Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Anxiety & Pressure/pain In Right Side of Head

Must Read
How do you know if abdominal pain is caused by appendicitis or not? First know where to locate the appendix in your body. Learn more here....
Classic symptoms of appendicitis include pain in the center of the abdomen that moves down and to the right. Learn more about signs and symptoms of appendix pr...
Understand how to diagnose appendicitis and abdominal pain correctly. Appendicitis may be the cause of your discomfort but symptoms vary. Learn more now. ...
User Profile
For about a week now, I've been experiencing a kind of off-and-on pressure build up in the right side of my head.

It started with pressure and then sharp, sudden stabs of pain around the back of my head (right side). Each stab lasted maybe a second or two, but left a kind of pain "echo" when it disappeared. This happened maybe five or six times over the course of an hour. This then launched me into fear about aneurysm and !**@!-all, and I had a panic attack. After the panic attack subsided, I felt better and the pressure seemed to have gone.

I experienced the same thing to a lesser degree the next day, and the day after, the pressure alone. The third day's pressure also triggered a panic attack.

I finally went in to see my GP (who I don't totally trust), and he said it was probably just sinus related, told me to keep my head lowered for 15 minutes twice a day in a warm bath (to soak up the steam or whateverthefuck, I have no idea). He also said it could be a precursor to shingles.

When I asked if it could be something neurological, he dismissed the idea and gave me some 600mg ibuprofen tablets. Eek.

Here's what I know:
* The pressure seems to be made worse by stress.
* The pressure seems to go away if I lay down for awhile.
* The pressure seems to come on randomly-- sometimes right when I wake up, sometimes not until much later in the day. It rarely lasts more than an hour or so.
* I don't feel like I have any sinus congestion. My mucus is white and clean-looking.
* The stabbing pains are anywhere from mild to actually making me wince and reflexively touch my head.
* My pupil dilates normally, and I can move my eye without any problems.

What I want to know is this:

Has anyone else with GAD or panic attacks experienced this kind of one-sided head pressure?

Or has anyone experienced this kind of weird !**@! headache pressure/pain at all?

It's driving me mad and (being prone to anxiety and panic attacks) making my life miserable. I'm half convinced I have an aneurysm or a blood clot in my brain, but I know that's terribly unlikely at 23.

For the record, I'm 23, female, lean/healthy weight, ex-smoker (smoked maybe 2 years total in my life), currently not having any caffeine/liquor/nicotine (UGH), normal liver and kidney function, no thyroid problems, taking birth control (Ortho Tri-Cyclen) and 1mg Lorazepam/Ativan as needed (usually a few times a week).

Help? Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper mlaus
|

replied August 16th, 2007
Anxiety & Pressure/pain In Right Side of Hea
I have the same thing right now.Its just part of the process going on with our bodies.I had it when I was 23 y old and Im having it again now after 23 years So many years without it and...here i am again..
I thing that this is due to some medications Im using for my heart condition, Atrial fibrilation,,
It hapened 2 month after i begun the medication, I have that headache on the right side only almost everyday, i cant stop my heart medication because ILL END UP IN EMERGENCY ROOM TO BRING MY HEART AT NORMAL rythm.Most of the days i feel good but there are days ,1 or 2 which i fill very anxious with lots of byterflys in stomach
I dont know when this is going to end,To avoid these bed feeling i walk around with my wife, work very comited , and do picnic with friend on the weekends
|

replied June 10th, 2011
im 27 with the same problem. ive been trying to cope with anxiety for about 10 years now. its very exhausting and annoying. i also get the sharp pain in my head in its really scary!! it also triggers my anxiety, really eny little funny pain i have triggers my anxiety its rediculace. i just wish there was an off button to press wen i get an attack its really taking over my life!!
|

replied September 30th, 2010
I am experiencing the same symptoms as you and I just took the birth control shot on tuesday and I just don't understand it. It hurts me on the right side of my head it just feels like alot of pressure and it even hurts me to chew my food.
|

