Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Antibiotics Cancel Out Birth Control?

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
A friend of mine said that if you're sick and taking prescription antibiotics that you shouldn't have sex because the antibiotics cancel out the birth control and you can get pregnant because the pills aren't really working. Is that true?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper blu_eyes00
|

replied September 5th, 2003
Experienced User
Yes ma'am it is. Certain antibiotics lessen the effectiveness of the pill....It all depends on which antibiotic. You should always ask your doctor if a perscription will affect the pill. If you are ever unsure, talk to a pharmacist..He or she will definately be able to tell you. Just use a backup method like a condom (but remember, condoms can and do break) or avoid sexual intercourse for the month you are on the medication. As I mentioned before, just talk to a doctor or pharmacist. Smile
|

replied September 24th, 2003
Extremely eHealthy
Be careful! The pill can become less reliable if u have diahroaea (dunno hw 2 spell it!) vomiting or if u take anti-biotics, st johns wort or bloos thinners therefore I suggest u use some other form of contraception while on the anti-biotics. You're meant to be careful while ur taking them and then, wait a whole week after just to be 100% sure.
|

replied August 14th, 2009
just wanna know
can the shot be less effective to
|
Quick Reply