKG. Everything turned out normal. No pulmonary problems, my lungs and EKG looked perfect. They discharged me and told me to take care of my pain with 800 IBPruofins and 2 tylenol every 4-6 hours. This doesn't help. I called my primary and he wants to see me in 1 week to see if it doesn't clear up on its own.
I feel like no one is listening to me, I HURT. It hurts to breathe in and radiates into my left shoulder and down my arm, so I take short and shallow breaths. I use a heating pad under my left breast and abdomen area, and can only lay on my right hand side to sleep through the night. I have never felt so miserable, exhausted, and so neglected in my life. I find myself breaking down and crying because I am at a loss for what is wrong with me and my doctors have no explanations.

Please, if you know anything or anyone with the same thing going on, message me. I would greatly appreciate any insight as to what this is.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 29th, 2007
Lung Pain
sorry you are having so much pain. Did the dr's check for pleurisy. I have had it 3 times and it is very painful and it hurts when you breathe in and it can radiate. It is very hard to diagnose from what I have been told. Usually they give you high doses of motrin or anti inflammatory medicines. I have been hospitalized with it because the anti inflammatory caused vomiting. Hope you feel better and hope this helps.
|

User Profile
replied August 30th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I agree with the bove poster. It could be pleurisy. You could also have a rib dysfunction. An osteopathic physician could help with this, or possibly a chiro (although I am careful to coose chiro care).
|

replied December 10th, 2007
Don't cry, it happens to me too. I've decided that researching your own issues online is important to take to your doctor to see if you can help them think of something to help you. I know that sounds bad, but there are so many things wrong with me that my doctor looks at me funny about. One is that when i breathe in at times, I hurts and it goes into my left shoulder such as yourself. Like you am scared to think of what it could be without a doctor helping me understand it. I"ve learned that our own research could help. Pleurisy is definitely a possible cause. Lets check it out and find out what we can come up with. Hope you get better.
|