Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Nervous Gas (Page 1)

Must Read
We burp, belch and fart an average of 12 times a day. But why do we have gas? And what is intestinal gas?...the basics here....
Intestinal gas forms from two main sources - swallowed air and bacteria in the intestine. Plus, learn which factors to avoid to decrease the likelihood of gas....
How much gas is normal? Usually symptoms of gas and flatulence are more bothersome than serious. But learn when you should seek help for excessive gas here....
Hey all,

I am a 21 yr old male, currently preparing for the LSAT. I have what has become a very troubling issue with nervous gas. Almost regardless of what I eat/drink the night before or the morning of the exam, I have a very restless bowell during the 4-hour test. Basically, I suffer painful gas that I obviously do not want to expel since I am sitting in a silent room with about 10-12 other test-takers, and thus I writhe in discomfort and embrassment during my practice examinations. I know this problem may sound a bit funny, but its persistence is really bothering me, becuase I think it is having an impact on my score.

are there medicines that I can take, or routines that I can follow to mitigate/remove this problem? thanks very much.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper livingbetter18
|

User Profile
replied August 29th, 2007
Experienced User
What you are experiencing could be related to nervousness and digestion. Personally I would recommend going to a naturopathic doctor who can perscribe something for your digestion and gas. Also look at what you are eating in the morning or the night before. Are you eating fruit combined with food? This can cause a gas effect in the stomach through fermentation as fruit digestion is different from regular foods. Digesting fruits takes a different digestive acid as other foods and the process is shorter than regular food. So when combined this can cause gas and strange sounds in the stomach. It can be as easy as taking a digestive enzyme.
If you find out what it is you have let us know. Keep us posted on what you used and how it worked for you.
|

replied November 20th, 2008
Like if I wrote it myself...
Hi HockeyGuy,

What you wrote is eerily similar to my situation. Whenever I am nervous, I have had the same problem and it is embarrassing. For me the nervousness leads to gas and, perhaps, even more of a problem for me is that this gas usually gets trapped in my colon not my abdomen. Hence, the only way to relieve it is going to the bathroom.
I can fully sympathize with as I have also taken the actual LSAT. Combining with the psychological effect of this situation, taking a 4 hour something test is a nightmare, nothing short of a trauma. The problem, however, is that in law school this reoccurs every time you have finals. I'm not even gonna mention the 8-hour bar exam.
Unfortunately, I have no answer to this problem, and I have been in search of one since I was 7 or 8 years old and then, more so, when I was diagnosed with IBS.
From what I gather, no one knows what causes IBS but, basically, our brains have a short circuit to our bowels (i.e. nervousness leads to gas and bloating). Interestingly enough, my IBS symptoms have evolved and changed throughout the years. Although, the symptoms manifested themselves differently, I still have the same short circuit problem.
If only someone would do research on this problem...because I am sure that you and I are definitely not alone (it's a sensitive subject that many are not willing to discuss). I would be so willing to donate to funding of such research!!!
I have found that to a limited extent GasX can help and also anxiety/depression drugs like Xanax can help. However, I am not a doctor and this is just my personal experience.
I read somewhere that IBS can be caused by a single traumatic event. This may be. But, unfortunately, this is a vicious circle that never ends and your fear only makes it worse. Unfortunate it is that one's fears cannot be controlled.
I wish you the best of luck and I hope that, one day, someone will have an answer to this chronic problem that we and so many share.

