Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Hiatal Hernia- Severe Pain & Pressure (Page 1)

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia in 2002. I'm only 24 yr old & have always been underweight for my height. I have been having alot of burning pain/nausea for years. It radiates above my stomach & between my ribs. Within the last year i have been experiencing severe pain & pressure in my stomach that comes & goes. I havent had an appetite for a couple days so i haven't ate much. Yesterday i had the worst pain yet. My stomach started cramping really bad with sharp pains.. Hurt so bad i could barely walk. When i laid down i had so much pressure pushing up that i had shortness of breath (which scared the daylights outta me!). I took a nexium & a zantac & about 2 hours later the pressure was relieved but still had excruciating pain in my stomach & between my ribs. Then all of a sudden i got the chills really bad & started shaking all over & had a fever (which is not normal.. usually run a temp of around 96.4) I took Tylenol & fever came down within the next hour. I started to go to the emergency room, decided to wait it out. Today i woke up with really bad nausea & the same stomach pain. Is this normal for a hiatal hernia or should i see a doctor? I appreciate you for listening to my long post!! Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper sla41mm
|

replied August 13th, 2008
I go to a chiropractor and he manually pulls my stomach down. The first time he did it.....instantly I could breath again! So much pressure and pain was relieved. He says that eventually it will heal as long as we keep the stomach where it belongs.
|

replied July 12th, 2013
I would like to know more info about the way you can manually pull your stomach down. That would probably help us all if we are in a position where we are hurting and can't get relief, especially at a family function, at work or in the public in general. I mean, if we tried this strategy and we do it wrong or we don't actually have a hernia...what harm could it cause?
|

replied August 14th, 2008
You should see a gastroenterologist and have an endoscopy to see what's going on.
|

replied August 14th, 2008
I had an endoscopy and that is how they found my hiatal hernia
|

replied August 24th, 2008
Hi there...i also have a hiatal hernia and have been trying to figure out if pains in my abdomen/stomach area are in any relation to the hernia. My pain is located right around my hernia, but seems like i can almost touch it. If i am to follow my left rib cage down, starting at my sternum...it's about 3 or four inches down. Veery weird sensations that probably get worse as i worry about the discomfort. I have always has a difficult time with my indigestion, and wonder if maybe something else is starting to go wrong in there. Who knows. But i can definitely pin point the area. I am going to meet with a gastroenterologist as soon as my insurance kicks in, but until then i would like to know if any one else can relate, and if so, were you treated? Thanks a bunch.
|

replied August 24th, 2008
Hi Ischoonover- I can relate! I have no idea what it is and I've HAD an endoscopy. He says my stomach is perfectly fine, smooth, just a small hiatal hernia that he cannot relate to my discomfort. I don't always have it, but sometimes it's under my ribcage (and it's not gas folks), and some times it's as you say, 3-4 inches right below where I'm supposing the end of my esophagus is. Is your related to any food - does it stop when you don't eat or happen when you do eat? Have you had an endoscopy? I've just been living with my discomfort. I stopped drinking coffee a week ago and I had a cup today and the caffeine hit me like a ton of bricks. He put me on Protonix a week ago and things have gotten better.
|

User Profile
replied August 21st, 2009
That's the phenoesophageal ligament you're speaking of. It anchors things in place. When that weakens --you have yourself a hernia

A hernia itself cannot be infected and inflamed . It's a weakness in the diaphram where part of the stomach and esophagus slide up into the chest. It doesn't stay in the chest , a sliding hernia slides up and back down. Your stomach and esophagus may be inflamed however. If you really had an infection you'd be given antibiotics.

Many people have hernias but don't have any symptoms. -- in fact they don't even know they have a hernia. A hernia itself doesn't really cause symptoms. In some people , a hernia contributes to GERD---by affecting the Lower Esophageal Sphincter and allowing abnormal acid exposure to the esophagus --- and it's the acid that causes heartburn and other symptoms.

Sometimes GERD can affect your breathing by allowing acid in your breathing tubes. A hernia itself can't cause breathing problems--- well a hiatal hernia can affect breathing only if it's a really really big one. If you have a lot of gas, that can affect breathing too. Or you may have a seperate problem. It's good you're getting additional tests for your breathing.

I have a hiatal hernia. i took acid reducing medication (Prevacid, Zantaz, Protonics) forever until I learned about the "diaphragm shifting technique"...However I do for free at home and don't need a chiropractor... Now I never have it don't need medications and all is good!

