Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Extreme Irritability (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I am exrememly irritable to the point that I have to leave an area if someone is chewing loud, breathing loud, shaking their legs/feet, cracking gum, etc. I can't stand when people breath, chew, and shake a body part and I become very angry and agitated. This affects me at work, eating at restaurants, flying, taking the train, and basically anywhere I go. If anyone knows anything about what could be wrong with me please let me know.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper dontpanic
|
Users who thank KaLi319 for this post: jsx2000 

User Profile
replied August 14th, 2007
Experienced User
Re: Extreme Irritability
KaLi319 wrote:
I am exrememly irritable to the point that I have to leave an area if someone is chewing loud, breathing loud, shaking their legs/feet, cracking gum, etc. I can't stand when people breath, chew, and shake a body part and I become very angry and agitated. This affects me at work, eating at restaurants, flying, taking the train, and basically anywhere I go. If anyone knows anything about what could be wrong with me please let me know.

Have you talked to your doctor about any of this?
|

replied March 18th, 2012
I know exactly what you mean. I am 52 and seeking hormone imbalance therapy. They found that I am estrogen dominant. At age 52 can u believe it? Plus my ovaries are still functioning and no sign up pre-menopause yet. I had my uterus removed about 7 years ago because I had endometreosis. I am currently on bioidentical progesterone cream and the Dr. is trying to get the dose just right. I can tell you it needs to be upped because my insides hurt (reminds me exactly of pms) and I am so irritable the least little thing ticks me off. I am a fitness coach and when I exercise my breasts are tender.
|

replied August 16th, 2007
metalcrystal wrote:
KaLi319 wrote:

I wasn't sure if I should find a specialty doctor or just my regular physician.
|

User Profile
replied August 16th, 2007
Experienced User
KaLi319 wrote:
metalcrystal wrote:
KaLi319 wrote:

I wasn't sure if I should find a specialty doctor or just my regular physician.

Start with your Internist, that's who I see. She is amazing and listens to me when I go in .You would be surprised how many people they see with anxiety issues. Then if its something they can't handle they can refer you someone else. Good luck and I hope you feel beter soon.
|

replied March 1st, 2009
whatever becameof this?
Hello, just wondering what your diagnosis was because I'm feeling the same way. In addition to what you said though I am feeling this way no matter what the situation. Everything seems to bother me. If you're still on this board, please post. Thanks!
|

replied March 2nd, 2009
I am still dealing...
I never found out. I am unfortunately still dealing with it. If you ever find out anything please let me know!!
|

User Profile
replied March 14th, 2009
Same symptom!
I've been experiencing the exact same symptom. I'm wondering whether you've gone to your doctor about this or not, and what he/she said? Also, what other symptoms is everyone experiencing in addition to extreme irritability? Thank you and good luck to everyone!
|

replied July 7th, 2009
Wow...it feels so good to know that someone else is going through the same thing. I am going to try bio-identical hormone therapy. I have tried acupuncture and herbs but nothing seems to work. Let me know if you have had any other success and I will keep you posted on my progress. Good luck!
|

replied August 7th, 2009
Extreme irritability and anxiety
I have this exact same problem and it is only getting worse. I am extremely irritated and even angry at the sound of people chewing, breathing, twitching, movements of hands/legs/feet, and even just the sound of certain people's voice. This severely affects my work because my boss has a very bad twitching / muscle jerking problem and it causes me to come close to an all-out panic attack. The sound of his voice does this to me as well. I actually never even noticed having this problem until I started this job, but it is not just him - it can be any one any where. In addition, other noises such as hearing a knocking sound or tapping or even sometimes hearing my husband play guitar in another room makes me extremely irritable. It's almost as if I have super hearing and everything just sounds louder than it should. It can basically be anything and I get irritated. I am also very jumpy / startle easily and have problems with my jaw clenching and having a tingling sensation. I figure that it must all stem from severe anxiety, but I haven't really been able to find other people that have such high irritability of this type with anxiety. It is very crippling and no matter how irrational I know my feelings are, I can't stop feeling so irritable and angry. I am going to the doc next week and I will post again...
|
Users who thank peytonlan for this post: jsx2000 

