Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Black Colon

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
i went to the doctor for a colonoscopy test. but the doctor did not say anything to me the only thing he said wow! my colon was black, then ask me if i am a constipated, i replay i been constipated since i was a child. then he said if my doctors knows about it i said yes. then he ask me if i take stool softeners? i said yes. because somethimes i go out for 4 ore more days with out going to the bathroom. and the last past 6 years i been taking a natural whole herb named: cascara sagrada 450mg. 2 capsules in the morning. that is the only thing that i helps me. my doctor will not get this report until 2 weeks mean while i will like to know what that means. also he said he will suggest my doctor to order a x'ray of my colon.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper FitPro
|

replied September 3rd, 2007
Experienced User
from my own experience, what you refer to as "black colon" is also called " melanosis coli" which means: it's a condition associated with chronic laxative use in which dark pigment is deposited in the lining layers of the large intestine(which is the colon). the pigment results in a characteristic dark brown to black lining of the large intestine.

it goes away sometimes if the laxative is stopped. these certain laxatives are referred as an anthroid group, which have rhubarb derivatives in it. many of these laxatives have been used for hundreds of years. in 1997 the FDA banned the use of the popular anthranoid laxative "phenolphthalein due to fears that it might be cancer causing. animal studies have shown that extremely high doses of it let to tumors in animals which may cause cancer in humans.

I'm not sure if Cascara or Senna are the ingredients that cause this pigmentation?

I was only using a health food store product that was supposed to be safer than most over the counter laxatives and had no idea it would lead up the diagnosis of this pigmentation. they say it's caused by abuse of laxatives. I wasn't abusing any laxatives and had only used it a few times to get back my balance restored because I'd just had major abdominal surgery from having a total hysterectomy and then when I was home recovering when I wound up having to go back in the hospital for a partial blockage. surgery and pain medication and not getting out of bed enough can all cause your bowels to be sluggish and cause constipation.

it was horrible. so I thought by taking the senna or cascara would be a natural alternative which my dr told me to stop taking.

they don't warn you this on the back of the bottles and I think the companies should state a warning about it.

they used to think this condition was a precursor to colon cancer, but further studies have proven that's not so.

just thought this might be helpful to you. google "melanosis coli".
maybe it will explain it better than I tried to.
good luck with everything.

L.
|

replied April 28th, 2012
blackened intestines
I just had a colonoscopy and the doctor said that my intestines were really black and asked me if I had been using a lot of laxatives so I said no. I have no problems with bowel movements since I was a child.

Now, I wonder what has caused my intestines to get black.

LK
|

replied March 28th, 2013
black colon
I also had a black colon detected from a colonoscopy and I have never used laxatives. I have owned a health food store for 20 + years so I know what I am taking. This is a mystery to me.
|

replied May 12th, 2013
Black Colon
I just had a colonoscopy that resulted in the revelation of black colon as well. Have had to find ways to naturally keep constipation at bay - a problem since childhood. I took Cascara Sagrada as a safer alternative to laxatives. Due to extreme health issues arising which included chronic diarrhea I've not needed to take anything for regularity for awhile. Yet I was told the condition was a result of laxative abuse. I respectfully listened. But am not convinced. Searching to insure answers to the real problem.
|

replied May 12th, 2013
I looked up Cascara Sagrada on Wikipedia and found this.

Historical background

The dried, aged bark of R. purshiana has been used continually for many years by both Pacific northwest native peoples as a laxative natural medicine, as one of several anthraquinone-containing herbal medicines including the leaf and fruits of senna, the latex of Aloe vera, and the root of the rhubarb plant.[13] Commercially it is called "Cascara Sagrada" ('sacred bark' in Spanish), while traditionally it is known as "chittem bark".[14]
|

replied July 20th, 2013
I have been constipated since infacy. No relief in sight. I do take a certain laxative and I cannot help it because I will go days on end w/o a bm. I was born constipated and no one seemed to have cared In mylate 20's, I WAS D I had Hirschrpung's. Now the damage to my colon is done. Wow. Couldn't find Hirschrpung's back in the 60's when it was discovered in the 1880's. wow. Thanks my academic and work career are ruined
|

replied July 20th, 2013
Hirschprung's
I have been constipated since infacy. No relief in sight. I do take a certain laxative and I cannot help it because I will go days on end w/o a bm. I was born constipated and no one seemed to have cared In mylate 20's, I WAS D I had Hirschrpung's. Now the damage to my colon is done. Wow. Couldn't find Hirschrpung's back in the 60's when it was discovered in the 1880's. wow. Thanks my academic and work career are ruined
|

replied July 20th, 2013
So why did it take so long to find it was Hirschrpung's? Also, when I was little, my pediatrican said give an enema as needed; which was many times. I AM RUINED NOW. How pissed am I? I also have Cushing's. Mom had mono when she was preggers for me. When it was made as clear as day by Dr Hirschrpung and Dr. Cushing, why was this so hard to diagnosed?
|