Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Cannot Eat Cheese / Abdominal Pain

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
Hello.

I am a 30 year old female that just had her gall bladder removed 1 month ago. A couple months ago, I started having severe abdominal pain and nausea after eating (lasted around 4-5 hours), but no vomiting or diarrhea. I was able to go to the bathroom without any problem, other than the severe stomach cramping. My main trigger food was cheese, but some other foods triggered it as well (some non-dairy). After having an endoscopy and Hida scan, it was found that I had a 10% ejection fraction, so my doctor and I decided to remove my gall bladder.

That seems to have healed well, and I have tried a couple times to eat cheese. Each time, though, I still get intense stomach pain. I thought that perhaps I was lactose intolerant, but I never vomit nor have diarrhea. Nor do I have problems with any other diary food (like ice cream). It seems that cheese is the only food that still bothers me... I did try to take a supplement (Lactaid) when eating cheese, but it did not help.

I don't understand though, why after years of eating cheese (many times a week), I seem to not be able to tolerate any of it.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 26th, 2007
Experienced User
Have you consulted with a naturopath? Perhaps a good digestive enzyme would help with this problem. Or sourcing another kind of based cheese such a soy or goat. Let us know what works for you. Keep us posted with your progress.
|

User Profile
replied September 19th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
The gall bladder serves as a resevoir for bile. When we eat a fatty meal, the gall bladder ejects that stored bile to help us digest the extra fats. I have heard from many folks who have difficulty with cheese and ice cream after gall bladder surgery. I'm so sorry that you have this problem. i love cheese!
|

replied March 9th, 2010
Cheese, calcium metabolism, gallbladder and pain.
It has something to do with calcium metabolism and the gallbladder. I was poisoned with vitamin d and my gallbladder hasn't been the same since. I suffer acalculous gallbladder disease and have had a normal hida scan. I don't believe the medical research establishment knows the exact mechanism and hasn't made the connection.
|