Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vision and Eye Disorders Forum

3 Yr Old With Myopia

Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....
My 3 year old daughter has myopia. My optamologist says she needs -14 lenses in both eyes. This is worrying me a lot since both me and my husband and my other 4 kids have normal eye sight. I thought that myopia was hereditry.
In 3 weeks time I have to take her to the hospital to have her retina checked with a machine since there is a risk of retina detachment.
When she was a baby she had 2 eye infections but I treated them with eye drops and they were ok. What could have caused this acute myopia?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 20th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
I work from the basis that drs despite what we are led to believe are not gods & can be wrong, so as a parent I would do 2 things:

1) search the net & get as much information about causes of, cures & treatments for myopia as you can, including checking whether there is any evidenceto support natural alternatives like homeopathy, naturopathy, I haven't heard of any, but i'd sure check before sending my 3 yr old for surgery etc.

2) get a couple more opinions.
|

replied May 1st, 2004
My daughter was diagnosed at 18 mos. W high myopia, -18 and -23. She is 13 years old now. We have never had any surgeries but do see specialized opthamologist, retina and muscle dotors. Today I was searching the web looking for pictures of a swollen macula. We let our daughter play powder puff football last week and now she has a bruised macula. Very scary. As well, because her impairment is not visible, I have always had problems getting across to the school her medical requirements.

Her high myopia was inhereted from her father. I have been through 5 surgeries w him. And am trying to prevent this from happening to my daughter.

While searching the web I came across your question. I do not have the answer, but can sympathize w your plight.

Additionally, we have traveled many miles to find a doctor who knew how to handle her problems. If you need names let me know.
|

replied January 4th, 2013
Hi -

I read your post, and I felt some what good. My daughter is 7, got high myopia in both eyes -20! We worry very much, please let me know if your daughter went through any surgary? Any good Drs you recommend?
|

replied June 29th, 2006
Myopia
You talk about myopia like it is a disease and really it just means your nearsighted. I was born with a high myopia as well -8 in my right and -14 in my left. I have never had to have surgery as of yet though I know someday I will and I also know my risk of retinal detachment and blindness is very high. For now glasses will correct this to around 20/30 vision and contacts can come closer and improve peripheal vision as well. When your child is older then laser surgery might be a good option. Til then don't treat them like its a disorder. My son which is now 10 was born with my same problems and every year I have to explain to his new teacher that he has to sit in the front to see the board and there are certain pe activities that he cannot do and every year I take him to the eye doctor and get him new glasses and have the pressure in his eyes tested and checked for glaucoma and retinal stability. I know for you never having eye problems this bad may seem scary to you but there are worse ailments out there and this will be ok for you. Try not to worry and just do what you know you need to do, Dr. Visits ect.
|

replied August 14th, 2006
High Myopia
I was born with high myopia, I was -16 and -18 by the time I was 16. I know I had my first pair of glasses at 18 mths, now drs are better about getting kids glasses.

I can tell u that with high myopia, all physical contact sports are dangerous... And do make it more open for a detachment. But it is like playing bingo, you never know who will get it. I played lots of sports but didn't have my first detachment until I was 20. My cousin had her first detachment when she was 15 and she didn't play sports. So... I don't encourage sports but I do encourage regular retina exams. Since I was told that I have a 50/50 chance of passing it to my children, I take them every 6 months to a retina doctor. They are 9 and 10... So far there is no sign of myopia at all. I don't get it, my cousin has one child and she is only 4 but has obvious signs of myopia already.

Other hints: as your child gets older, keep the shampoo/conditioner bottles in the same place in the shower (she can't see the bottles), as well as the towels, soap, toothbrush, and toothpaste. Whenever you go to a beach or pool, make sure you set up a bright colored area, something that she can recognize without her glasses. She can't see shapes well but blobs of color... (think of looking thru a shower door). Start her early in a routine of putting her glasses in the same spot every night before bed so she can find them in the morning... It helps in the case of an emergency. Routine becomes so important when a person can't see the details but don't hold her back from learning... Nothing is worse than being afraid or having the people around you afraid of every move.

When she goes thru puberty, her vision will change a lot... It sucks but you will have to buy her new glasses every year, maybe sooner depending on how fast her vision changes. This doesn't always apply but usually applies to most high myopic ppl.
|

replied March 19th, 2010
My 14month old son diagnosed with high myopia
I read most of the threads...my son who is 14 months was diagnosed with very high myopia -16 in both eyes.
I was devastated, but realized that at this point in time we are lucky to have so many options for treatment.
I hope your kids do wel and plz remember mine in your prayers.
Thanks
|

replied November 14th, 2012
hi their could you also advise me on this as i have the same problem as you it will be very helpfull and i will always remember you in my prayers insallah
|

Greetings -

Mydaughter was same age when she was also diagnosed with high myopia. both eyes were -16, now she is 7 and got both eyes -20. I am very worried, but I hope there will be some treatment soon. I am thinking of forming a website just to help parents like us... God bless.
|

replied March 27th, 2012
My son was diagnosed with high myopia -6 when he was 9 months old. Now he is almost 4 years old and has prescription -12. We go to the doctor every 6 months and he always gets higher prescription glasses after each visit. I wonder how far this would go? What is the highest number for the glasses and what will happen if he reach that point or go over it? Our Dr said that it is like with her son who outgrew highest size of shoes in the store. Sometimes I think that she doesn't want to scare us. Does anybody know how high prescription can go?
|

I know that my daughter has both eyes -20 at 7 Sad
|

replied September 18th, 2013
Helpful Research on Myopia
Hi folks,

You can learn about some of the latest breakthroughs in vision science - including myopia - at University of Washington Medical Center, in Seattle. Dr. Jay Neitz is researching a cure for myopia, as well as color blindness. You can hear all about it on the UW Medicine Pulse Podcast, over at http://www.uwmedicinepulse.com/color-blind ness-cures-and-creativity/.

You don't even have to listen to the whole thing (which is about 20 minutes long). If you scroll to the bottom of the page, there are a few excerpts that focus specifically on myopia, so you can go directly there.

I figured anyone who's posting in this forum might be interested in knowing as much as they can about myopia and what's being done to fight it and fix it.

Hope this helps, or at least gives you some hope.

Thanks,
Mary
|

replied October 22nd, 2013
The cause of myopia has not yet been determined. In general the two highest factors that contribute to myopia are myopic parents and doing "near work". Other indications for the development of myopia include childhood illnesses, low birth weight, and near sighted siblings.For more information you can log on to site of Toronto cataract clinic.
|

replied December 21st, 2013
3 Yr Old with Myopia
Its really feeling very pity that your daughter is suffering from myopia. The main cause of acute myopia is atenelol chlorthalidone combination drugs. I am very much sure the eye drops with which you were treating your daughter contained chlorthalidone.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov