Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Constant cracking of my hip

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
For the past few years I've been experiencing constant cracking of my hip. It's only one joint that does it but it happens frequently, several times a day. I do experience restless legs quite a bit and was thinking perhaps it has to do with that. Both of these things have not bothered me enough to seek medical help, but I am quite curious as to what might be causing the cracking. I should note that it's not painful, only embarassing in a silly way because it's quite loud. Any ideas? Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 21st, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Is this a physical sensation as well as an audio sensation?
|

replied August 21st, 2007
Hip Cracking
yes I would say it is a physical sensation as well as an audio one.
|

User Profile
replied August 22nd, 2007
The hip is made up of THREE separate bones. Does the cracking originate from the pubic bone, the bowl of the hips, or the crest? Which side?
|

replied August 22nd, 2007
Hip Cracking
hmm sorta tricky, well it's the right hip not at the pubic bone but I'm not exactly sure but i'm thinking it's at the part towards the front where the femur meets the pelvis,. Hopes that helps Smile
|

User Profile
replied August 23rd, 2007
Well, it might be a tendon rubbing against the bone. The tendon a the strong, dense piece of muscle fibre that attaches the muscle to the bone. Or perhaps it's the cartilage between the femur bone and the hip socket that's popping. In either case, a visit to the orthopedist and a request for an MRI, which should help show any soft tissue damage in the joint. Let us know how it goes!
|

replied February 24th, 2009
how can one get rid of it?
Hi, Does anyone knows ways in which the cracking can be diminished? I am a dancer and my left hip is always cracking every time I lift my leg forward and put it down. If anyone knows any way to diminish this horrible cracking please let me know, I will really appreciatte it.
|

replied April 14th, 2011
Hip crack
I have the same probkem! I too dance and my left hip cracks constantly. Its not painful but sometimes it feels locked like i need to open and crack it. It started months ago and i wasnt doing anything different. I would also lobe to know how to get rid of this ..
|

replied May 21st, 2011
How is your flexibility?
the same thing happens to me, in taekwondo we do stretching exercises where you lift up your leg and mine pops then. My flexibility is at a point where i am in the splits or something and my body physically can not go any further, yet there is no stretch or tension in my muscles. I hear that it can be due to loose joints caused by overstretching..
|
Tags: hip, hip joint
Quick Reply