Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

Lump On Leg (Page 1)

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
Hi!

I found a lump (hard, hurts if I push on it, hasn't shrunk over 3 days, and it's about 3/4-inches all around). It is on the medial side of my upper calf. I don't see swelling on the skin around it nor any redness.

I'm wondering if this could be a cancerous lump? Or a lymph node swelling? Any signs for me to tell?

Will make an appointment with the doctor this week but am in a state of panic in the meantime. I also just moved to NYC and need to find a doctor still......yikes.

Thanks,

gtrekker2003
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile MandMs
|

User Profile
replied August 20th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Lump On Leg
gtrekker2003 wrote:
Hi!

I found a lump (hard, hurts if I push on it, hasn't shrunk over 3 days, and it's about 3/4-inches all around). It is on the medial side of my upper calf. I don't see swelling on the skin around it nor any redness.

I'm wondering if this could be a cancerous lump? Or a lymph node swelling? Any signs for me to tell?

Will make an appointment with the doctor this week but am in a state of panic in the meantime. I also just moved to NYC and need to find a doctor still......yikes.

Thanks,

gtrekker2003

Don't panic! It seems like you're having a swollen lymph node. Have you hurt you leg recently or done excessive exercise?
|

replied August 20th, 2007
Lump On Leg
Hi!

I don't know if I hurt it. I have a very physical job and ALWAYS hurt myself so can't remember if I did or not. I have been doing lots of yoga of late, moreso than usual, but that's about all the extra exercise.

I'm in a bit of a sticky situation as I can't seem to find a doctor willing to take new patients, even though I have had health insurance for a year plus. So, I'm not sure how soon I can get this checked out yet. Hopefully soon.

Thanks for the input. Makes me feel a bit better.

gtrekker2003
|

User Profile
replied August 21st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Lump On Leg
gtrekker2003 wrote:
Hi!

I don't know if I hurt it. I have a very physical job and ALWAYS hurt myself so can't remember if I did or not. I have been doing lots of yoga of late, moreso than usual, but that's about all the extra exercise.

I'm in a bit of a sticky situation as I can't seem to find a doctor willing to take new patients, even though I have had health insurance for a year plus. So, I'm not sure how soon I can get this checked out yet. Hopefully soon.

Thanks for the input. Makes me feel a bit better.

gtrekker2003

I'm happy you're feeling better. Hope everything end well. Please, write after seeing a doctor. Good luck with finding one!
|

replied August 26th, 2007
Lump On Leg
Hi!

I went to a doctor and had an ultrasound. Apparently, it is a lipoid, one of the most common benign masses. A relief! Thanks again for the input.

gtrekker2003
|

replied February 13th, 2009
hi !
can i ask , i have a lump a little below my left side of the hips which is the left upper leg side , i dont know if its alright to say it but its near my mens part not really near but beside it like 2-3cm , its not really big , but when i press it it not that pain just a little , what should i do ? i suspect its when i was being send off on a bike by my friend , and on the bumpy road that part keep knocking into the bike seat , and got a swollen part , but its in the inner part , is it possible for it to be swollen in the inner part ? its not movable , it just stays there . i`m afraid it would be a tumour but i play basketball and keep fit , i`m only 13 and a half , going 14 on june 16 , 174 cm , 54kg , reply me soon thx , i`m scared , also when i press the left side end of my bladder it hurts now , what should i do ?
|

replied May 27th, 2009
lump in my leg
I found a lump on my left leg upper inner thigh,I'm kind of concern is about a pee size I think if I ever found a lump in my breast that's how it would feel like..it doesn't hurt or nothing and I know it's not a vein ... can somebody tell me if I should worried about this????
|

replied December 15th, 2009
inner thigh lump
I hope you get a reply from someone because I have about the same question. I found a lump on both legs on the inner thigh. They are quite large, about the size of a large egg.. I have no idea what this is from. Didn't hurt until I noticed the bump and pressed on it. It still doesn't hurt unless I press on it. It is firm. I've had blood problems for a while and I've noticed I'm losing weight, so finding these has really scared me. I'm only 35 and have three kids that are still at home. Trying not to jump to conclusions, but it scares me just a tad. Anyone have any ideas?
|

User Profile
replied December 15th, 2009
Community Volunteer
I think when a large bump shows that shouldn't be there, that it should be checked out...This would make you feel better both now and in the future...At least call the doctor about it...Take care...

