Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

New to Ehealth

Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
Hi, my names Kristy. I'm 21, and I have been bulimic on and off since I was 16. I am really trying to stop, and all on my own, and I don;t have the time to go to a treatment center, because I am already 21 and still finishing junior college. I am also in training to be a certified nutrionist. I have been struggeling with this problem for a long time and I am getting impatient with the healing process. I have a little better perception of a good body image I'd like to still go for, but in a healthier way. I am very frustrated because I want my metabolism to be fast now, and I am trying to find the best plan to build it back up again...? I also was curious if anyone knew exactly how long it takes for someone who has been purging for the past 5 years to come to a fast metabolism and what guidelines would you give to someone stopping this disease but still trying to loose weight? And I was wondering how long it usually takes people with eating disorders (and please be a specific as you can) to heal mentally and physicaly? I am actually very interested in health and know quite a lot about it, but with how much pressure society puts on women to stay thin, I am constantly having set backs. I will go weeks without even thinking about it then suddenly I have to have a cheeseburger but dont want to keep it down. Please send me your best advice, thank you. Rolling Eyes
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 12th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Hello.
Welcome to the forum.
I know what you're talking about.. It may take a very long time to get back to and healthy state since you stop purging and so on. Your metabolism will be affected again - notice that the first time it was affected was when your problems started, okay?
But it's something you can deal with, with strengh and perserverance!
|
Did you find this post helpful?