Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Hip Replacement And Cardio Exercise

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
I am 46 years old, and over 2 years into my right hip replacement (metal on metal). I had a great recovery and have been extremely active since. Up until the last week, I have had zero pain or discomfort. I do cardio exercise 4 - 5 days a week, mostly lower impact. I started doing the stair climber recently, and also felt fine. In addition, I do a lot of weight training for my legs, including squats (though I do not go too low in the squat). Anyway, I am having a lot of discomfort and my hip feel stiff. I wanted to know if anyone else out there has experienced this same thing? I am hoping it's just a strain, and am not sure if I should continue, only with low impact cardio and stretching, or stop for a while? I will go see my doctor if it does not go away, but was hoping some real folks, that have experienced the same thing could share their experiences.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 29th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Do you have access to a stair glider instead of a stair climber? It might be easier on your joint.
|

replied February 13th, 2011
hip pain
I am 7 years out of my hip replacements which were 8 months apart. For about 6 weeks in December - January, I had stabbing pain in one hip. The pain occurred when I was sitting or standing, not walking or climbing the stairs. The pain was severe enough to make me gasp sometimes. Suddenly, the pain stopped (I hope!). I attribute it to increased exercise and muscles adapting. When it was happening, I was worried that there was something wrong with the replacement.
|