Regards,
Frank
|

replied December 6th, 2012
i have been having the same problem since i was 10 and i am 14 now. it is very hard to take any kind of test or be in a quit room without having this problem. i completely agree with you, this problem should be researched and GasX has helped me too. But i would have to live life so uncomfortably and to not be able to be normal and sit in a quiet room without a problem.
|

replied February 5th, 2009
At least I'm not alone!
I seem to have this same problem. Sometimes its so bad that it makes me fear being in quiet rooms with other people. The funny part is, is that they are usually just loud and don't stink. This sounds silly to say but it really is embarassing, especially if I'm at a job interview or sitting in a classroom. I think the problem really only arrises when I'm nervous which normally occurs in these type of public situations, mainly because of my fear of such incident occuring. It really is a viscious cycle and is hard to cope with at times. I have visited a doctor and was diagnosed with IBS which pretty much means my digestive tract is pretty unstable. I try to eat healthier foods that don't have so much grease. Laying off soda and drinking more water also helps. I've also found that taking some fiber capsules seems to help at times. I feel that I shouldn't be having to worry about these issues as a 21 year old, and could be more productive and outgoing if this wasn't a problem for me. I am however concerned as well because my biological father is diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and has much more severe issues than I. I just only hope that I don't develop this condition as well. I believe maintaining a healther diet now is the best way for prevention of this occurence.
|

replied March 22nd, 2009
I too suffer from this problem.
I am 24 years old and this problem started for me when I was 19. I thought I was alone with this nightmare. It pains me to be in a quiet classroom, job interview, elevator, at work etc. It started one day when I had an almost panic attack and was full of anxiety from the quiet of my classroom. I started imagining having a gas attack and my stomach turned and became insanely bloated. The more I thought about it the worse it became. I had such intense issues with this problem I dropped all my classes because it was becoming too traumatic. I noticed water is key to calming it down but it still happens from time to time. I dont think I have IBS because this only happens when Im in school or when I think about how scared I am.
|

replied July 19th, 2011
Gas in Public
the same thing happens with me I always thought i was alone on this.me and my dad both hav nervous conditions n gas ONLY happens when im out in public. : ( at da gym, at work where i have to stand in front of someone and with my girlfriend.imagine being nervous everywhere u go with thefear of letting one go, being in a room about to have sex n too scared cause you know your going to let one rip. itz nerve recking to my already nervous mind this is one more thing to b nervous about. i've been to the doctor 5 or 6 times and have taken different meds every time nothing works : ( why won't people do something about this problem. come on people we are americans we should have a cure for this
|

replied July 19th, 2011
Gas in Public
the same thing happens with me I always thought i was alone on this.me and my dad both hav nervous conditions n gas ONLY happens when im out in public. : ( at da gym, at work where i have to stand in front of someone and with my girlfriend.imagine being nervous everywhere u go with thefear of letting one go, being in a room about to have sex n too scared cause you know your going to let one rip. itz nerve recking to my already nervous mind this is one more thing to b nervous about. i've been to the doctor 5 or 6 times and have taken different meds every time nothing works : ( why won't people do something about this problem. come on people we are americans we should have a cure for this
|

replied April 16th, 2009
Try
Try letting the gas out as quietly as possible directly into your chair to muffle the noise and filter out the stink. Of course if you are sitting in a wooden chair this won't work. Digestive system transplant?
|

User Profile
replied April 16th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Re: Try
Poopy55 wrote:
Try letting the gas out as quietly as possible directly into your chair to muffle the noise and filter out the stink. Of course if you are sitting in a wooden chair this won't work. Digestive system transplant?

Digestive system transplant? Not funny.

I'm sure hockeyguy62 knows how to release gas but that is not the answer in which he seeks. By the way some farts don't filter too well no matter what seat it is released into.

hockeyguy62 wrote:

Basically, I suffer painful gas that I obviously do not want to expel since I am sitting in a silent room with about 10-12 other test-takers, and thus I writhe in discomfort and embrassment during my practice examinations. Are there medicines that I can take, or routines that I can follow to mitigate/remove this problem? thanks very much.

If changing your diet does not help; might I suggest you make an appt with a GI doctor. Before heading to the docs...try pro-biotics, it works well with your digestive tract. Take one before a meal...works wonders for me....
|

replied April 19th, 2009
Try
Also, you might want to try going poop more often.
|

replied April 22nd, 2009
Try
I have this too and I just use farting strategies to overcome this. But I understand, sometimes in the test room, it is just too embarrassing to fart. Just calm yourself down during the test, its the nervousness and thought of doing bad that's causing. Learn some relaxation techniques that work for you.

