Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Shoulder Instability caused by hyperflexibility ?

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
Hello,

Is it possible that shoulder instability can be caused by hyperflexibility?

I have had problems with my right shoulder for the last 4 years (i'm 20) and have recently had it stabilised. But since then my left shoulder has started becoming more and more unstable. I've heard my physio's mention hyperflexibility being a cause of my injury - even though I actually fell down a flight of stairs.

Can anyone help? Any help would be greatly appreciated Smile
Mel
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 29th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Yes.

In fact, hyper flexibility can cause many kinds of injuries. To be safe, you've got to strengthen and tone muscles around a joint. Flexible muscles give way during moments of extreme stress, and facilitate damage to the ligaments and tendons and cartilage inside a joint. Ask your PT and see what s/he says.
|

replied August 31st, 2007
Hello Smile

Thanks for your replies Smile

I have spoken to my physio's about all this and didn't get much out of them so I'm going to ask my surgeon Smile. But they said my left shoulder wasn't dislocating but maybe just subluxating due to overuse.

I am currently having 2 hours of physio a week, but can't do much yet!

I'll update again soon. Thanks Smile
Mel
|

User Profile
replied September 13th, 2007
Are you in much pain? How much rest are you getting? Why do the physio's say, "OVERUSE"?
|

replied September 13th, 2007
It's not as bad as it was I give it that, but then again it couldn't have been much worse! I'm not resting very well no, sleeping is very arkward, and my parents don't help me in the slightest so my left shoulder is having to compensate for the lack of movement in my right arm causing it to slip out slightly and hurt like crazy.
|

User Profile
replied September 14th, 2007
If you're still at home, are you still a student? What kind of physical activity do you do in the day?
|

replied May 29th, 2009
Hyperflexability
I can dislocate both my right and left shoulder's. Example i can be handcuffed behind my back and bring my arms over my head back down to my waist and basically slide the cuffs over my hands! I found out I was hyperflexiable at a very young age. I am now 28 and feel the effects of my wanting to show people my abilities. When I was 16 a doctor recommended surgery on both of my shoulders I declined and went to physical therapy instead. But now that im older i feel the effects on all my joints head 2 toe. All my joints hyper extend. Pain killers and exercise are the only thing that help. Should i have had the surgery to possibly correct My shoulders? The doctor told me it would only make it harder for my to seperate my shoulders. All of my joints at one point or another cause me pain. I have had alot of physical jobs! That probably doesnt help.
|

replied May 29th, 2009
Community Volunteer
I can see why you are in a lot of pain...I wonder if you are already showing signs of arthritis setting in...Can you still have any surgery to help?...If it won't help you then why do it?...I question therapy and exercise as this is just, IMO, wearing the joints down...I am not a doctor or have no medical knowledge...I am just speaking of myself and what I have had without the needed parts on my body such as my knee caps...

If you care to you can Ask the Doctor at the top of the page.......

Good luck...

Caroline
|

replied August 13th, 2009
shoulder tendonitis
I've got hyperflexible joints as well.. To be honest I thought my range of movements were "normal" until I injured my left knee 4 years back (when i was 14-15. not i'm 19) and the doctor and physio told me i was hyperflexible. I had surgery on my left knee.. a few months later i started getting pain in my right knee. now i'm used to pain in both knees when i over exert myself. I'm extremely sporty.. love sports to death!
But anyway 2 years back while playing badminton i felt my right shoulder dislocate for a fraction of a second during an overhead shot. shoulder hurt for the rest of the session. one thing i regret now is that i continued playing once every week.. it started happening everytime i played and eventually more than once every session and my range of shots got limited. i couldn't hit overhead shots that easily, especially if i had to reach for the shuttle over my head towards the left side, with the right hand, and hit hard.
i continued that for about 7-8 months.. i somehow managed to do so. it got so bad that i stopped using my shoulder eventually. saw the doc - said it was because of hyperflexibility that my joint was not stable and i developed tendonitis. needed to stablise joint. i started physio - went okay for a while but then i kept getting set backs in a way that it only took one stupid movement for my shoulder to click/dislocated and i was back to square one.
now my other shoulder's started hurting as well. I've moved house so i've got to get back in the queue to see the doc and physio. although i'm doing certain exercises with bands and swimming and very light weights.
since this thing has gone on for 2 years now i'm worried it might become permanent.
also what i'm thinking is, since i've virtually had tendonitis in my right shoulder for 2 years do you think i can still fix it? if so how? resting doesn't help anymore. i rest for months and it's the same. strengthening i know takes time and i'm ready for it as long as i know it's going to fix it. but wouldn't strengthening help me for the future? how do i fix the current tendonitis?
my range of movements is seriously restricted. i can't sleep now because i'm always conscious about not moving to my side as it hurts a lot!
|

replied November 1st, 2010
I am also hyperflexible and found out that I have Scoliosis, Kyphosis, and Lordosis in my back partically due to my hyperflexiblility. I'm only 17 and its been crazy trying to go through high school with everything that's going on physically. I should be going out and having fun being active but I feel more like an old lady who can't do much because her joints will pop out at any moment if placed wrong. I have also been teased most of my teenage years because of how many times I've dislocated a shoulder or my hip came out of place. Its been rough but to know there are others out there who are active and have hyperflexibility helps. Smile Thank you! You all gave me hope. Haha. I have been going to PT for about 7 months for 3-4 hours a week. Its been a lot of intensive and difficult work but I'm finally making some great progress and hopefully will be able to enjoy being active again soon. Very Happy
|
Quick Reply