Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Placebo Week.. Do You Need It?

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
does not taking the inactive pills lessen the effectivenes of the pill ? would it be okay to just throw away the pill and wait those 7 days to start a new pack or start a new pack right away. also if i wanted to change the time i take my pill would that up my chances of getting pregnant ? kuz i wanted to make the time about 15 minutes later if that even makes a differenttt
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Tylanas
|

replied August 21st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
15 minutes is okay, it does not matter.

The inactive pills are, well, INACTIVE, they do absolutely nothing. You could eat a jellybean instead of those pills.

They just keep you in the habit of taking a pill everyday.
|

so would it be better to throw away the pills and wait seven days to start the new pack or start a new pack right after the other?
|

Especially eHealthy
janie xoxo wrote:
so would it be better to throw away the pills and wait seven days to start the new pack or start a new pack right after the other?

It doesn't matter. It's not better or worse to throw the inactive pills away. You will be perfectly fine taking the pill 15 minutes late, even if it was an active pill.

A pill isn't late until it is more than 6 hours past the take-time.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
janie xoxo wrote:

Normally women need that seven days in between active pills to get their period. If you take the next pack right after (skipping that fourth week) you might end up with spotting during the next month. But if you're trying to skip your period, that's what you do. Besides spotting, it won't hurt you at all.

If you take a pill that says "fe" after the name, the inactive pills contain iron to offset the iron lost during your period. It might make you feel better to take them. Otherwise they are just reminders.

Personally, I need to take the inactive week or I forget when I need to start again. But I'm like that, so it's really up to you.
|

yeah my inactive pills have iron in them ..
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
That still doesn't mean you have to take them, they just might make you feel better during your period.
|

Especially eHealthy
I don't get any extra iron during my period lol. Haven't keeled over yet.
|

User Profile
replied August 22nd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I haven't ever noticed a difference unless I was doing a lot of physical activity (I'm a dancer) I would get tired a lot faster while on my period if I wasn't taking something.
|

replied December 9th, 2011
i tool my inactive pill about 2 hours late is that okay?
|

replied December 9th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
Yes it's fine. It's not doing anything it's inactive.
|

replied November 9th, 2012
Birth Control
I forgot to take my inactive pills and started taking the next pack. I had my time of the month on the Active pill in the 1st week. I finish all the new pack and the 7 days off I started another pack I'm in the 1st week of the new pack and I didn't have my time of the month. Don't understand why.
|