Or just get those diaper/underwear things that absorbs farts and no one can smell it but be careful to position your butt hole so that the configuration of your anus doesn't cause noise.
|

replied August 19th, 2009
phayzmes or maalox...
try taking 2 phayzmes (2 at 180 mg) after meals (not to exceed 2 a day) (OTC in heartburn section at your local pharmacy). and ask your doctor about aciphex, protonix, or omperazole (in case you have a burping problem too.) i hope that works. if he gives you aciphex be sure to print out a coupon online - saves you 35 bucks since aciphex is brand only. oh and if you're sick, and your doc prescribes you antibiotics, be sure to tell him about your bowel, in that case he can prescribe you something that's not to hard on your stomach. hope that works.
|

replied January 24th, 2010
Wow, I really thought I was alone with this problem! Every where that it's quiet I get nervous and I start thinking about it. Every day at work I would have to try to use the bathroom. It happens when I'm in my cube, class, elevator, ANY WHERE that is quiet. My palms starts getting sweaty and gas just starts building up. I stopped going to college because of this it bugs me so bad because I really want to finish college but it's extremely stressful to deal with it and school. It is a very sensitive subject because people will just laugh at you. I would love to find a cure for this!
|

replied April 13th, 2011
i understand how u feel i when to a colon doctor and they found nothing and they said it was from stress but i heard taking deep slow breaths and not tensing up is the key its just that nerves take over and u cant help it. I just got this last year in my senior year of highschool it was terrible!
|

User Profile
replied January 3rd, 2012
i get it
i understand your pain... im only 13 and i have the same problem. exept, i kind of have the gas expelled up and out. not down. And i get really embarased when im in 8TH GRADE and get nervus about a test. i dont tell anybody about it, but i feel like people know. it sucks
|

replied July 8th, 2012
problems
i know what you mean i am only 14 and i cnt sit in a quit room without going to the bathroom or the nurse and it feels like everyone knows and they stare at you while you squirm in your seat and i want to go to homeschool so i can actually have a life and not embarass my self in front of everyone in highschool. Most of the tome my problem is that i feel the need to pass gas or go use the bathroom and this is why i failed the fcat and get bad grades because its hard to control. someone has to make a cure for this soon.
|

User Profile
replied January 3rd, 2012
i get it
i understand your pain... im only 13 and i have the same problem. exept, i kind of have the gas expelled up and out. not down. And i get really embarased when im in 8TH GRADE and get nervus about a test. i dont tell anybody about it, but i feel like people know. it sucks
|

replied January 6th, 2012
My advice is keep being persistent with your doctor/and or what they call a gastroenterologist and whatever you do don't use TUMS, I recently had a 7 day stay in the hospital due to using TUMS and alot of my inside organs are enlarged due to it. I am no on two medicines called Pepcid and Bentyl and am still having problems, I dont know if you have cable in your area but there is something called Yoga which is an exercise program that is suppose to help. Peppermint can soothe stomach and problems with your digestion.

I have had stomach problems for years, what I can say is keep on your doctors until they help. I am older than you and have helped alot of my friends with stomach problems and have tried to read up on remedies and gather aide from friends who have the same problems.

Sincerely, Tony
paying it forward, helping others who help others.
|

replied October 23rd, 2012
HELP!
i thought i was the only one who had this! it's really embarrassing in class! i'm only 16 and i can't concentrate because i keep thinking about it. i can't stay in a quiet room because my stomach will start making random noises and everyone notices it's me. one time i was in class and i was nervous (it was the first week of school) and my stomach made a weird noise and i pretended i was hungry when i really wasn't. this started 2 years ago and i NEVER told anyone about this. i think it's too embarrassing to tell. i hate that i have to keep going to the bathroom in school because of it and sometimes my teacher doesn't let us go. so i have no choice but to stay and continue with the weird noises. how can i put an end to this??? PLEASE HELP!
|