replied December 6th, 2011
I am having this problem right now as well. As for those of you on birth control: be careful. I was on Depo Provera for nearly a year and had a stroke because of it. I was only 21 and my doctor had insisted it was a safe method for me.
|

replied March 5th, 2012
I also have the same problem and sever panic attacks and anxiety and i get that weird pressure on the side of my head and i worried the same thing. that it is a blood clot or tumor or something. my doctors said it was just anxiety but i really did not believe that was even possible until i saw every ones post on here about it so it does make me feel better knowing that could just be the problem.
|

replied March 7th, 2012
Hey, I have this too. Mine has been for a year and it still scares the hell out of me!! I get dizzy constantly, head pressure maily on the left hand side with shooting pains in the same place over and over again which sends me in a spin! Also I feel like I'm not really here, or that I'm dying and know one cares! Has anyone had this with anziety? Convinced I have brain tumour xxx
|

replied May 7th, 2012
Thanks for this input. I have been experiencing this weird pressure in the right side of my head. I feel it in my temple and my ear and my neck.. I have had anxiety for soo many years, and I used to abuse xanax so I cannot really touch benozes... I take Atarax for my anxiety, which is a non-narcotic medicine for anxiety, but it is not even helping me right now. It is messing me up in school, and I have to extra focus to get my mind off of this pain. I also take ortho tri-cilcene birth control. I want this pain to go away.. It feels like no one can ever figure it out because, one, I do not have health insurance, so I do not have the funds to get tested. And two, I feel if I were to explain it to a doctor, I would waste money to get either a wrong diagnosis or not one at all.. That sucks!! But it is beginning to feel like Anxiety and stress.. I am going through a career change and I have no job, and I am broke and I am trying to be the perfect girlfriend and focus all of my energy on my future husband... I think it is making me more anxious. Why does our bodies to this to us... Trying to relax and that pain is right on my mind and will not go away... Hope this can help anyone, and if anyone has any suggestions please let me know... I still get scared that is could be a tumor and my life would change and I could never get as far as I want in life!! But I plan on getting a job, health insurance, get married and finish school, but this waiting around and moving a slow pace sucks bad... Looking for a solution to not stress myself into bad health problems..
|

replied May 8th, 2012
Hi. I haven't been on here for ages as I have been seeing a councelor and feeling much beter! I got so bad that I was fainting a few times a month. Reading your post it sounds so much like anxiety to me. You are going through so much at the moment I really feel for you. It feels horrible to be In your position as knowbody understands but if I can get through it so can you! I'm on my 2nd failed ivf cycle at the moment while all of my friends are on there 2nd baby, dealing with my mums cancer diognisis and we've just had a family member pass away, and with the councillors help I'm fine. Please hunt down some help as I know from experience how much anxiety can spiral out of control!!!!! Take care xxx
|

replied January 28th, 2013
Well, I am definitely glad to see others experiencing similar symptoms to what I have going on. (Note: I'm male, 27)

About 6 months ago, I began to feel the same type of weird pain in the right side of my head (at the side, above my ear, sometimes closer to the top of my head, accompanied by pressure behind my eye and soreness around my neck sometimes). I panicked right away not knowing what it was and because of the panic, I was getting heart palpitations all the time and stressing out big time. Feeling the pressure behind my eye, my first call was to my optometrist. They fit me in same day and did some pretty extensive tests to ensure it wasn't anything related to glaucoma, etc... All was normal in that department. Next stop was my doc about a week later, with the symptoms still persisting. Now, I have seen him many times in the last several years in regards to other symptoms relating to stress and anxiety such as chest pains and many bouts of heart palpitations. Chest x-ray, blood tests came back negative and I am booked for a cardiac stress test to see if that will show anything (in March 2013), even though my doc doesn't seem to think so (I only got the referral from him because I requested it). He also gave me a referral for a neurologist, which isn't until May 2013. He had associated the pain in my head to "stress headaches" and had basically told me to deal with it (long story short). My question is, if it's a headache, why only on ONE side?? I never feel it on my left side. What's different on the right side of my head that my left doesn't feel the same thing at the same time? Or alternate? Odd..

The pain went away for months, palpitations subsided, all was well. All of a sudden, about a week ago, the symptoms came back. Pain on right side of head like before, heart palpitations like crazy... Very unsettling. Work and life in general has been more stressful than usual, so sure, maybe that's it. At this point, it's more annoying than anything.

Anyways, just wanted to chime in to an aged thread to say that, yes, I experience the exact same thing and I hope to one day figure it out myself. Smile
|

replied August 4th, 2013
I know exactly how you feel, I feel it too. I feel as if there's a pressure building up inside my head and that my heads going to pop! It's only on the right hand side though and towards the back of my head. This sensation then sets of heart palputations, sweaty clamy hands and just a feeling of impending doom, like I'm going to pass out/faint. If my brain is like a computer, I feel it needs to be turned off and re-booted, it feels like it's the RAM has run out and it needs a restart. Strange analgy I know, but that's how it feels to me. I've been to the Docs to see about this and was prescribed fluoxetine (prozac) not that I'm terribly depressed, but it's also supposed to help with my anxiety atacks. It's been two weeks, don't feel any different with them but I've been told that they can take up to 8 weeks before you beging to nottie the dfference. I just want my old head back lol Smile
|

replied May 11th, 2013
leo03- Curious to hear what you find following the neurologist trip. I, too, have the same pressure on the right side of my head (above and around my ear). It is nearly always present and has been for about three months or so. I wrote it off as allergies, but the fact that it is always there bothers me. It seems more pronounced the more stress that I experience. I have been on the "blood clot," "brain tumor," treadmill but beginning to believe the anxiety connection may be the closest fit. My pressure does not hurt. But, I do feel al little more spaced out/foggy which is not like me as well as the occasional dizzy spell that has felt like vertigo. I do not drink or smoke and used to suffer from sever panic disorder that I have since gotten under control.

In any event, share what you find from the neurologist. It sounds like we are dealing with something very similar. I have a doctor appt on Tuesday, so I will post up, as well.
|

User Profile
replied May 15th, 2013
Hi, I'm 23, male, and I have the same problem, a pressure on the top of my head, on the right part. The weird part is that sometimes I feel it is moving; and when it moves and comes to the top middle, my nose holes get opened!!!
All these happened after a love story! but I was always dealing with anxiety and stress. I'm thinking about my love story over and over, and I remind it again and again.
I should go for a brain scan soon mayB...
|

replied September 30th, 2013
I'm 40 years old, and have also been experiencing pain and a feeling of pressure on the right side of my brain. It started in an emotionally stressful work situation. Sometimes it felt like something would burst in my brain. I'm grateful I'm out of there.

Whenever I have anything to do with my former workplace, or experience a situation of similar stress, the pain returns, though not as intensely. I wonder whether there is any link to the kind function of the right side of the brain (compared to the left)?
|

replied October 12th, 2013
HELPPPPPP
Hi myy name is rose &nd; iim havingg this pressure feelingg in myy head around myy ear yesterdayy ii was havingg a rough time wit myy kids so ii yelled so loud now myy head hfeels like there is pressure or somethingg in there ii meed help please ii suffer from anxietyy &nd; panic attackks HELP!!!!!!!!
|

replied November 3rd, 2013
Sorry for not updating sooner. To be honest, I plain forgot that I had posted on here, but here I am.

After my post back in January, I went on feeling the same pressure and discomfort at random periods on the right side of my head and behind my right eye. Fast forward 6 months from that time and I finally had my neurologist appointment (June). She did some tests of her own and we chatted for quite a bit and I was sure to tell her any and all of my symptoms. At the end of the appt, she was not overly concerned at all as to what may be going on, but she booked me for an MRI scan anyway just to rule it all out. She also gave me a prescription for a pill that would help with any migraine or headache I was experiencing, as she thought that is what I was having (I actually never ended up picking this up. I'm really not a pill popper and figured I would attempt to conquer things on my own first). I got lucky and had the MRI about a week later (Around June 23rd or so). Two weeks after that (second or third week of July, can't remember), I finally got the results and everything was NORMAL.
"No abnormalities found" was the exact wording. My doctor showed me the results report to put me at ease. Immediately I felt better. Instantly. Like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. I didn't have to worry that anything crazy was going on inside my head. A HUGE relief.

