Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

I Think My Mother-in-law Is Bipolar

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
My inlaws are getting divorced and lately she has been acting really strange. She argues and gets so hostile that she foams at the mouth. She has thought atleast twice about committing suicide. She has become fixated with her husbands issues and know refuses to talk to two of her sons. She doesn't sleep, she's become increasingly violent and is starting to isolate herself. She believes that something that she dreamt is real (a murder) and believes her husband is the culprit. I have never seen her like this before and I really don't know how to deal with it. She is seeing a counselor, but refuses to see a psychiatrist. Any thoughts on if she really is bipolar and how to get her help??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 22nd, 2007
Experienced User
Between a Rock And a Hard Place!
Wow, sounds to me like she is, if not already flipping out! Have you talked to your husband and told him that you think his Mom may be having a chemical imbalance? If she's seeing a counselor, lets hope they are good and don't go the "hormonal menopausal route", if she's not being completely honest with them about her thoughts and actions. Good luck and many blessings!
|

More Info
We've talked with my husbands siblings and they are so used to this behavior now that it almost seems normal to them. One of them mentioned-that they think the only difference between a counselor and a psychatrist is the fact that one can prescribe medicine and a counselor can't. I get the feeling that they think this behavior will just go away eventually. Myself and the other daughter in law seem to be the only ones who can really see how big of an issue this is. I don't want to upset the other siblings b/c I care a lot about them and this is their mother. I just don't know what to do. I think she likes her counselor, but she is seeing a gambling and addictions counselor b/c she believes her husband is a compulsive gambler. I know she's not telling her counselor everythign b/c we ended up telling him about the suicide attempts and he knew nothing about it!
|

Experienced User
Relationships
It's hard to help someone that doesn't want to help themselves, or doesn't see themselves as having a problem. I have a sister like that, who by the way called me some inappropriate names just this morning! She refuses to listen, thinks she's always right and has absolutely no morals when she verbally slams people (me being her latest scapegoat). I am at a point that there is nothing left for me to do but; pray for her.

People need to think happy to be happy! I'm afraid if you try to get involved you may be on her "bad list". If your a believer than try praying. I know by trying to converse with my sister when she's in one of her "moods" that alls I'm going to get out of it is a stress headace and shaky hands.

How is your relationship with your mother-in-law? Have you known her for a long time?
|

I have known my mother in law for about 9 years now. We weren't super close, but close enought to where I can argue with her about stuff. I pray every night that she gets the helps she needs, and I know a lot of other people pray for us. She's not really talking to me or my husband now so I can't really make requests of her.
|

Experienced User
Life Goes On
I know it's upsetting when someone you care about is acting like a total !**@!. I guess we just have to live our life the best we can, try to stay on a positive note and be patient and calm.
|