replied January 27th, 2010
ME TOO! Its Awful.
I soooo have this problem too! I never thought I was going to make it through highschool! It sounds stupid but I would make my friend cough for me everytime i thought i was going to "release one". Then when I got in college i decided to take only online classes because i couldnt deal with the pressure of having this problem & going to class. In quiet settings or anytime i get nervous i start gettign the urge to pass gas. I get super hot, my hands get sweaty, my cheeks start getting flushed, and i start shaking my leg like crazy (nervous habit) usually someone will notice my leg & ask me if something is wrong w/ me.. its embarassing. So i would have to get up and rush out of the room & i usually blame it on my anxiety. I do have anxiety but i cant go around telling people, "oh i had to fart so i ran outta the room." Its so horrible. I feel like its ruining my life. I go to the bathroom almost everyday and i noticed u all said to drink lots of water.. well i have always drank lots of water, my whole life. I feel like the doctors in my neighborhood wouldnt take me seriously. I dont know what to do. At least im not alone.....
|

i have Exactly Exactly the same problem thats why i have homeschool now because i coudnt take it.
|

replied February 3rd, 2010
same here!
same here!!! however it ruined my life at school i wanted to go to uni but had to drop out of 6 form as i couldnt sit in the classrooms. it started in a test one day then i got worried about if it happens again so it did in any test then that led to assemlyly ect sitting in classrooms.. it became a nightmare i got extreemly depressed no one took me seriously so i dropped out of 6 form and never went to uni because of it. its not like you can hold it in though because it back fires inj your stomach and makes a farting noise anyway. well it nice to hear im not alone but i think some research should be done, so it doesnt ruin anyone elses lives. im sure alot more of the population has this not just us!
|

replied February 3rd, 2010
After reading everyone's stories it really encouraged me to go back to school. It's going to be EXTREMELY stressful and nerve racking but it has made me sooo unhappy with myself. I can't do anything without trying to work my life around this issue! I think it's more common than we know it but people are afraid that people will laugh. I even went to the doctor's and they were smiling when I told them about my situation. She then recommended me to try to use the bathroom every morning. That has been the only thing that worked for me but when I can't I freak out. Maybe we can give each other some advice to cope with this?
|

replied February 27th, 2010
SAME HERE!!!!
i have the exact same problem, it started on my first day of high school, whenever i'm in assembly its quiet and i start to get nervous, really nervous, i start to sweat squirm around and know that its going too come out, then i hold it in a bit longer but then it somehow make my stomach make this funny noise and i say to the person next to me, i'm really hungry, but i'm not, i don't want to go to the doctors because my mu will know and then shell tell everybody cause shes so boring. Like it happened once i was squirming then i did that 'T' sign that you do with your hands to the deputy principal he noded no then i did it again he finally said yes so i went running out to the bathroom locked myself in and farted, then the assembly ended luckily my pals got my bag for me, they asked why i ran out and i just said that i needed to go for a wee. its really annoying, i changed my diet doesn't work, drank tons of water a day, did excersise, and it stills bothers me, its annoying when i do my cheer leading too or when im with my boyfriend
|

replied February 27th, 2010
SIGH...
I feel everyone's pain here. I suffer from the same problem. My friends laugh at me when I tell them, and some actually think there's something wrong with me Sad I don't know what it is, and it's silly to think it could possibly be something severe enough to be diagnosed. I thought it was just me, but I'm happy to know that there are people that also hate being in a quiet room full of people, whether it's during a lecture or worse, an exam. I've had too many traumatic, humiliating experiences, especially in small classrooms, to date because of this problem.

I notice it most frequently occurs right before an exam, presentation, or when I know I'm going to be in a quiet area with people around. My hands get clammier than they usually do, my stomach starts feeling uneasy, and I get very tense and jittery. The anticipation, nervousness, and anxiety get to me and in my head, I'm always hoping that I don't make any funny noises or look so obvious.

