Medical Questions > Parenting > Parenting Community Forum

Need Some Help On the Breastfeeding...

Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....
User Profile
Alfies a week old today and the feeding is going surprisingly well. I bottle fed my other boys so although hes my third I am new to this and have a few questions!

I said its going well and it is... he latches on well, feeds well and so far (touch wood) apart from a few aches my boobs feel fine. The only problem I do have is that he feeds all the time!! I know breastfed babies are supposed to feed more, but this is ridiculous, this morning I started feeding him at 9am and was still there at 11am. Everytime he fell asleep and came off the boob I tried to lay him down and he awoke again screaming. The only thing that would calm him was more feeding. This is becoming his regular pattern. I managed to lay him down at 11am put some washing on and then he was crying for more again!! I am constantly feeding him all day long.

Dont get me wrong I love doing it, I would be quite happy to sit down and cuddle him all day but I have 2 other boys and I am beginning to feel like I never see them! I havent done hardly anything with them today as so much of my time has been filled with Alfie and thats making me alittle miserable.

Is it normal for a baby to feed forever like this or is he just plain greedy?? Will this ever calm down? If it carries on like this I know I am going to have to stop. Sad In a couple of weeks Aydan is back at school and Lucas will have playschool and at the moment I cant see me even having time to put a coat on let alone get out the door!! I dont see my midwife again untill saturday so some advise would be great!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 15th, 2007
Most Diplomatic Poster
Hey Jo. I wish I had some good advice to give you but I don't have much experience myself. My Eadie is a cluster feeder so she will eat every hour for about 4 or 5 hours then sleep 3 or 4 hours, so I guess I am pretty lucky that way. I don't know how I would do it if I had other kids to take care of. It's all I can do to get showered and dressed and get my dishes done. I just want to say good luck and I hope you can get some answers here. You're a real trooper to be giving it a chance and I hope it works out for you.
|

My kids all expected to be held when they slept, so I would breast feed them and typically they would fall asleep while nursing. If I tried to lay them down, they would wake up within a few minutes so I had to let them nurse once again until they fell asleep. It gets frustrating and with 2 other children besides a baby, I have found it really difficult to divide my time equally between the children. Have you tried a pacifier? Maybe even a front carrier or a sling that way Alfie can feel you nearby. Swaddling might also work. I guess if he feels snug and secure he might sleep better once you lay him down. I wish I could be more help, but unfortunately I was never able to get my kids out of that habit (as I'm typing this, my 9 month old is sleeping in my arms).

Best of luck to you.

Christina
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
I had the same problem with Alyvia. I would either have to wait until she was in a coma-like sleep or just let her sleep on me. Of course, she's my only child and I didn't have others to care for, so I really don't know what advice I can give you.

It's possible that he's cluster-feeding because he's going through a growth spurt, but I can't say for sure. But I wish you the best of luck!

How are the boys adjusting to having a baby brother?
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I can completely relate. Brian is five weeks old now and shows no sign of slowing down. I feel like sometimes he is on my boob for about two hours. He is a "snacker." He has gained almost a pound a week since the second week. On the second week he was 6 pounds, 13 ounces and he now weighs over 10 pounds. I breastfed my first child and he was easy compared to Brian. Looks like my lil' one is going to be a big baby. Every baby is different so it's hard to know what Alfie will be like. I hope you get some relief soon. I feel like a constant milking machine. The only time I can get Brian to smile is when I pull it out during feeding time.
|