replied June 29th, 2011
I'm in the same boat as you! My husband is a VERY loud eater and I feel this pit in the middle of my stomach when we have meals together. I get really irritable with people's driving and even with my poor children! I'm finding that Xanax is helping to take that edge off to where I can function.
|

replied August 8th, 2009
Yes...please let me know what your doctor says. I didn't try the bio-identical hormone therapy but am still considering it.
|

replied October 9th, 2009
Extreme Irritability
Hello all,
I have the same symptoms of extreme irritability, the slightest noise will set me off like someone chewing loud or cracking their knuckles. My irritability seems to be getting progressively worse to a point where certain cloths, such as tight jeans bother me and I can�t be around people because I can no longer hide my anger and agitation. I talked to my gyno about it since the symptoms are most prominent during PMS and he gave me a low dosage of Zoloft to take the edge off. I did not take it, because I am worried about the side effects� If anyone is or has taken any antidepressants that have helped with their irritability, please let me know.
|
Users who thank marnas for this post: jsx2000 

replied October 17th, 2009
Hi - I have been irritated for as long as I can remember about loud breathing, snoring, and ticking clocks - repetitious sounds that never go away - it's all I can hear. I get so irritated at loud snoring, it makes me want to strangle someone. I don't know if it's because growing up, each of my parents snored soooo loudly that you could hear them on the other end of the house, even if all the doors in between were closed.

For me it seems to set off a feeling like someone is struggling for oxygen. Or maybe I associate it with struggling in general, someone not at ease or at dis-ease with their body - or mistreating their body. Maybe because most people who breathe loudly seem to be overweight - and it's like they struggle to get everywhere. Me having to hear them breathe is like me having to take on their burden and struggling.

To answer your question about ZOLOFT - I took a very low dose of it for 10 years. I had almost no side effects, and felt very safe taking it. And you can conceivably take it forever if you want to - it's not addictive, and not dangerous. I've heard some people have side effects like upset stomach, etc - but I didn't have any of it. It helped me out a lot. Still, while taking it, it did nothing for my irritability with sound, but it did help take the edge off of other things like stress.

If you're a really emotional person, or have very detailed emotions, seems like it blunts you down a little bit, in a good way. After I took it, I thought to myself, "this is what everyone else must feel like."

I had a very positive reaction to it.

Hope you're doing ok, and feeling better.

I don't know what the irritability thing about sound is, if there's an associated diagnosis with that, if anyone finds out, let me know.

Smile
|

replied November 5th, 2009
I have the same problem. The sound of anyone chewing makes me SO angry. It seems so irrational, doesn't it? My parents are both loud chewers, and I think my having to endure the chewing torture at every meal is part of why I was so angry during a lot of my youth.

What is it about the sound of eating, in particular, that is so intensely aggravating? I've never been able to figure that out but from looking around on the web it seems pretty common.

When we were engaged, I had to explain to my husband, very frankly, that this is just the way I am, and I can't change it, and I am simply unable to tune out annoying noises. I said, I know it's insane, I'm well aware of that fact, and I won't defend it, but please be aware of it. He's been very good about it. Also I am making sure our two children grow up with good manners and don't eat or chew noisily!

I have been on Zoloft for 13 years and it has helped tremendously with this problem, but I am still a lot more sensitive to noises than most people. When I am stressed out it extends to visual stimuli as well- repetitive motions in my peripheral vision will make me feel rage.