Through my experiences I've learned that holding it in is the worst thing to do--no doubt about it. I've used Gas-X before, but that didn't work so well (I should have used their ultra-strength instead of the regular one), plus I feel embarrassed purchasing it in public or keeping it in my bag. So I've found 3 ways that are most effective in dealing with my curse:

1) Watching the foods I eat, i.e. the day before a test. I don't eat foods that I know would make my stomach bubbly/give me gas. I avoid meat and especially anything lactose (I fear developing osteoporosis later on in life because I can't drink milk everyday Sad Lactaid still makes me feel bloated. Any suggestions?), and stick to fruits, salad, soup, simple foods, and small snacks. This has helped me prevent having another embarrassing story to tell.

2) Carrying around a sweater. Yes, this is random and sounds silly, but it's one of the most discreet ways I can deal with my problem. Most of my mortifying moments apparently happen on hard surfaces, like wooden or metal chairs. My bag can only hold so much and I'd rather not put it on the floor, so onto the chair my sweater goes! You don't know how comforting it is knowing that it's there to "save me" when I need something to suppress any funny business that goes on behind me.

3) Going to the bathroom. I practically know where all the bathrooms are on my campus. Sad, I know! But really, having a clean system can be a source of immense ease.

I hope these tips will somehow help you as they have done for me. You're not alone! Smile
|

replied April 29th, 2010
Cest la Vie
Really good advice from delasoul, I must say.
I think the issue s more deeprooted than IBS, if you ask me.
Been sober for six months and when I say sober, I mean absolutely no
alcohol, ciggs or marijuana, exercise daily, eating small meals, lots of greens,
probiotic yoghurt, brown bread and no caffeine. I find that the problem persists when I''m sitting down. For me, the problem is more of a silent kller issue, where everyone around me ends up coughing and looking in my direction and holding their nose. This actually elavates my anxiety and makes the situation worst. It''s hard to ignore such a problem, and you can only hope that all the water you drink is helping, in a way. But it''s good to know that your not alne , I guess...
to it''s climax when Im sitting down.
|

replied May 2nd, 2010
Embarrassed teen
Im so glad other people are the same!
My tummy rumbles and it sounds like im farting, it happens all the time, in assembly at school, in my classes and i have a big load of exams next week Sad it makes me so upset because everyone can hear it and im so embarrassed. So im not looking forward to my exams, sitting in a silence room for 2 whole hours with about 40 people in my year at school, and since im worried about my tummy, i then get more nervous and it happens more and i sweat. Its distroying my life :''(
|

replied June 23rd, 2010
ok ladies....i have suffered the same problem for years....you know what helps?

IF you sit at the edge of your chair,where the edge of the chair is kinda digging in your vag"na.......YES THIS SOUNDS HORRIBLE AND PAINFUL, and sometimes it is painful after you get up....but it actually helps ease/eliminate the anxiety and prevents you from passing gas.

Don;t get me wrong, your still holding it in.....but if you sit at the edge of the seat so that it is essentially digging slightly into your private parts, it prevents it.

Going the the bathroom before class is crucial, and water may help, but not always................LET ME KNOW IF THIS HELPS. AND YES, SOMETIMES IT WILL HURT THE AREA AFTER, BUT ONLY FOR A DAY OR TWO........these are for exam situations mainly.
|