Caroline
|

replied January 13th, 2010
I too have found a lump on my inner thigh and am becoming scared it is also about a pea size. Mommydearest did you ever go to the doctor?
|

replied February 12th, 2010
Hi-
I looked at this post when my husband (22) first noticed a lump on his leg. He we through CT scans, MRIs, and XRays. It wasn't until he had a biopsy that they found out it is a rare form of cancer called a sarcoma. It's commonly a childhood cancer. His symptoms were the same as many of you have posted. For those of you that have not had it checked out I recommended you do before it is too late. I know its scary to have it tested, but it can spread, so the sooner you have it tested the better. Even though it is a rare cancer for adults my friend who is 44 has has a leg sarcoma and let it go for a year (they were both diagnosed around the same time). She is going to be ok but chemo is not working as well for her as it is for my husband.

If you don't have insurance ask your doctor if they can help or if the hospital has a charity program. I know it can cost a lot to get to that point, but most states have programs to help pay for treatment if it is cancerous. Try not only talking to your doctor, but a hospital social worker. We didn't have health insurance before he found out what was going on and it took until the biopsy to get health care, but although it means we are going to have bills it still means my husband gets to live a full life. We have only been married for 5 months, and we plan to be married for another 60 years (on earth).

I will check back for anyone who may have a question.
|

replied April 26th, 2012
Leomisarcoma
Hi i was just wondering how your husband is getting on with his sarcoma and if you could offer any advice to me as my sister is going through the same thing. She has been diagnosed with Leomisarcoma which is a rare cancer (she is 46) after first telling her she had 12 months to live , they then told her they were going to amputate her leg , only then to be told that they were going to try and remove the cancer with surgery . They operated and she now has a titanium leg inside her own skin . After months on cemo and radiotherapy she has now developed another lump on her affected leg ? She has been to see her consultant and he said it looks suspicious and she is now waiting for a biopsy and cat scan to see what it is , she is in bits . She has been treated terrible , what from telling her kids that she only has a year to live and now to the worry that it has come back Sad . We are all trying to stay positive for her She has her biopsy on Monday but its so hard. Hopefully I can get some advise on here which will give me some hope . Hope you have some better news about your husband too . Many Thanks from christine
|

replied August 9th, 2010
Lumps in thighs and hipps
Hi, I have good news and bad news. Starting with the bad news; there are many very dangerous even life threatening. I also understand why you guys are reluctant to go to the doctor. It can be very relative but it can be inexpensive, or absolutely and totally cataclysmic for your finances. In addition dot ors these days never touch your body in any way unless they have to. That being said; you will get an inconclusive x-ray for 3-600 dollars, you will then get a ct cor cat scan to "get a better look at what's going on in there." this will cost 2500$-6000$ . After which if the still think you have some money or patience, they will give you an MRI to get the clearest view possible. Still playing time for the biopsy. Mind you all of these tests have at least a month in-between. And you or you insurance have gotten the bill up to 25000$ now an nobodies laid a hand on you. Keeping in mind that the very best imaging miss 71 % of the eventual diagnosis. So you need to take charge of your own well being. If you are a male between 2 months and 35 years old there is a 60-70% chance it is a femoral or inguinal hernia. These can be bothersome to life threatening if incarceration occurs . How to tell, if the mass is large like a quarter and can be maualy pushed upward and reduced well bingo. No test just hands. There is a twenty % chance it is a form of abdominal hernia. And there is the 20% exotic answer that the tests will or may help with. Sarcomas and lipoid tumors(fat) fibromyagia , als, ms, lyphomas, amyloidosis, and an infarction of one of the blood vessels in your leg.thrombo, or emboli. Or could be a spider bite. But I don't think you want any of these things. So check your lump. Hurt worse or less when I push don or let the pressure up. Is the lump pulsitile (have a pulse.) is the skin above discolored. Is the area warm or even sweating? Area swollen? Does it change shape with time. Is it pustular (filled with puss) . Do you have a fever( are you febrile ). If so how long? Did you have a recent trauma to the area. Have recently taken a long or overseas flight. Family history is important. What event did the lump coincide with. Time lines are critical. So in conclusion be aware of you body write things down as they occur. Dr.s care not about you . You are a case to clear. Be responsible for your own health care and refuse any tests that sound odd, like the MRI after the ct scan. Ridiculous why do dr.s do it cuz they can and you will sit back like me believing they are gods and they are not. Good news 90% can be cures with treatment,bad news, 10% can't and may never be.stand up be counted. Change your motto to " the squeaky wheel gets the grease." last but not least familiarize yourself with hospital hierarchy,and use it to your advantage. The higher up u get the more answers and freebees you get. Ask yourself why does a pals that charges 60.00$ for a tissue can loose money,and I answer : the rich white guys. They take all the money from the tissues,then pulls them over you eyes. Good luck, watch your back. Me, I spend my summers fishing an golfing and winters at the chalet at Aspen. I don't work anymore cuss three doctors didn't lay hands on me or take me seriously. Now I'm dying at their lake homes with their moony buying the cabana girls an pin a coladas. Bottom line if doc treats you like u are mad out of acid slash some on him/her and watch them burn for a bit.
|

