Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Post Coital Bleeding After a Long Period of Abstinence

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
After an abstinence of several years, I experienced bleeding after intercourse. The sex was not at all rough, but I did experience an aching sensation in my abdomen and light bleeding that lasted until morning.

I am on birth control (the ring) and have no STDs (tested). Can't seem to find much information on this situation. Can anyone shed light?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper workit52
|

replied August 16th, 2007
This actually happened to me last night after not having sex for several weeks, I hope someone that knows will post a reply I am freaking out.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Bleeding after sex is actually really common- regardless of how long it's been since you've had sex. Especially if he fingered you at all during foreplay, because fingernails are nasty things to a vagina. Or if you weren't properly lubricated, small tears or scratches can happen in your vagina or the labia minora. If the sex was particularly rough or he was banging on your vagina, that would cause the soreness even if it didn't hurt at the time.

If the ring is bothering you during sex, you can take it out. Many times my husband would pull out when we were done and the ring would be around his penis, it was quite funny. So if it gets in the way, just take it out before and put it back in after. But don't ever leave it out for more than three hours.

If your vagina feels irritated (like it's scratchy or hurts to pee, etc.)and you don't think it's related to lubrication,etc. then that could be due to the ring.
|

Especially eHealthy
PrimaDonna wrote:
This actually happened to me last night after not having sex for several weeks, I hope someone that knows will post a reply I am freaking out.

I wouldn't freak out at all... so many fairly harmless things can cuse bleeding during sex that it's nothing to worry about. Dryness, nails, abrasion...
|

replied August 17th, 2007
hey
ive had the same problem, but im worried about how long i am bleeding for after. im still bleeding 2 days later, its like a mini period. it happened last time i had sex and the time before.
is it normal to bleed for so long?
|

replied August 17th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I would discuss this with an ob-gyn. Bleeding after sex can be signs of something else.
|