Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Good Brace That May Help W/ Prolonged Standing/sitting Pain?

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
My pain comes on when Im doing prolonged standing and sitting, im sure my posture contributes to it a bit. Does anyone have any recommendations on some good braces that maybe help with this and keep my back straight.?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 21st, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Have you considered a chair that supports your posture? Or try rolling a towel and placing in along the mid-line of the spine to open your heart and drop your shoulders back. This helps posture quite a lot. To practice, you can start laying on your back with the towel along the spine. Just relax and breathe there for 10-15 breaths, and then try sitting.

Let me know if you like it...I've got a lot of tricks up my sleeve!
|

replied August 24th, 2007
oh nah, im after a brace. thanks.
anyone else?
|

User Profile
replied August 30th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
A brace can be helpful. You can get a standard lumbar support at a medical supply store. the only problem with a brace is that after a while your tummy muscles will become flaccid from using it. Their job is to be strong so that you can hold your posture without the use of a brace. So you could use it for prolonged standing or sitting, but you would want to be sure to use it for only a few hours a day and make certain you do a lot of really good core strengthening work to help save your back. Also, if you stand ona hard floor, be sure to put a padded mat under your feet. Another thing that can help is to put one leg up on a stool about 18 inches high, and then alternate to the other leg every 15 minutes or so.
|