replied August 17th, 2010
Lumps in leg
After giving birth to my 1st child. I noticed a small lump in the inner side of my right thigh. At the time it was really small, so one day while taking my mum to my doctors i let him feel the lump, at the time he said nothing to be concerned about probably due to fatty tissue. So i ignored it. Since then i have had a 2nd child, & im now almost 36weeks pregnant with my 3rd. My eldest is 2 1/2 years and in that time i have now developed at least another 7 in that same leg, varying in size from big to medium size,easily felt under the skin and quite hard in texture. I have none in my left leg. What could this be? I let my mum feel them the other day and she is worried sick. Momma_Gem
|

replied November 23rd, 2010
Lumps in Leg
I am glad I found this site (I think) anyway hav had a medium size lump on my right lower leg for years (since I was a teen) years ago a doctor just glanced at it said it was most likely a fat deposit and said we'd watch it. Well recently I have noticed several smaller lumps in the same leg, the larger one is always visible, the smaller ones show when my leg is positioned different or flexed. Yesterday I also noticed them now appearing on my left leg. I do have a doctors appointment mid dec. I am vey concerned now after reading the others input here.
|

replied December 18th, 2010
help me plz
hi
i have a lump above my ankle its not sore but im just worried i have been to the doctor and she said its a ganglion but im still a bit worried im 13 plz help
thanx
|

replied December 24th, 2010
Hi, After reading a number of questions I feel I can post mine and hopfully someone will come back.

I noticed 4 lumps on my legs - 2 at start of my thighs (both legs)and then 6 inches below the first two lumpsanother 2. They are both nearly at the same place on both legs. Only one is big! I was diagnosed with breast cancer in November and have just gone through surgery. I'm very nervous in case this is cancer spreading through my body.

I do exercise quite regularly and do weights (legs and arms)but havn't walked through the gym door since my cancer diagnosis.

Anyone with any views??
|

replied January 20th, 2011
Re: Lumps in Leg
SPoynter wrote:
I am glad I found this site (I think) anyway hav had a medium size lump on my right lower leg for years (since I was a teen) years ago a doctor just glanced at it said it was most likely a fat deposit and said we'd watch it. Well recently I have noticed several smaller lumps in the same leg, the larger one is always visible, the smaller ones show when my leg is positioned different or flexed. Yesterday I also noticed them now appearing on my left leg. I do have a doctors appointment mid dec. I am vey concerned now after reading the others input here.

Hi, this is Apie, what did the doctor say?
|

replied March 27th, 2011
There is more than you can imagine working against you.
I have a good answer for you all, there is a disease that they call Morgellons, it builds tumors from fibrous material under the skin, it allows things that were fringe disease to grow inside us. Nobody knows what the vector disease is, BUT if you get a cheap digital microscope, you may end your questions. The fibers will be in your urine, dung, skin, look at any skin anomolies. When you see it, you will wonder why doctors do not have microscopes in their office, only a pad to write scripts on. You do NOT have to have itching and open sores to have Morgellons, but if you have Morgellons your health will continually be at risk, the digital microscope is a god send, as the numbers of the afflicted grow somthing will be done, this affliction is widespread.
|

replied April 22nd, 2011
5 Yr old with lump behind knee.
My 5 yr old has had a lump on the back side of his knee for about 18 months. We have taken him to a pediatrician several times for different reasons, asking about the lump on each occasion. We have been told that it is just a gland or node each time. Finnally deciding our child needs a second look we went to a new doctor. Today he had an Ultrasound. My wife said the image of his left knee looked normal while the right knee was very black and you could see it not only where the lump is but also across the whole knee. After sending in the results the doctor told the nurse to do a compression test and the lump doesn't move much or compress. Is there a chance this may be cancerous? and if it may would the location of the lump affect his ability to walk?
|

replied April 22nd, 2011
5 Yr old with lump behind knee.
My 5 yr old has had a lump on the back side of his knee for about 18 months. We have taken him to a pediatrician several times for different reasons, asking about the lump on each occasion. We have been told that it is just a gland or node each time. Finnally deciding our child needs a second look we went to a new doctor. Today he had an Ultrasound. My wife said the image of his left knee looked normal while the right knee was very black and you could see it not only where the lump is but also across the whole knee. After sending in the results the doctor told the nurse to do a compression test and the lump doesn't move much or compress. Is there a chance this may be cancerous? and if it may would the location of the lump affect his ability to walk?
|
12 >>
Tags: lump, swelling, Panic, skin, NYC
Quick Reply