Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Probably Just Made Myself Go Deaf!!!

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
I'm 17 and my ears have been plugged for about a week. I tried the technique where you hold your nose and blow. As I did this my right ear popped and now I cannot hear very well out of it. Neither of my ears have returned to normal and to be honest I am a bit freaked out. What causes this and if I did damage my ear is there anything to be done about it?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 21st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
It's possible you have burst your eardrum.

You really need to go and see your GP just in case.
|

replied August 21st, 2007
In the event that I did what exactly does that involve. Will I ever get the hearing back. It's kind of important, I'm a musician Crying or Very sad
|

replied September 1st, 2007
you'd probably notice if you burst your ear drum as there would probably be a very sharp pain. when you hold your nose and blow, you bend your eardrums out so its possible they just havent returned to normal - try yawning, swallowing, sucking sweets etc. the hearing problem might just be wax. see your doctor to put your mind at ease - you might simply need your ears syringed.
|

User Profile
replied September 1st, 2007
Supporter
Hi
Trust me.........get some ear plugs now nad protect your hearing before you loose 30% in each ear like me. I too was in a bandfor everal years and I use to use warm olive oil in my ears to keep them cleaned out. I chewed gum t orelieve hte air pressure. This is not something you mess with trying ot hold your nose and blow until one pops.....I did this when I got back home from flying to Las Vegas, then drove a pateint to LA then flew back to GA ,last month........took me a week to get the air pressure under control! If it doesn't get better yes....go see a doctor!
|

User Profile
replied September 4th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Jules wrote:
It's possible you have burst your eardrum.

You really need to go and see your GP just in case.

this is why you dont want to do this. doctors will tell you not to do that as there is the possibility of doing this.

i dont think you have thouth as another said--youd have really sharp pain. id get into the doctors office asap
|
Quick Reply