Biopsies of the esophagus are taken at endoscopy to check for esophagitis ( esophageal inflamation) , Barretts esophagus , and biopsies of the stomach are taken to check for h pylori bacteria etc. It is routine. Most people are biopsied , i was.

It was good that I was biosied to realize I had a Hiatal Hernia and then I found out how to cure it naturally for free using the diaphragm shifting technique.
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied August 12th, 2012
Hello,I have tried to pay throu you blog not success could you contact me i have interesting in diaphragm shifting technique thanks
|

replied August 21st, 2009
That sounds pretty severe - you should have gone to the emergency room. See your gastroenterologist as soon as possible.
|

replied December 27th, 2009
Sliding Hitial Hernia
What treatment is available for a sliding Hitial Hernia other than a operation. I keep getting the chest pain attacks associated with the hitial hernia. I don't have a heart problem. They rules that out. My first symptom before an attack is a sharp "pinch" near the upper stomach. About 20 minutes later terrible chest pain within the esophagus. If I eat something real fast, this pain occationally goes away. More often than not, it doesn't. Need some quick solutions for a temporary fix. Going to Europe next month and REALLY dont want one of these attacks over there
|

replied October 5th, 2011
breathing problems/hernia
I to have 2-hernia's and they are effecting my breathing. I'm a diabetic on high amounts of insulin,that to can effect my breathing. They have run tests on my breathing and the results show that I can not get a full breath of air into my lungs,even though my oxygen levels are high,in the 90's. I've had tests on my heart and that's fine. They have started treating me for asthma and the breathing treatment's and inhalers are somewhat what helpful, but not always. Always tired and every time I bend over even to tie my shoes I have breathing problems. I can just be lying back at my chair and start to breath heavy gasping for air. I breath very shallow and find I have to sleep in a lounge chair or a beach chair to get any sleep. I'm on blood pressure medicine and take a acid reflux medicine. They're planning to test for Lou G. disease. For what it is worth,I believe that the hernia, which is as big as a football is pushing against my diaphragm causing me not to be able to breath regularly. There's also a case of severe constipation to boot.You should have known me when I was healthy,never missed a day from work in my life. Now, I feel very old and tried and just plain miserable almost all the time. Guess you'll just have to take me out to the pasture and shoot me. Thanks for letting me get this off of my chest. Thanks SP
|

replied July 4th, 2012
awe dear i can certainly relate! while mine isnt that big..its causing me to barely be able to sit up because i cant breathe. my heart goes crazy. and the pain causes me to go in and out of consciousness, while puking yay! mind you...ive been a professional dancer for 20yrs so this really has put a damper on my lifestyle, and mood.
|

replied August 29th, 2013
Constipation: Miralax was prescribed by a gastroenterologist. I don't think you need a prescription any longer.

Pressure on the esophagus sends a message to the brain
which sends a message to the lungs and they spasm up.
I use Xopenex HFA inhaler. It is the *only* inhaler
which has ever worked for me.
|

replied December 31st, 2011
Hiatal Hernia
Wow! I guess I am glad that I found this website ? I am so fed up with my hernia....tonight was terrible. If I eat it seems to create more issues in terms of discomfort. My hernia has been with me for a long time. The pain and gas problems do not occur frequently but when they do, I really think about the worst-a trip to the ER for heart problems but I wait it out and it gradually gets better. I know that I create alot of the problems by the habits I have and need to re-evalute these habits. Now is a good time to do so. Happy New Year and thanks for letting me vent!
|

replied January 16th, 2012
My Husband has a Hiatal Hernia that incapacitates him severely. It took a long time and many emergency bills to pay to find out what it was. They always sent him home saying it was "Gas". Finally a friend recommended him to a certain doctor who immediately knew it was a Hiatal Hernia. Nexium and a Low Fat Diet seemed to do the trick. However, 2 years later he is going through the the same incapacitating pain that he had before...that's why I'm on this site, trying to find immediate relief until he gets back to the doctor....but truly, I believe a Low-Fat Diet is a big key to the healing process of course along with medication to help the digestion system.
|