replied July 10th, 2010
same..
i have the exact same problem.. im in highschool & its horrible, im only in grade 9 i didnt have this problem first term and i passed everything..and i started getting this gas issue maybe 2 weeks before exam's for first term. luckily they made me do my exam's in the library away from everyone. But when second term came.. i dropped out of one class...failed all my other's. it was just downhill from there. im worried that im not gonna be sucessful in life..im not gonna get a boyfriend, get a job.. its completly ruining my life. doctor's are making me do the most unconfterbal things, & none of it seems to be working. im gonna start doing online courses soon if the next thing i try doesnt work. but i wanna go back to school and see all my friends so i dont feel like a nobody in this world, im one of those people who NEED friends.. i also have A.D.D but i dont know if that has anything to do with it, i know my grandma has a anxiety disorder.. & my dad was atopted..but other than that no family background that might relate..im glad i guess that there are other people with this problem i just want it fixed, its controlling my life, i cant go see movies without get gasy i cant hangout with most of my guy friends anymore..i cant see myself having a sucessful life anymore, Sad i hate it.
|

replied September 15th, 2011
i have a.d.d and have this sme problem. i was wondering if it was caused from years of being on medication. what medication nare you on?
|

replied January 6th, 2012
Bgas, why can't you consult with your counselor and ask to take a test in private, people that are dyslexic are allowed to have certain things different than everyone else to help them, why can't this be arranged for you? Also try and eat more meals during the day that is what they told me, but try whole grain foods, this is suppose to help and it believe it or not has helped me. I recently had a 7 day stay in the Hospital and was very sick and the ER doctors told me NEVER EVER ignore your symptoms no matter what, no matter who does not listen just keep trying and it will be that 1 DOCTOR THAT HELPS you. Someon said that caffeein can cause more gas within your body which can be true, my problem is that I have been used to drinking coffee and eating chocolate and I literally cannot go more than 3 days without eating chocolate, my friends laugh but I have tried and I have cut down majorly on coffee down to 1 cup compared to 4 1/2 cups a day which is what I used to drink. Peppermint is a good soother. I am 2 medicines a day and I don't really like taking medicine but I get abdominal pain that seems to be getting worse and I try to rough it as my former gastroenterologist said but can't.
|

i was on my way to highschool and i went to the meetings and everything but i didnt go cuz of my problem so now i take homeschool for high school and yes it does make you feel like a nobody and everybody asks you why you wanted home school and its hard to explain because your not gonna tell them about the problem. and then all of a sudden you feel like you have no life or no friends. IBS IS RUINING MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
|

replied July 29th, 2013
same here...
It started in the middle of my senior year of high school. I dropped a majority of my classes because it was just too traumatic to deal with. For me, I don't really feel the gas at all, I just get nervous and hyperaware of myself around others, and I tense up a lot...unless I'm completely distracted, which rarely ever happens.Sitting in a quiet classroom full of people IS THE WORST, sitting on a public bus, can't sit in church anymore. I'm so sick of it because I really want to go to college, but I really DON'T want to go because the same problem follows me. [I try to walk to my destinations now], I will not go to the movies anymore. This thing has torn my life apart....and when I try to explain this to my family or doctors, they either tell me that the more I sit around people, the better it will become....just no, and it's embarrasing as hell to talk about. I'm severely depressed, and isolate myself from a majority of situations. Rather than just being an issue I deal with, it has sadly become part of me, and I feel like I don't have a chance against failure, and it's not fair. I hate it sooooo much
|

replied July 29th, 2013
same here...
It started in the middle of my senior year of high school. I dropped a majority of my classes because it was just too traumatic to deal with. For me, I don't really feel the gas at all, I just get nervous and hyperaware of myself around others, and I tense up a lot...unless I'm completely distracted, which rarely ever happens.Sitting in a quiet classroom full of people IS THE WORST, sitting on a public bus, can't sit in church anymore. I'm so sick of it because I really want to go to college, but I really DON'T want to go because the same problem follows me. [I try to walk to my destinations now], I will not go to the movies anymore. This thing has torn my life apart....and when I try to explain this to my family or doctors, they either tell me that the more I sit around people, the better it will become....just no, and it's embarrasing as hell to talk about. I'm severely depressed, and isolate myself from a majority of situations. Rather than just being an issue I deal with, it has sadly become part of me, and I feel like I don't have a chance against failure, and it's not fair. I hate it sooooo much
|
Tags: gas, becuase, male
Quick Reply