So what did my doc say then? He linked it to stress and working too hard and I just had a baby (our first) a few days before I had the MRI. So yeah, work is busy, life is busy, and I get stressed easily. Anxiety is definitely an issue (I mentioned above that I do experience heart palpitations from time to time, but those have gotten better as well). Apparently the way my body is dealing with it is to give me headaches and migraine type pain/pressure on the right side of my head and behind my eye. Fun!

Needless to say, it has been almost a year and a half since I first started feeling these symptoms. Nothing has changed. They haven't gotten any worse or anything. It still happens from time to time and I usually have to just sit back, relax and tell myself that everything is normal. It's all a mental thing. The human body is a marvel, but it isn't perfect I guess! I'm just glad everything turned out to be okay.

So if you are feeling the same thing as I have described, don't freak out. It only makes it worse. Talk to your doctor. Request the MRI scan even if they don't suggest it. It's definitely worth it to put yourself at ease.

Life is too short to stress out. One day I hope to completely conquer the anxiety I feel, but until that day, at least I know that all is well and my previous fears have been put to rest. Smile
|

replied January 14th, 2014
pressure then stabbing pain in one spot on my head for seconds.
I have recurring sharp head pain, in one spot on the upper right back corner of my head. Pressure builds up and then a sharp pain happens if I don't reach up and touch it. But if I touch it, it like diffuses and the sharp pain doesn't come. I've been having it for about 1 to 2 years now. I'm a 48 year old male. Lately I've been thinking that it happens more often, for longer bouts, more intensely when the weather is colder. Well, the weather has turned colder, and i do have more of them..but am not sure if they are related to the weather. What could this be? I get them anytime, stressed or not, so i don't think it is anxiety. It is bothersome and annoying. Could it be a nerve, a vein or artery, or what? I seem to feel it under the skin outside the skull, and always in the same spot. I used to get them rarely when they first started, once in a blue moon, and more mild, but now I get them a lot more frequently, actually very often, and they are longer in duration and more intense. But, they still only last moments, and I can still diffuse them if I always reach up and touch my head, but I don't want to be touching my head all day long off and on. It really is annoying, but I'm more worried that it may be something I should really worry about. I thought this was related to the same subject and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or ideas. I'm stumped.
|

replied January 20th, 2014
Pain in Right side of head - Anxiety & Stress
Female, early 20s - Overall very good health (Mental health: Anxiety but no Depression)

Have been experiencing a sharp pain in the right side of my head for about a week or two now. I'm no stranger to head pain, however, I tried to cut out any Tylenol, Advil or pain reliever to see if it wouldn't help as I was taking up to 4 or 6 a day depending on the severity of the pain I was experiencing.

The pain starts out as a localized pain, and eventually turns into a headache. I do work at a computer all day and have been wearing contact lenses for years (approx. 10). I recently quit smoking cigarettes and started going to the gym 5-6 times a week in order to avoid weight gain. I was also on Paxil (20 mg) last year for 6 months. I wonder if this could be related?

I have stopped taking Omega 3s as it promotes internal bleeding. I would suggest anyone taking them who is experiencing head pains put an end to this bogus treatment. Opt instead for a B vitamin. You can also split a B vitamin in 2 and only take a half if you eat balanced meals. It will improve your mood and perhaps get your mind off of any pain you may be experiencing.

With regards to working out and this pain, I only have one word: Excruciating. Anyone who suffers from Anxiety knows that any time you feel pain, it becomes instantly magnified and a wave of worry washes over you. You ask yourself a million questions about what could be wrong with you and end up having a lapse in time where you may begin to feel dizzy, disoriented, dismayed. Every time I get my heart rate up, whether it is during a workout (which I will admit, are rather above-average intensity as I am in good shape) or sex, this pain returns.
|