replied May 15th, 2012
i have just had 12 hours of very acute pain, around the lower part of my rib cage, and just below. I have been diagnosed with a Hiatal Hernia, i take daily acid reducing drugs, i have taken these for around 3 years, which provide me with relief on the whole. I totally agree with mama393 a low fat diet and reducing alcohol in take also assists the healing process. If you suffer from these same problems i am yet to find an easy fix, a healthier lifestyle though should go a long way to provide you with the relief which you are searching for.
|

replied July 4th, 2012
Okay so mine has been somewhat different. I have not been able to eat solid foods all year (7months now). It often hurts immediately when the food goes down. IF i can get something solid down, after a few days i start getting an *attack*. my stomach will hurt from my sternum along my left rib and then over to my bellybutton. The pain is so bad that i cant touch my stomach, breathe, move....i have projectile vomitting that lasts for hours...go in and out of conscious and lose feeling in both hands. Each attack seems to be worse and last longer. The doctors forever didnt know what it was and took out my gb which made things worse instantly. The flouroscopy showed my stomach in my diaphragm, but i was told it may not be from a hernia. What else would cause this? Its gone on for ONE year now...and also because of the constant pressure on my diaphragm ive had HORRIFIC heart arrhythmia's..so bad i had to have a treadmill test ordered which showed my heart was fine...all coming from my belly! Nobody else ive read about has had such severe problems with theirs.
|

replied July 4th, 2012
My hh seemed to get worse after i had my gallbladder out I think when they pressurized me to do laproscopic surgery it pushed it up I to share the worst of the worst symptoms about a month ago I was unable to even go to work the chest pressure and bloating are unreal I did and bloating before my surgery I never showed any symptoms of hiatal hernia I didn't even have reflux I'm going to try to have the surgery done this month.the vagus nerves that gets irritated really raise hell with your brain it's what triggers anxiety and the dizziness that is sometimes asociated with it. I would appreciate any advice on having the surgery done. 1 more question is the surgery for gerd and hiatal hernia the same
|

replied July 4th, 2012
I forgot to mention I'm only 28 just had my gallbladder out this april I'm not obese I've always been extremely healthy and active I do have a couple bad habits I smoke cigarettes and drink beer ... I just don't understand how this hiatal hernia come up out of nowhere so fast.. has this happened to anyone else?
|

replied August 10th, 2012
Hiatal Hernia
I just found out 3 weeks ago after having a endoscopy (to check if I still had the H Pylori,) that I also have a HH after months of bad gas, even in the back, bloating chest pains,heart palps,etc, etc, all of the above it is a painful and scary feeling I hate it I also lost weight because of being afraid to eat certain things. I was also told to eat small meals 5 times a day, do the high fiber low fat diet, I don't need to lose anymore weight.... but do know what food's to stay away from on the list of AVOID EATING take prilosec, chewable papaya vitamins 2 to 3 after meals,hoping it won't get worse feels like it came out of no where Good Luck to all I know how you feel
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied September 25th, 2012
Oh my God .... I am very sorry! You need to see a doctor! Health condition not to be trifled with...
Perhaps you have this problem arose from unhealthy food...
It my help you with something ...
Good luck!)
|

replied December 10th, 2012
Hiatal Hernia?
Boy, am I GLAD I found this site...
I've been having some real issues with chest pain and shortness of breath myself the last couple of months..have been seeing a Cardio for a couple of years, and after MORE tests and ANOTHER cardio opinion, have been told my heart is FINE, my lungs are FINE, my arteries are PRISTINE (drs. exact words), I STILL have NO idea why this is happening... I have one big difference in symptoms from these other posts, however -two months ago while on a flight back to ATL from Vegas, I suffered one of these "attacks" - thought I was going into Afib or something, and it was the first time I had real shortness of breath-also noticed that my legs and feet were swollen. 4 days later, I still had the symptoms, and went to ER, where they checked heart and everything was "FINE." (again) We went to the mountains last week, and while there, AGAIN the altitude got to me, the chest pressure was worse, and my lips were turning blue... well - I was diagnosed with Celiac disease over 8 years ago, and have had heartburn and reflux off and on... this is starting to raise a new flag for me... I will definitely be bringing up this possibility to my internal medicine professional, and probably return to my gastro. Thanks!!
|

replied February 21st, 2013
I have suffered with a hernia for almost 6 yrs no but the past few months Ive waken up in brutal pain and nausia and vomiting EVERY morning! Ive been to the dotor 4 times and they say its stress and has givin me all these anti acid pills none work!! anyadvice on who or what can help me I cant live like this!!
|
12 >>