Medical Questions > Mental Health > Panic Attacks Forum

Anxiety Attack Without Knowing You're Stressed or Anxious ?

Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
About 2 weeks ago I started having light headed spells. Not dizzy, but a feeling like I was going to pass out. When that happened I would also feel very detached from myself and my surroundings...sort of like it wasn't actually happening.

That happened 2 days in a row. The next day my boyfriend of many years stepfather died unexpectedly in his sleep. I assume that may have something to do with what's happening to me now.

Since that day, I have major episodes of being dizzy and sort of like I have motion sickness, feeling very detached, feeling like something horrible is going to happen to me, I'm afraid to go to sleep because I think I might not wake up, I'm constantly checking my pulse (which is usually under 60 beats per minute - so of course I'm also freaking out about that), chest pain, extreme fatigue, and feeling like I have a lump in my throat.

I'm guessing that it's anxiety, but why was I having only the light headed spells before and why the sudden switch in symptoms?

When I have a "spell" I do get a bit confused and it's difficult to make sense of things or articulate exactly what I'm feeling.

Is this just anxiety? Is it possible to have an anxiety attack without knowing you're stressed or anxious at all?

Thanks for any comments, advice, etc. Nothing like this has ever happened to me before.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 20th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
sounds like stress is causing anxiety which is pretty common

Sad i would go see a doctor soon and maybe they can help you out more
|

User Profile
replied August 25th, 2007
Advanced Support Team
Jmo79,

I'm sorry to hear about your bf's father. As scary as it may be, these things to happen, and it's all a part of life. It's totally normal to be affraid, however, there are usually many other things that scare us in our daily lives that we simple stuff... in hopes that they will just go away.

When something dramatic happens, the lid starts to come off, and all these feelings that you did not know you had start pouring out out of nowhere.

You mentioned that you feel disconnected from your self and your environment.

What you're going through is actually what alot of people in the US are going through. We are not really taught to deal with our emotions. Our lifestyle is totally un-natural, we are isolated from people, from nature, from the earth. We are bombarded with stimulation, and constantly told that we need to do more, be more, consume more, when none of that is true.

As a result, most people just want to take a pill and forget their problems. This is neither realistic, nor helpfull.

Before seeking medical answers to your questions, I would recommend to talk to people that you trust about the things that are going on in your life.
Try to talk to the people you love, and you may be surprised how common it is to feel overwhelmed these days.

You're not alone, and life does get better.

All the best,
-Daniel
|

replied September 9th, 2007
Hello
I was wondering if you have felt better? Have you seen a Dr? I have kind of the same symptoms but they started over a month ago and rarely enough, they started after eating out one night at a buffet.....That is why it is hard for me to believe that it is because of stress and anxiety like the Drs that i have been to say......the symptoms were really bad for two weeks, then they got better, i am able to function fine but i wonder what is causing the weird feeling....its a hard feeling to explain....its around my lips and on my cheeks....not tingling, numbness or heaviness, just a sensation....the best i could describe it as would be like if my skin was dry, but its not, and it will go away and come back just on one side. Hope to hear you're doing better
|

User Profile
replied November 8th, 2007
the_girlfriend wrote:
sounds like stress is causing anxiety which is pretty common

Sad i would go see a doctor soon and maybe they can help you out more

Being on this topic, I have the same problem and I've gone to the doctor to try and to find out breathing techniques or exercises I could do to avoid these attacks because I don't seem over stressed. I feel like I'm at a level at which it's healthy, but is my body saying otherwise?
|

replied November 18th, 2007
Grrrr!
Hi Everyone, I have no clue what's going on with me... lol. About 6 months ago, I had a massive chest pain that went to my Arm and back my neck, never had this pain in my life! I went to the ER and found out that I had a panic attack... I was relieved to hear, since I'm only 25, I am married and expecting a son soon, I was in Generally great health, but I do smoke. Anyways, About a month ago, I started having really weird pains in my Abdominal area that got so bad that I went to the ER, thinking it was something "Life-Threatning" I found out that I had "IBS Irritable Bowel Syndrome" so I was like, ok I can live with that, and changed my diet... now, I am experiencing extremely weird pain in my chest wall, that travels to my left arm, dull pain and tingling in my neck, I have a lump in my throat that likes to move back and forth, and dizzy, feeling detached episodes that also causes me to lose feeling in my left side of face and bulging vains in my left and right hands and forearms... the Doctors did alot of blood tests that last time I went to the ER for my IBS episode, and they didn't find anything wrong... It freaks me out, but I am thinking I might have a Panic Disorder, but this doesn't feel right. I've been to the hospital one too many times in one yr to find really nothing wrong, So I don't know if I am tripping, or something is very wrong.

Help!
|

Especially eHealthy
hey! it could be so many things
change in diet?
stress?
anxiety?

maybe you should go see a theripist.
|

Mad... Lol
Well, Thank you for your help, but just found out what is wrong, and I feel Retarded for it! I have what is known as "Cat Scratch Fever" it generally happens when a Cat scratches a person, and this cat has a Bacteria (cannot pronounce it to save my life) but it can cause the Lymph nodes in your throat to sweel to about 2 inches, whcih can cause pressure on the main blood vessels and such, leading from the heart to the brain. It can also cause Fever of course, but also mild "Dizziness and Fatigue" Symptoms, and also can make you have a Panic Episode (thinking about having heart attacks and pressure in the chest). I own a cat, and she's not even a yr old yet, and I play with her all the time, which we can get kinda rough at times. I seriously didn't think there was anything like this, but went to the hospital today with my wife for a check-up for her, and her doctor noticed the scratch on my left hand, and showed me her's on her left arm, LOL... I might have been alittle "over the top" with my panic attacks, but I was sure there was something wrong! I just have to let this take it's course. Again, Thank you
|