My psychiatrist told me, way back when he put me on the Zoloft to begin with, that extreme irritability is considered a form of depression. I suppose there is some neurological or chemical reason for this.
|
Users who thank Bugpuncher for this post: jsx2000 

replied November 23rd, 2009
This has been me since I was in High school
THis is me too! Just thinking about these things is causing me such irritability. I am so angry at everyone all the time because they are irritating me. It has ruined my ability to function normally. At home, I cry almost every night, because my husband constantly shakes, cracks his knuckles, chews loudly, his jaw cracks when he eats, and my next door neighbor constantly clears his throat and I can hear him through the wall.

How can we all have these same exact symptoms? These same triggers of sounds and movements? This has to be something more than depression and anxiety.
|

replied November 23rd, 2009
I think there is so much junk in our food, air and water, that we are all affected by it even before we are born. Probably some common contaminant messes us up and we wind up with these bizarre symptoms. Like for instance many people born near the Hanford nuclear plant in Washington, are missing part of their left arm. The contaminant in their environment affected them all in the same odd way...I think with the huge numbers of people on antidepressants, it's the same situation. Maybe it's something to do with our everyday use of plastics. Just a guess.
|

replied November 26th, 2009
Hey guys,I cant believe im not all alone in this woorld with my constant "pain"!
The chewing gum/eating,the coughing,breathing twitching,
the nail picking,fidgeting of others etc etc that has persistantly haunted me all my life is understood/experienced by others!
I truly thought I was alone.
i have found a normal life impossible as a result of my torture.you cannot even mention it to others as you come across as mad.Even now as i type in the Library I am surrounded by people coughing constantly and eating loudly,which i am finding unbearable.I will be in touch.Maybe together we can find a way out of this hell?
|

replied December 22nd, 2009
Hi Everybody...

I am glad to find others who relate. My irritability has been off and on for years, but lately it has increased to the point that I can barely function. I'm at work and the sound of my co-workers' voices, and even the sound of my own typing, is about to make me come out of my skin. I want to eat lunch with my best friend, but his voice has been annoying me so much that I'm not sure I can physically handle it.

I'm on Prozac and Lamictal because I've been diagnosed as Bipolar II but not sure I believe that (seems like Bipolar is a bit over-diagnosed). The meds helped at first, but seem to be wearing off or something.

Even right now a co-worker, who is also my friend, came to talk to me and it took everything I had to be nice.

Help!!!
|

replied December 26th, 2009
I am a young adult who has been dealing with the extreme irritability since I was a small child. Classes are increasingly difficult for me to concentrate in, so I asked me doctor who then put me on Lexapro.

Surprisingly, Lexapro takes away most of the extreme irritability, I still have these annoyances but don't necessarily have to leave the room or have the breakdowns I use to; however, my emotions are all over the place with it and am seeking an alternative.

As most of you, I am shocked at how many other people experience these things. My doctor tried to tell me it was normal, but I know to this extreme it is not. Any advice as to how to handle it or items to help would be greatly appreciated.
|

replied January 5th, 2010
Noise!! Chewing!!
I can hardly sit and the dinner table and eat with my family any more. The chewing and the forks hitting the plates is too hard to endure. I just leave angry. Anytime anyone sneezes in my family, they look at me and apoligize. I should say "god bless you" but I am too irritated. I have seen a psychiatrist for this symptom since 2005. I have tried mood levelers, antidepressants, and xanax. Xanax makes me sleepy but it takes the edge off. However, it is far from making me functional. I am sad that everyone has experienced these symptoms but this will be helpfu to tell my Doctor that it is not just me.
|

replied January 8th, 2010
so i was searching the web about the way i feel and this poped up.. i cant beleive im not alone its effecting my family and now iam so irritable i take it out on my kid.. i hate any kind of noise exspecially when iam ready for bed. and my boyfriend my sons father when he chews its loud and we fight and if he snors or burbs or anything its all wrong and i tell him its me . and i went to the doctor and guess what they say? I have bipolar and these sympotoms do fit it. i am irritable and depressed so i am wondering if any of you think this is by polar cause i have all these symptoms that all of you have its sooo sooo crazy...please help !!! its runing my life! Sara
|